Looking to pare down LK

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Looking to pare down LK

Dave Mason
Lively Kernel is way cool!

Unfortunately, it doesn't address my needs directly.

I am developing a web app and I want 2 things:

1) a nice IDE that lets me develop Javascript code, test it out, and
where I can hide it when I need the whole screen for the app.  LK does
(most) of this.

2) the deliverable needs to load very quickly, so I need to be able to
deploy something where (at least most of LK) is out of the picture.
The app was previously written with Amber Smalltalk so depends on a
very Smalltalk-like class hierarchy, so I would want most of what is
in the base "classes" in core/lively/lang but not much more (maybe
net, definitely not morphic).

Is this doable?  Is there a template for it, or a how-to?

(Actually the app is currently in Amber Smalltalk, but I'm considering
moving to more-or-less pure javascript.  I would write tools to
automatically translate translate the Smalltalk to Javascript/LK.
Hmm, I wonder how doable it would be to add a Smalltalk parser/editor
to edit the .st files directly.  It would obviously have a different
object/class model, but could use Smalltalk syntax.  Any opinion on
how difficult that would be?)

Thanks  ../Dave
_______________________________________________
lively-kernel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/listinfo/lively-kernel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Looking to pare down LK

Robert Krahn-4
Hi, Dave --

For one part you can remote develop web pages in an iFrame, like I outlined it with the slider page in this video:

Another option is to connect to the JS runtime of existing webpages via Lively2Lively:

Using Lively as an IDE for other environments is also possible since we provide a shell integration for starting and controlling OS processes and various language hookups, e.g. to evaluate Python, R or Clojure code. However, this might not be relevant for your project.

In terms of library support: I prepared a small compat library that allows to load Lively scripts and modules on any webpage.
An example is running here:

Basically, just http://lively-web.org/users/robertkrahn/just-the-core/pre-lively.js (the compat script) is needed and then you can add whatever Lively modules and scripts you need. The the HTML source code of the example.html file.

Side note: We currently extracting the Lively independent JS language additions into https://github.com/LivelyKernel/js-lib.

Best,
Robert

_______________________________________________
lively-kernel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/listinfo/lively-kernel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Looking to pare down LK

Robert Krahn-4
In reply to this post by Dave Mason
I put the last part of my previous answer into a small tutorial:

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:28 PM, David Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:
Lively Kernel is way cool!

Unfortunately, it doesn't address my needs directly.

I am developing a web app and I want 2 things:

1) a nice IDE that lets me develop Javascript code, test it out, and
where I can hide it when I need the whole screen for the app.  LK does
(most) of this.

2) the deliverable needs to load very quickly, so I need to be able to
deploy something where (at least most of LK) is out of the picture.
The app was previously written with Amber Smalltalk so depends on a
very Smalltalk-like class hierarchy, so I would want most of what is
in the base "classes" in core/lively/lang but not much more (maybe
net, definitely not morphic).

Is this doable?  Is there a template for it, or a how-to?

(Actually the app is currently in Amber Smalltalk, but I'm considering
moving to more-or-less pure javascript.  I would write tools to
automatically translate translate the Smalltalk to Javascript/LK.
Hmm, I wonder how doable it would be to add a Smalltalk parser/editor
to edit the .st files directly.  It would obviously have a different
object/class model, but could use Smalltalk syntax.  Any opinion on
how difficult that would be?)

Thanks  ../Dave
_______________________________________________
lively-kernel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/listinfo/lively-kernel


_______________________________________________
lively-kernel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/listinfo/lively-kernel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Looking to pare down LK

Dave Mason
On 13 September 2014 04:35, Robert Krahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I put the last part of my previous answer into a small tutorial:
>   http://lively-web.org/users/robertkrahn/2014-09-10_just-the-core.html

Unfortunately this exhibits exactly the issue I am concerned about.  I
happen to be at a conference with a somewhat overloaded WiFi.  The
initial page load happens in less than a second, but then the loading
overlay starts and hasn't completed 5 minutes later...  (I've tried
loading 3 times after 5 minutes each time, but to no avail).

../Dave
_______________________________________________
lively-kernel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/listinfo/lively-kernel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Looking to pare down LK

Bert Freudenberg
On 13.09.2014, at 16:24, David Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13 September 2014 04:35, Robert Krahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I put the last part of my previous answer into a small tutorial:
>>  http://lively-web.org/users/robertkrahn/2014-09-10_just-the-core.html
>
> Unfortunately this exhibits exactly the issue I am concerned about.

Because that's a real Lively page. The pared-down example is here:

http://lively-web.org/users/robertkrahn/just-the-core/example.html

- Bert -




_______________________________________________
lively-kernel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/listinfo/lively-kernel

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Loading...