Looking for real-world Magma application

Looking for real-world Magma application

Igor Stasenko
Hello all,
sorry for cross-posting. :)

I'd like to ask you, if anyone could share either an image or
installation with application,
which using Magma OODB.
I'd like to use it & test how changing different aspects of Magma
internals could affect the performance.

There's many tricks, which is known by Chris how to speed it up by
cleverly fine-tuning various Magma options,
like read strategy etc.
But what i'd like is to see, is some setup, used by people, and by
taking it, see how it could make run faster,
without changing an application code.

I remember, someone gave a talk @ ESUG, that they were using Magma for
their application,
but then forced to switch to another DB layer, because they had bad
performance issues.
It would be good, if you could give me the code, so i can run it and
see if things could be improved.
Its not a problem, if code is not open-source, we could sign an NDA,
if this is necessary.

I need something real, simply because benchmarks sometimes not
representative. :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Looking for real-world Magma application

Johan Brichau-2
Hi Igor,

I guess that you are referring to us ;-)

We indeed switched from Magma to GOODS and now to Gemstone, mainly because of performance issues.
To remain db-independent, we have created a database abstraction layer that can be used with any of the aforementioned databases. We are currently preparing to open-source the generic part and we can send you our specific Magma specialization with representative queries made by our application.

We should be able to get that to you asap!

Johan

On 21 October 2010 10:26, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Igor,
>
> I guess that you are referring to us ;-)
>
> We indeed switched from Magma to GOODS and now to Gemstone, mainly because of performance issues.
> To remain db-independent, we have created a database abstraction layer that can be used with any of the aforementioned databases. We are currently preparing to open-source the generic part and we can send you our specific Magma specialization with representative queries made by our application.
>
> We should be able to get that to you asap!

Thank you, Johan.
Please keep me updated :)

> Johan
>
> On 21 Oct 2010, at 08:33, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>> sorry for cross-posting. :)
>>
>> I'd like to ask you, if anyone could share either an image or
>> installation with application,
>> which using Magma OODB.
>> I'd like to use it & test how changing different aspects of Magma
>> internals could affect the performance.
>>
>> There's many tricks, which is known by Chris how to speed it up by
>> cleverly fine-tuning various Magma options,
>> like read strategy etc.
>> But what i'd like is to see, is some setup, used by people, and by
>> taking it, see how it could make run faster,
>> without changing an application code.
>>
>> I remember, someone gave a talk @ ESUG, that they were using Magma for
>> their application,
>> but then forced to switch to another DB layer, because they had bad
>> performance issues.
>> It would be good, if you could give me the code, so i can run it and
>> see if things could be improved.
>> Its not a problem, if code is not open-source, we could sign an NDA,
>> if this is necessary.
>>
>> I need something real, simply because benchmarks sometimes not
>> representative. :)
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Looking for real-world Magma application

Dennis Schetinin
Is your database abstraction layer description available somewhere? Or it's a secret weapon?

2010/10/21 Johan Brichau <[hidden email]>
Hi Igor,

I guess that you are referring to us ;-)

We indeed switched from Magma to GOODS and now to Gemstone, mainly because of performance issues.
To remain db-independent, we have created a database abstraction layer that can be used with any of the aforementioned databases. We are currently preparing to open-source the generic part and we can send you our specific Magma specialization with representative queries made by our application.

We should be able to get that to you asap!

Johan

On 21 Oct 2010, at 08:33, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Hello all,
> sorry for cross-posting. :)
>
> I'd like to ask you, if anyone could share either an image or
> installation with application,
> which using Magma OODB.
> I'd like to use it & test how changing different aspects of Magma
> internals could affect the performance.
>
> There's many tricks, which is known by Chris how to speed it up by
> cleverly fine-tuning various Magma options,
> like read strategy etc.
> But what i'd like is to see, is some setup, used by people, and by
> taking it, see how it could make run faster,
> without changing an application code.
>
> I remember, someone gave a talk @ ESUG, that they were using Magma for
> their application,
> but then forced to switch to another DB layer, because they had bad
> performance issues.
> It would be good, if you could give me the code, so i can run it and
> see if things could be improved.
> Its not a problem, if code is not open-source, we could sign an NDA,
> if this is necessary.
>
> I need something real, simply because benchmarks sometimes not
> representative. :)
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Dennis Schetinin

Re: Looking for real-world Magma application

Mirko-2
Hi Johan,
I would be very interested in your DB abstraction layer, too!
It would be great if there is a way to get an early version of the code
you plan to open-source? I wouldn't mind it not being entirely generic, yet.

Regards,
Mirko