Losing work when MS Security reboots...

TimM-3
Anyone else notice that its kind of annoying that when a security patch gets
applied to your machine and the recurring reboot message starts prompting
you.. that if you miss the "restart later" it does a reboot you will lose
any unsaved changes in dolphin.

Not sure there is anything you can do - its going to reboot...

Thank god for STS and change.log - but unsaved workspaces are a problem.

Tim

Re: Losing work when MS Security reboots...

Ian Bartholomew-20
Tim,

> Not sure there is anything you can do - its going to reboot...

The best way is to select the option that downloads the updates, and
notifies you they are available, but allows you to select when they are
installed.

> Thank god for STS and change.log - but unsaved workspaces are a problem.

If the workspace contains code which has been evaluated then the
evaluated parts will be in the change log, and can be recovered.  It's
saved me quite often after workspace experimentations haven't gone quite
as expected.

Ian

Re: Losing work when MS Security reboots...

David Gorisek-2
I second this. It is *very* annoying. I don't know what these people at
MS think... like their patches are soo important that they must pop up
that dialog every 10 minutes.

TimM wrote:

> Anyone else notice that its kind of annoying that when a security patch gets
> applied to your machine and the recurring reboot message starts prompting
> you.. that if you miss the "restart later" it does a reboot you will lose
> any unsaved changes in dolphin.
>
> Not sure there is anything you can do - its going to reboot...
>
> Thank god for STS and change.log - but unsaved workspaces are a problem.
>
> Tim

Re: Losing work when MS Security reboots...

Christopher J. Demers
"TimM" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Anyone else notice that its kind of annoying that when a security patch
> gets applied to your machine and the recurring reboot message starts
> prompting you.. that if you miss the "restart later" it does a reboot you
> will lose any unsaved changes in dolphin.

Yes, it is annoying.  In fact, to avoid it, what I do now is just keep the
dialog that says I must reboot open and drag it out of the way on the
screen.  That way I can keep working without the incessant reboot prompts.
It seems that it does not start nagging me about rebooting if I never close
the reboot dialog.  Then when I am done working I will tell the dialog to
reboot.  It would be nice if Windows did not need this constant stream of
security patches.  That must drive people on dial-up crazy.

Chris

Re: Losing work when MS Security reboots...

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Tim,

> Anyone else notice that its kind of annoying that when a security patch gets
> applied to your machine and the recurring reboot message starts prompting
> you.. that if you miss the "restart later" it does a reboot you will lose
> any unsaved changes in dolphin.
>
> Not sure there is anything you can do - its going to reboot...

Grrrrrrrrr!!! :)  Actually, this kind of nonsense, and what to do in its
place, took up much of my "free time" (in the work day sense) for the
first half of this year.  I have systems that run 7/24, and thanks to
other MS design flaws/bugs, cannot be trusted to reboot on their own,
nor should they be allowed to do so even if it were safe.  Bottom line,
I disable automatic updates, monitor the situation as carefully as I
can, keep file and disk sharing, IE and Outlook out of the way to reduce
risk, and roll up my own installers for the updates.

The update installers are not consistent in their packaging, and do not
always respect the silent, norestart, etc. flags.  When they work as
advertised, I have a much easier time than most occaisions on which I
must apply patches.  My favorite is the modal dialog part way through an
unattended installation, which is really a joy on embedded machines ;)

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.