Lost store connection

Maarten Mostert-2

Hi,

I think most of you know this dialog box:

It's my humble opinion that in a well behaved world, an application catches a signal from the OS indicating that you closed your laptop putting the OS to sleep allowing the app to logoff nicely from the database. This will  avoid your database to remain loaded with inactive connections (which potentially raises eyebrows in other IT departements).
When opening up your laptop it will nicely reconnect on the database (with a logon dialog box) whenever there is a need to do so avoiding messages like the above one.

I can easily do better then VW when logging back on the database by tracking the error, but i have no idea how to catch the go-to sleep signal from the OS.

Now if someone better placed then me could record this as a bug, I would really appreciate,

Regards,

@+Maarten,

Re: Lost store connection

Karsten Kusche
the problem appears when you use a VPN and disconnect the VPN. VisualWorks won't behave properly and instead show this Exception, even if you reconnected the VPN in the meantime.  It's really a annoying that this is not handled in a more reasonable way.

Kind Regards
Karsten

--
Karsten Kusche - Dipl. Inf. (FH) - [hidden email]
Georg Heeg eK - Köthen

Am Sonntag, 29. September 2013 um 09:17 schrieb Maarten Mostert:

[...]

Holger Kleinsorgen
The following might (or might not ;) work:

- Load the package "StoreReconnectOnWakeup" from the public repository
- (optional) Load "OSProcessSignalHandler-MacOSX" for OS X support
- Save and restart the image

If all goes well, VW closes the Store connecting when the OS goes to sleep, and reconnects after the OS wakes up. It tries to reconnect for 10 seconds.
Caveat:
- I could not test it on OS X due to the lack of a real Mac with working power management
- Only tested once on Windows. Needs overall hardening.

Maarten Mostert wrote
I think most of you know this dialog box:

It's my humble opinion that in a well behaved world, an application catches a signal from the OS indicating that you closed your laptop putting the OS to sleep allowing the app to logoff nicely from the database. This will  avoid your database to remain loaded with inactive connections (which potentially raises eyebrows in other IT departements).
When opening up your laptop it will nicely reconnect on the database (with a logon dialog box) whenever there is a need to do so avoiding messages like the above one.

Re: Lost store connection

Maarten Mostert-2
Wow

Thank you so much Holger !!

I am testing it, I'll let you know how things go on OSX and Windows.

Regards,

@+Maarten,