Low memory problem

Sergey Gitis
Hi all,

My development image v.exe reached to 70 Mb. As result often my session
crash with the message "Low memory" and then "Out of memory" during
operation with a mass generation of objects. Sometimes this happens
immediate after start VSE. What can I do? I had changed a
VirtualMachineConfiguration via methods: #oldSpaceBytes: and #arenaBytes:
and increase arenaBytes up to 200mb (default 100 Mb) and this problem
disappeared.

Have anyone else experience this?

Regards, Sergey

***           this signature added by listserv             ***
*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Re: Low memory problem

Claus Kick
Hello,

Did you try to clear up your development image?

Have you tried starting with a fresh image and loading your code via SLLs?

--
Claus Kick

"Wenn Sie mich suchen: Ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf.
Genauer gesagt auf der schmalen Linie zwischen Wahnsinn und Panik.
Gleich um die Ecke von Todesangst, nicht weit weg von Irrwitz und Idiotie."

"If you are looking for me: I am somewhere near to lunacy.
More clearly, on the narrow path between lunacy and panic.
Right around the corner of  fear of death,
not far away from idiocy and insanity."

>My development image v.exe reached to 70 Mb. As result often my session
>crash with the message "Low memory" and then "Out of memory" during
>operation with a mass generation of objects. Sometimes this happens
>immediate after start VSE. What can I do? I had changed a
>VirtualMachineConfiguration via methods: #oldSpaceBytes: and #arenaBytes:
>and increase arenaBytes up to 200mb (default 100 Mb) and this problem
>disappeared.
>
>Have anyone else experience this?
>
>Regards, Sergey
>
>*** this signature added by listserv ***
>*** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
>*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

***           this signature added by listserv             ***
*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Re: Low memory problem

Andreas Rosenberg
Hi Sergey,

a development image with 70 MB is not unusual. My image is also about 75MB.
It contains about 9395 classes and about 190.000 methods.

But sometimes images grow a lot, if you have a lot of "zombie" objects.
Zombies are objects that should be dead (garbage), but are references through
non obvious ways, so they don't get removed by the garbage collector.

Sometimes the only way to get rid of unwanted stuff is to take fresh image
and load (file in) all necessary classes / methods.

If your image is still pretty large, you must modify the VM config like you
did already. Currently we are using old space size varying from 500MB to 1.25GB.

http://vse-wiki.apis.de/index.cgi/Howto%20configure%20maximum%20oldSpace%20size

Using SLLs and saving the image with SLLs bound, may increases the image size a lot.

Maybe this helps.

Regards,

  Andreas

*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Re: Low memory problem

Sergey Gitis
Thanks Andreas,

My image has about 4600 classes and 115 000 methods. It seems that image has
no zombies.
If it is not difficult, explain what is the need to use 1.25GB old space?

Regards, Sergey

> a development image with 70 MB is not unusual. My image is also about
> 75MB.
> It contains about 9395 classes and about 190.000 methods.
>
> But sometimes images grow a lot, if you have a lot of "zombie" objects.
> Zombies are objects that should be dead (garbage), but are references
> through
> non obvious ways, so they don't get removed by the garbage collector.
>
> Sometimes the only way to get rid of unwanted stuff is to take fresh image
> and load (file in) all necessary classes / methods.
>
> If your image is still pretty large, you must modify the VM config like
> you
> did already. Currently we are using old space size varying from 500MB to
> 1.25GB.
>
> http://vse-wiki.apis.de/index.cgi/Howto%20configure%20maximum%20oldSpace%20size
>
> Using SLLs and saving the image with SLLs bound, may increases the image
> size a lot.
>

> Maybe this helps.
>
> Regards,
>
>  Andreas

The reason that we need that much old space, is that our customers
have entered a great deal of information in our application.
In fact, we do have some cases where 1.25 GB is not sufficient.

Some of our customers have data files >100 MB (200.000 data objects).
Our application supports to translate and store the strings of each
object in multiple languages (in UTF16 for asian languages) and
display them simultaneously.

When loading these files, the objects to represent this data requires
about 4 times as much space in memory (this means about 400 MB in cases like above).
On top of that, objects for visualization purposes are required.

For printing purposes, objects of the visualization layer usually must
be generated a second time, because the calculations for a different device
results in different numbers/coordinates. I recently heard of a customer,
that tried to print the complete data of a single file, which resulted in ~14.000 pages.

Regards,
   Andreas

*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Re: Low memory problem

Diane Savereide-2
Is there any reason you need all that information in memory at once? Can't
it be loaded as needed and then discarded?

You can create a fairly simple database type files. We did one with a
standard btree index file and then a data file it pointed to using hard file
offsets. Just kept adding to the end and occasionally cleaned it up by
re-writing without the garbage. We kept an adjustable cache of objects
already loaded into memory.

It's simple and frees up that memory. There are other more complex db
options of course.