Low Memory Warning

Dan Norton
Do the following without a problem:

x := Morph new.
x storeString.

However, the following gets a low memory warning:

x := Morph new.
x openInWorld.
x storeString.

 - Dan

Re: Low Memory Warning

Juan Vuletich-4
On 6/14/2015 4:03 PM, Dan Norton wrote:

> Do the following without a problem:
>
> x := Morph new.
> x storeString.
>
> However, the following gets a low memory warning:
>
> x := Morph new.
> x openInWorld.
> x storeString.
>
>   - Dan

Yes. I don't know if we should call this a bug. #storeString (from
Squeak, maybe even from Smalltalk-80) never handled circular structures.
I don't really see much value in this method.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Low Memory Warning

Phil B
On Tue, 2015-06-16 at 09:38 -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> On 6/14/2015 4:03 PM, Dan Norton wrote:
> > Do the following without a problem:
> >
> > x := Morph new.
> > x storeString.
> >
> > However, the following gets a low memory warning:
> >
> > x := Morph new.
> > x openInWorld.
> > x storeString.
> >
> >   - Dan

> Yes. I don't know if we should call this a bug. #storeString (from
> Squeak, maybe even from Smalltalk-80) never handled circular structures.
> I don't really see much value in this method.

If this method is a candidate for removal, please keep it around in the
compat package.  (It is used quite liberally in the OMeta code... though
I'm not entirely sure why yet)