Looking for small boards and tiny computers which can run Pharo

Looking for small boards and tiny computers which can run Pharo

Steven Costiou-2

Hi,

i am looking for:

- small hardware, boards/computers, "embeddable" devices, etc. that can run Pharo (except Raspberry pi that i already know)

- robots, flying drones or things alike with an open linux which can possibly run Pharo

Could somebody points me to documentation or web sites where such things can be found ?

Thanks,

Steven.

Re: Looking for small boards and tiny computers which can run Pharo

Denis Kudriashov
Hi.

Pharo works on Beaglebone. And I am pretty sure that it will work on other ARM/Linux based computers

i am looking for:

- small hardware, boards/computers, "embeddable" devices, etc. that can run Pharo (except Raspberry pi that i already know)

- robots, flying drones or things alike with an open linux which can possibly run Pharo

Could somebody points me to documentation or web sites where such things can be found ?

Thanks,

Steven.

Re: Looking for small boards and tiny computers which can run Pharo

Attila Magyar
The esp32 is not capable of running Pharo unfortunatelly. It's not Linux based, it has a realtime operating system called FreeRTOS and the amount of memory it has is also quite limited. It's more like a microcontroller than a single board computer.

Re: Looking for small boards and tiny computers which can run Pharo

Bruce O'Neel-2

With a bit of work it probably fits on one of these:

If you feel on really wasting space this would work as well, though it would need some porting if you wanted to run it locally.

If you don't want the display and keyboard and want to run it remote this will work then, it's the CPU from the above.

If I get some free time I can poke at these and see how well Squeak etc runs.

cheers

bruce

24 July 2017 21:30 Steven Costiou <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

i am looking for:

- small hardware, boards/computers, "embeddable" devices, etc. that can run Pharo (except Raspberry pi that i already know)

- robots, flying drones or things alike with an open linux which can possibly run Pharo

Could somebody points me to documentation or web sites where such things can be found ?

Thanks,

Steven.

Re: Looking for small boards and tiny computers which can run Pharo

Ben Coman

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 9:18 PM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wasn’t there another board that Ben was talking about recently - http://blog.openinworld.com/2017/06/evening-with-pharo-esp32/ (esp32?)

That was only Pharo on a laptop interfacing to the ESP32 over USB serial port.  Suitable to provide a GUI interface to a microcontroller application, but not actually Pharo running on the ESP32.

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 10:06 PM, Attila Magyar <[hidden email]> wrote:
The esp32 is not capable of running Pharo unfortunatelly. It's not Linux
based, it has a realtime operating system called FreeRTOS and the amount of
memory it has is also quite limited. It's more like a microcontroller than a
single board computer.

The ESP32 is exactly a microcontroller, but I'm hopeful it might have the capacity to run Pharo.
Onboard it has 520KB SRAM and offboard can use 8MB SPI-SRAM (at 80MHz) and 16MB SPI-Flash memory,
which seems close to feasible to run a minimal image on.  Without a GUI loop I'd be its 266MHz 600MIPS** processor might be sufficient for Pharo to run small embedded applications.

**Roughly equivalent to 1998 $2300 Mac_G3/333 (https://www.frc.ri.cmu.edu/~hpm/book97/ch3/processor.list.txt).

And each year these cheap $20 microcontrollers get more powerful. FreeRTOS may be a likely candidate to support each new platform (http://www.freertos.org/RTOS_ports.html) may make an interesting target for a VM port, even if only the StackInterpreter.

btw, from wikipedia... "FreeRTOS can be thought of as a 'thread library' rather than an 'operating system', although command line interface and POSIX-like I/O abstraction add-ons are available.  The kernel itself consists of only three C files."  One obstacle to overcome would be how the VM makes use of memory mapped files, since that facility seems unavailable on FreeRTOS.

cheers -ben

i am looking for:

- small hardware, boards/computers, "embeddable" devices, etc. that can run Pharo (except Raspberry pi that i already know)

- robots, flying drones or things alike with an open linux which can possibly run Pharo

Could somebody points me to documentation or web sites where such things can be found ?

Thanks,

Steven.

Steven.

Re: Looking for small boards and tiny computers which can run Pharo

Marcus Denker-4

On 24 Jul 2017, at 21:30, Steven Costiou <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

i am looking for:

- small hardware, boards/computers, "embeddable" devices, etc. that can run Pharo (except Raspberry pi that i already know)

- robots, flying drones or things alike with an open linux which can possibly run Pharo

For Drones, this looks interesting:

It’s compatible to the beaglebone black (it’s a beagle bone black + lots of I/O for robotics).

Another nice platform is the NanoPI, we have managed to run Pharo on this:

There are now many variations/newer versions (64bit, wireless…).

Marcus

Re: Looking for small boards and tiny computers which can run Pharo

Jonathan van Alteren
Hi Steven,

I found your message and was wondering if you're still working on this.
I did some IoT stuff with the little Teensy 3.2 boards, which I find very
convenient to use. The new 3.6 board has more memory (1Mb flash and 256Kb
RAM).

See info and seller here:
- https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/techspecs.html
- https://www.antratek.com/boards/arduino-compatible/teensy

Can I follow your progress anywhere?

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Re: Looking for small boards and tiny computers which can run Pharo

Steven Costiou-2

Hi,

thanks for the links :)

Yes i am still working on this topic, however i chose to focus on Raaspbery Pi. It is quite handy to have an embedded linux to experiment things. I do not have a public page on my projects at the moment, but there is the Pharo-iot github project that gather work of the community on the subject (https://github.com/pharo-iot).

Did you manage to launch Pharo on the Teensy boards?

Steven.

Le 2018-03-23 08:47, Jonathan van Alteren a écrit :

Hi Steven,

I found your message and was wondering if you're still working on this.
I did some IoT stuff with the little Teensy 3.2 boards, which I find very
convenient to use. The new 3.6 board has more memory (1Mb flash and 256Kb
RAM).

See info and seller here:
- https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/techspecs.html
- https://www.antratek.com/boards/arduino-compatible/teensy

Can I follow your progress anywhere?

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Re: Looking for small boards and tiny computers which can run Pharo

Marcus Denker-4
Hi,

There are other interesting tiny boards that should fit well with Pharo-IOT (we should

of course:

but then, there are many and it should be relatively easy to get running there:

beaglebone pocket:

Nanpi Duo:

CHIP

or industrial platforms like http://www.variscite.com/variscite-products

On 23 Mar 2018, at 20:18, Steven Costiou <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

No, I haven't done much with Pharo yet, least of all adapt it to run on an
IoT device ;-) I'm interested though, but it will take me considerable time
to reach that level of experience.

I've got a BeagleBone Black running some Node.js things though, and would
love to add Pharo to the mix. I like the BB better than the Raspberry Pi
because it has 4Gb MMC on board, instead of having to rely on an SD card
(which can get corrupt in case of power loss).

I will try Pharo IoT in time, either on RPi or BB. Thanks!

Jonathan

Re: Looking for small boards and tiny computers which can run Pharo

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi Jonathan

we are interested too.

Stef