MC 'check all packages for changes' fails because WebClient-Core-ul.116 is missing

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MC 'check all packages for changes' fails because WebClient-Core-ul.116 is missing

timrowledge
Just tried 'check all packages for changes' (twice) and it stops part way through because the package 'WebClient-Core-ul.116' is not found in MCFileBasedRepository>>#versionWithInfo:ifAbsent:

It seems to be looking in my package-cache at that point but I have no idea how this particular bit works. In the debugger I see that my repositories here are  {a MCCacheRepository(/home/pi/Squeak/package-cache) . a MCHttpRepository(http://source.squeak.org/squeak52)}. Maybe that has something to do with it?

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Strange OpCodes: RLBMI: Ruin Logic Board Multiple Indexed

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: MC 'check all packages for changes' fails because WebClient-Core-ul.116 is missing

Levente Uzonyi
Perhaps you're using an "old" 5.2 image, because 5.2 was released with
WebClient-Core-pre.117.
For some reason, most packages don't have the trunk repository added to
them and the squeak52 repository doesn't contain WebClient-Core-ul.116.

Levente

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019, tim Rowledge wrote:

> Just tried 'check all packages for changes' (twice) and it stops part way through because the package 'WebClient-Core-ul.116' is not found in MCFileBasedRepository>>#versionWithInfo:ifAbsent:
>
> It seems to be looking in my package-cache at that point but I have no idea how this particular bit works. In the debugger I see that my repositories here are  {a MCCacheRepository(/home/pi/Squeak/package-cache) . a MCHttpRepository(http://source.squeak.org/squeak52)}. Maybe that has something to do with it?
>
> tim
> --
> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> Strange OpCodes: RLBMI: Ruin Logic Board Multiple Indexed

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: MC 'check all packages for changes' fails because WebClient-Core-ul.116 is missing

timrowledge

> On 2019-01-08, at 6:29 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Perhaps you're using an "old" 5.2 image, because 5.2 was released with WebClient-Core-pre.117.

It's definitely a post-5.2 release image, and I updated to 18354 yesterday without any problems.

> For some reason, most packages don't have the trunk repository added to them and the squeak52 repository doesn't contain WebClient-Core-ul.116.

Dang; just did another test on a fresh 5.2 release image; same result. Stops when looking for WebClient-Core-ul.116 but it does have WebClient-Core-pre.117(ul.116).mcd in package-cache. At least I can feel confident it isn't a problem I've caused with recent fiddling!

tim
--
A bad random number generator:  1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 4.33e+67, 1, 1, 1

Reply | Threaded
|

Levente Uzonyi
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, tim Rowledge wrote:

>
>
>> On 2019-01-08, at 6:29 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps you're using an "old" 5.2 image, because 5.2 was released with WebClient-Core-pre.117.
>
> It's definitely a post-5.2 release image, and I updated to 18354 yesterday without any problems.
>
>> For some reason, most packages don't have the trunk repository added to them and the squeak52 repository doesn't contain WebClient-Core-ul.116.
>
> Dang; just did another test on a fresh 5.2 release image; same result. Stops when looking for WebClient-Core-ul.116 but it does have WebClient-Core-pre.117(ul.116).mcd in package-cache. At least I can feel confident it isn't a problem I've caused with recent fiddling!

Did you download a fresh image? Unfortunately, we had two images released
as 5.2 with different content.

Levente

>
>
> tim
> --
> A bad random number generator:  1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 4.33e+67, 1, 1, 1

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge

> On 2019-01-08, at 2:21 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> Did you download a fresh image? Unfortunately, we had two images released as 5.2 with different content.

An excellent question. I am pretty sure I had the latest but to be sure I downloaded the very latest 5.2 image and compared to the one I was using and it appears to be identical. Just to test, I used the new image to run the clean packages check on my iMac and it worked. This made me wonder about maybe the contents of package-cache, so I copied the new image to the Pi (where I had been having the problem - almost all my Squeak work is on a Pi just to keep testing the ARM cog), deleted the Pi version of package-cache and tried - no problem. I even tried the older-but-the-same image and it worked.

So, it looks like maybe there is some edge case where the contents of package-cache interferes a little. Just in case it suggests anything to a keen MC implementor, I generally have many images in a single Squeak directory and thus a single package-cache directory that all of them write to. Perhaps this has some bearing?

tim
--
Useful random insult:- Went to the dentist to have his cranial cavity filled.

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Muller-3
I think it's because WebClient-Core-ul.116 isn't in the /squeak52
repository.   Part of the update process probably caused it to want to
diff w/ that version and it couldn't unless it was in your
package-cache.   Probbaly we should keep a copy of at least the first
ancestor in each release repository...

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 4:46 PM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>
> > On 2019-01-08, at 2:21 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Did you download a fresh image? Unfortunately, we had two images released as 5.2 with different content.
>
> An excellent question. I am pretty sure I had the latest but to be sure I downloaded the very latest 5.2 image and compared to the one I was using and it appears to be identical. Just to test, I used the new image to run the clean packages check on my iMac and it worked. This made me wonder about maybe the contents of package-cache, so I copied the new image to the Pi (where I had been having the problem - almost all my Squeak work is on a Pi just to keep testing the ARM cog), deleted the Pi version of package-cache and tried - no problem. I even tried the older-but-the-same image and it worked.
>
> So, it looks like maybe there is some edge case where the contents of package-cache interferes a little. Just in case it suggests anything to a keen MC implementor, I generally have many images in a single Squeak directory and thus a single package-cache directory that all of them write to. Perhaps this has some bearing?
>
> tim
> --
> Useful random insult:- Went to the dentist to have his cranial cavity filled.
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

David T. Lewis
In reply to this post by timrowledge
On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 02:46:02PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:

>
>
> >
> >
> > Did you download a fresh image? Unfortunately, we had two images released as 5.2 with different content.
>
> An excellent question. I am pretty sure I had the latest but to be sure I downloaded the very latest 5.2 image and compared to the one I was using and it appears to be identical. Just to test, I used the new image to run the clean packages check on my iMac and it worked. This made me wonder about maybe the contents of package-cache, so I copied the new image to the Pi (where I had been having the problem - almost all my Squeak work is on a Pi just to keep testing the ARM cog), deleted the Pi version of package-cache and tried - no problem. I even tried the older-but-the-same image and it worked.
>
> So, it looks like maybe there is some edge case where the contents of package-cache interferes a little. Just in case it suggests anything to a keen MC implementor, I generally have many images in a single Squeak directory and thus a single package-cache directory that all of them write to. Perhaps this has some bearing?
>

In addition to the disk-based package cache, there is a good deal of
in-image caching that can lead to bizarre problems.

If you are able to reproduce your original problem, try doing
"MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches" and see if the problem goes
away.

In my experience, the package-cache rarely causes problems, except in
cases like (for example) an empty and therefore corrupt package version
left in the package-cache folder after a failure of some sort.

On the other hand, the in-image caching is a source of frequent problems,
and I am in the habit of flushing the caches whenever I run into any
kind of oddity related to MC versions.

Dave

cbc
Reply | Threaded
|

cbc
I'm curious if you could reproduce it with a clean copy, except put a  WebClient-Core-pre.117(ul.116).mcd (or the, correct, one) into your package-cache.  Wonder if that had something to do with it failing.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 5:50 PM David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> >
> >
>
>
>

away.

Dave

cbc
Reply | Threaded
|

cbc
Yep, just verified (I had the .mcd lying around from another image).  
* Downloaded current Windows Squeak 5.2
* unzipped into a folder
* created new sub-folder 'package-cache'
* copied 'WebClient-Core-pre.117(ul.116).mcd' into that folder
* Started Squeak, cancelled out of setting up the image
* opened MonticelloBrowser
* clicked 'check all packages for changes'

it ran for a while, then errored out right where you said it would, Tim.

image.png
Interestingly, this new image does have trunk and inbox in the repository list.

And, Dave, 'MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches' does not make the problem go away - it pops up again with no changes.

However, removing 'WebClient-Core-pre.117(ul.116).mcd' from 'package-cache' does solve the issue, and it continues on without hitch after that.

I suspect something is going on with the .mcd handling.

-cbc

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 6:46 PM Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm curious if you could reproduce it with a clean copy, except put a  WebClient-Core-pre.117(ul.116).mcd (or the, correct, one) into your package-cache.  Wonder if that had something to do with it failing.

>
>
> >
> >
>
>
>

away.

Dave

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge

> On 2019-01-08, at 6:58 PM, Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yep, just verified (I had the .mcd lying around from another image).  

Glad to know it's not just me screwing up!

tim
--
Strange OpCodes: EF: Emulate Fireworks

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Muller-3
In reply to this post by cbc
Guys, isn't the error message clear?  Tim, you had it figured out in your initial message of this thread.

Then I wrote:

> it's because WebClient-Core-ul.116 isn't in the /squeak52 repository.  

The build process should ensure we have at least the initial ancestor of each package in the release repository, but currently doesn't.

I just copied WebClient-Core-ul.116 to /squeak52 for you, so it should either work or fail on the next error (since I didn't have time to copy them all).

Best,
  Chris Muller

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 8:59 PM Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
* unzipped into a folder

And, Dave, 'MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches' does not make the problem go away - it pops up again with no changes.

However, removing 'WebClient-Core-pre.117(ul.116).mcd' from 'package-cache' does solve the issue, and it continues on without hitch after that.

-cbc

>
>
> >
> >
>
>
>

away.

Dave

cbc
Reply | Threaded
|

cbc
Yeah, but why is it only an issue if we have a .mcd file around?  that causes the error - otherwise, there is no error.
So, I suspect now that you've copied over the 116 over, if I had a 114-117.cmcd file, it would complain about not having 114 available. Maybe.

-cbc

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 2:38 PM Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Guys, isn't the error message clear?  Tim, you had it figured out in your initial message of this thread.

Then I wrote:

> it's because WebClient-Core-ul.116 isn't in the /squeak52 repository.  

The build process should ensure we have at least the initial ancestor of each package in the release repository, but currently doesn't.

I just copied WebClient-Core-ul.116 to /squeak52 for you, so it should either work or fail on the next error (since I didn't have time to copy them all).

Best,
  Chris Muller

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 8:59 PM Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
* unzipped into a folder

image.png

-cbc

>
>
> >
> >
>
>
>

away.

Dave