MC fix-while-compiling broken

Igor Stasenko
I tried to load the VMMaker in 4.1 image

        (Smalltalk hasClassNamed: #MCMcmUpdater)
                ifTrue: [(Smalltalk at: #MCMcmUpdater)
                                updateFromRepositories: #('http://squeaksource.com/VMMaker' )]
                ifFalse: [self notify: 'MonticelloConfigurations not installed in this image']

during the load it finds a syntax error in one of the methods  ( -16
written as: - 16)
i fixed it and pressed accept, then MC happily continued compiling methods,
but at the stage when it going to install everything, i got DNU
because a compiled method being nil.

Seem like a method, which i fixed is lost in void and not remembered by MC. :((

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: MC fix-while-compiling broken

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:44:32AM +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> I tried to load the VMMaker in 4.1 image
>
> (Smalltalk hasClassNamed: #MCMcmUpdater)
> ifTrue: [(Smalltalk at: #MCMcmUpdater)
> updateFromRepositories: #('http://squeaksource.com/VMMaker' )]
> ifFalse: [self notify: 'MonticelloConfigurations not installed in this image']
>
> during the load it finds a syntax error in one of the methods  ( -16
> written as: - 16)
> i fixed it and pressed accept, then MC happily continued compiling methods,
> but at the stage when it going to install everything, i got DNU
> because a compiled method being nil.
>
> Seem like a method, which i fixed is lost in void and not remembered by MC. :((

Hmm... is this because I have a series of update maps in SqS/VMMaker, and
the MCMcmUpdate tries to load them all in sequence? The earlier maps would
point to versions of VMMaker that still have the "- 16" syntax problem.

So I probably should just delete the old versions of update-dtl.N.mcm,
right?

Dave

Re: MC fix-while-compiling broken

Andreas.Raab
On 4/27/2010 6:42 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> Hmm... is this because I have a series of update maps in SqS/VMMaker, and
> the MCMcmUpdate tries to load them all in sequence? The earlier maps would
> point to versions of VMMaker that still have the "- 16" syntax problem.
>
> So I probably should just delete the old versions of update-dtl.N.mcm,
> right?

You should probably not issue any config map updates except the very
first one. The reason being that each config map is considered a
"package checkpoint" where these specific versions of the packages have
to be present in the image before the updater continues.

This is critical if we have brutal changes like the closure stuff, but
is only confusing when it comes to a package like VMMaker that almost
never has life instances to worry about. The updater *always* updates
the last configuration found to the latest package version in the
repository so a single MCM can be used for a long time until you either
add a package, or remove a package, or need a package checkpoint.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 28 April 2010 04:42, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:44:32AM +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> I tried to load the VMMaker in 4.1 image
>>
>>       (Smalltalk hasClassNamed: #MCMcmUpdater)
>>               ifTrue: [(Smalltalk at: #MCMcmUpdater)
>>                               updateFromRepositories: #('http://squeaksource.com/VMMaker' )]
>>               ifFalse: [self notify: 'MonticelloConfigurations not installed in this image']
>>
>> during the load it finds a syntax error in one of the methods  ( -16
>> written as: - 16)
>> i fixed it and pressed accept, then MC happily continued compiling methods,
>> but at the stage when it going to install everything, i got DNU
>> because a compiled method being nil.
>>
>> Seem like a method, which i fixed is lost in void and not remembered by MC. :((
>
> Hmm... is this because I have a series of update maps in SqS/VMMaker, and
> the MCMcmUpdate tries to load them all in sequence? The earlier maps would
> point to versions of VMMaker that still have the "- 16" syntax problem.
>
> So I probably should just delete the old versions of update-dtl.N.mcm,
> right?

Well, this will not make bug in MC fixed :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 06:53:42PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 4/27/2010 6:42 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> >Hmm... is this because I have a series of update maps in SqS/VMMaker, and
> >the MCMcmUpdate tries to load them all in sequence? The earlier maps would
> >point to versions of VMMaker that still have the "- 16" syntax problem.
> >
> >So I probably should just delete the old versions of update-dtl.N.mcm,
> >right?
>
> You should probably not issue any config map updates except the very
> first one. The reason being that each config map is considered a
> "package checkpoint" where these specific versions of the packages have
> to be present in the image before the updater continues.
>
> This is critical if we have brutal changes like the closure stuff, but
> is only confusing when it comes to a package like VMMaker that almost
> never has life instances to worry about. The updater *always* updates
> the last configuration found to the latest package version in the
> repository so a single MCM can be used for a long time until you either
> add a package, or remove a package, or need a package checkpoint.

Thanks for the explanation. I deleted all but the most recent config
map file which should resolve the "- 16" syntax issue for loading
VMMaker into fresh 4.1 images, hopefully without confusing the MC
caches for everyone else.

Dave