MD5 in pharo?

EstebanLM
Hi,
Some time ago, I read a thread about cryotography, and as far as I
remember, some body says about integrate the basic algoritms (MD5 and
maybe others) as part of the pharo core.
Well... now I need to use MD5 and cryptography package is not working
well (it opens a debugger each time I save my image).

I wonder if there are another package with MD5?

Cheers,
Esteban

Re: MD5 in pharo?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Esteban,

IMHO, the correct path is to write an interface for OpenSSL.  Ultimately, that should also give us SSL sockets, but long before that, it can provide various hashes and cyphers with very little effort.  I am open on whether the interface should be FFI, Alien, or plugin based.  One argument for a plugin could come through benefits that _might_ acrue to sockets.  I have along way to go on Squeak/Pharo external interfacing, so I could be way off here(!!), but I am under the impression that plugins can use OS threads, and that could greatly simplify getting OpenSSL to not hang the entire image while waiting on things to happen to/on a socket; that benefit would come at the cost of having to write a plugin.

Another option might be to use FFI/Alien to access the cyphers and have a plugin for the SSL sockets.  Hopefully someone with Squeak external interfacing experience will tell us "where be the dragons" with the various options.

Bill

Re: MD5 in pharo?

Adrian Lienhard
Bill, please note that Esteban just needs a standard hash algorithm.
No encryption.

Some time ago we discussed including hash functions from Cryptography
in Pharo core. We postponed it then because it seemed that maybe some
people would join and make Cryptography work in Pharo. An OpenSSL
interface would be a very interesting alternative too.

In any case I think we should add MD5 and maybe some other hash
functions to the core. Will add this to my todo list.

Adrian

On Jul 18, 2009, at 05:09 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Esteban,
>
> IMHO, the correct path is to write an interface for OpenSSL.
> Ultimately, that should also give us SSL sockets, but long before
> that, it can provide various hashes and cyphers with very little
> effort.  I am open on whether the interface should be FFI, Alien, or
> plugin based.  One argument for a plugin could come through benefits
> that _might_ acrue to sockets.  I have along way to go on Squeak/
> Pharo external interfacing, so I could be way off here(!!), but I am
> under the impression that plugins can use OS threads, and that could
> greatly simplify getting OpenSSL to not hang the entire image while
> waiting on things to happen to/on a socket; that benefit would come
> at the cost of having to write a plugin.
>
> Another option might be to use FFI/Alien to access the cyphers and
> have a plugin for the SSL sockets.  Hopefully someone with Squeak
> external interfacing experience will tell us "where be the dragons"
> with the various options.
>
> Bill

Re: MD5 in pharo?

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes this is a good idea.

Stef

On Jul 18, 2009, at 8:41 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Bill, please note that Esteban just needs a standard hash algorithm.
> No encryption.
>
> Some time ago we discussed including hash functions from Cryptography
> in Pharo core. We postponed it then because it seemed that maybe some
> people would join and make Cryptography work in Pharo. An OpenSSL
> interface would be a very interesting alternative too.
>
> In any case I think we should add MD5 and maybe some other hash
> functions to the core. Will add this to my todo list.
>
> Adrian
>

> On Jul 18, 2009, at 05:09 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>> Esteban,
>>
>> IMHO, the correct path is to write an interface for OpenSSL.
>> Ultimately, that should also give us SSL sockets, but long before
>> that, it can provide various hashes and cyphers with very little
>> effort.  I am open on whether the interface should be FFI, Alien, or
>> plugin based.  One argument for a plugin could come through benefits
>> that _might_ acrue to sockets.  I have along way to go on Squeak/
>> Pharo external interfacing, so I could be way off here(!!), but I am
>> under the impression that plugins can use OS threads, and that could
>> greatly simplify getting OpenSSL to not hang the entire image while
>> waiting on things to happen to/on a socket; that benefit would come
>> at the cost of having to write a plugin.
>>
>> Another option might be to use FFI/Alien to access the cyphers and
>> have a plugin for the SSL sockets.  Hopefully someone with Squeak
>> external interfacing experience will tell us "where be the dragons"
>> with the various options.
>>
>> Bill

Re: MD5 in pharo?

EstebanLM
Great!

On 2009-07-18 05:16:26 -0300, Stéphane Ducasse

]

>>> On Behalf Of Esteban Lorenzano
>>> Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 7:25 PM
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: [Pharo-project] MD5 in pharo?
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Some time ago, I read a thread about cryotography, and as far as I
>>> remember, some body says about integrate the basic algoritms (MD5
>>> and maybe others) as part of the pharo core.
>>> Well... now I need to use MD5 and cryptography package is not
>>> working well (it opens a debugger each time I save my image).
>>>
>>> I wonder if there are another package with MD5?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Esteban

Re: MD5 in pharo?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Adrian,

I stand by my answer.  The cryptography team took on too much work and ended up burning out.  Beyond that, OpenSSL will have "brand loyalty" that a home-grown library will struggle to match.  Include what you want[*], but we should also provide something that attaches to OpenSSL and can therefore benefit from its maintenance cycle.

Bill

Bill, please note that Esteban just needs a standard hash algorithm.
No encryption.

Some time ago we discussed including hash functions from Cryptography in Pharo core. We postponed it then because it seemed that maybe some people would join and make Cryptography work in Pharo. An OpenSSL interface would be a very interesting alternative too.

In any case I think we should add MD5 and maybe some other hash functions to the core. Will add this to my todo list.

Adrian

On Jul 18, 2009, at 05:09 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Esteban,
>
> IMHO, the correct path is to write an interface for OpenSSL.
> Ultimately, that should also give us SSL sockets, but long before
> that, it can provide various hashes and cyphers with very little
> effort.  I am open on whether the interface should be FFI, Alien, or
> plugin based.  One argument for a plugin could come through benefits
> that _might_ acrue to sockets.  I have along way to go on Squeak/
> Pharo external interfacing, so I could be way off here(!!), but I am
> under the impression that plugins can use OS threads, and that could
> greatly simplify getting OpenSSL to not hang the entire image while
> waiting on things to happen to/on a socket; that benefit would come at
> the cost of having to write a plugin.
>
> Another option might be to use FFI/Alien to access the cyphers and
> have a plugin for the SSL sockets.  Hopefully someone with Squeak
> external interfacing experience will tell us "where be the dragons"
> with the various options.
>
> Bill

Re: MD5 in pharo?

Janko Mivšek
Hi Bill,

Schwab,Wilhelm K pravi:

> I stand by my answer.  The cryptography team took on too much work and ended up burning out.  Beyond that, OpenSSL will have "brand loyalty" that a home-grown library will struggle to match.  Include what you want[*], but we should also provide something that attaches to OpenSSL and can therefore benefit from its maintenance cycle.

Having experience with Swazoo 1.0 OpenSSL support I can tell that
maintaining such interface to external library is not easy. Consider all
platforms you need to maintain, and adapting to new versions... Not to
mention that end user need to install OpenSSL libraries, which at least
on Windows is not as easy as it should be.

So, for simple things as hashes like MD5 and SHA and some other basic
crypto functions it is certainly better to have implementations in
Smalltalk. While for a whole SSL it is better to have the interface to
the external library. Cryptography package should therefore stay and be
maintained at least for basic crypto stuff.

But I'd be very hapy iff someone could develop the XML signature and
encryption support, combining existing crypto and XML functionality into
something really useful in nowadays digital world ...

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: MD5 in pharo?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

What about import/export restrictions?  I prefer to leave to other forums the debate on whether or not goverments (especially mine) has any business at all restricting such things.  However, they do restrict them, and we might do better to steer clear of cryptography, or at least make it separately downloadable.

Bill

On Jul 18, 2009, at 8:41 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Bill, please note that Esteban just needs a standard hash algorithm.
> No encryption.
>
> Some time ago we discussed including hash functions from Cryptography
> in Pharo core. We postponed it then because it seemed that maybe some
> people would join and make Cryptography work in Pharo. An OpenSSL
> interface would be a very interesting alternative too.
>
> In any case I think we should add MD5 and maybe some other hash
> functions to the core. Will add this to my todo list.
>
> Adrian
>

> On Jul 18, 2009, at 05:09 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>> Esteban,
>>
>> IMHO, the correct path is to write an interface for OpenSSL.
>> Ultimately, that should also give us SSL sockets, but long before
>> that, it can provide various hashes and cyphers with very little
>> effort.  I am open on whether the interface should be FFI, Alien, or
>> plugin based.  One argument for a plugin could come through benefits
>> that _might_ acrue to sockets.  I have along way to go on Squeak/
>> Pharo external interfacing, so I could be way off here(!!), but I am
>> under the impression that plugins can use OS threads, and that could
>> greatly simplify getting OpenSSL to not hang the entire image while
>> waiting on things to happen to/on a socket; that benefit would come
>> at the cost of having to write a plugin.
>>
>> Another option might be to use FFI/Alien to access the cyphers and
>> have a plugin for the SSL sockets.  Hopefully someone with Squeak
>> external interfacing experience will tell us "where be the dragons"
>> with the various options.
>>
>> Bill

Re: MD5 in pharo?

Adrian Lienhard
I only talked about incorporating hash functions like MD5. AFAIK these
are no problem.

Adrian

On Jul 18, 2009, at 15:10 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> What about import/export restrictions?  I prefer to leave to other
> forums the debate on whether or not goverments (especially mine) has
> any business at all restricting such things.  However, they do
> restrict them, and we might do better to steer clear of
> cryptography, or at least make it separately downloadable.
>
> Bill

Re: MD5 in pharo?

Nicolas Cellier
2009/7/18 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
> Some time ago, I read a thread about cryotography, and as far as I
> remember, some body says about integrate the basic algoritms (MD5 and
> maybe others) as part of the pharo core.
> Well... now I need to use MD5 and cryptography package is not working
> well (it opens a debugger each time I save my image).

Probably a change of InputSensor...
If you load Cryptography-RJT.10, then replace the call to #mousePoint
with #cursorPoint
(in RandomGenerator>>#unpredictableStringsDo:)

Nicolas

> I wonder if there are another package with MD5?
>
> Cheers,
> Esteban

Re: MD5 in pharo?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 3:41 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bill, please note that Esteban just needs a standard hash algorithm.
No encryption.

Some time ago we discussed including hash functions from Cryptography
in Pharo core. We postponed it then because it seemed that maybe some
people would join and make Cryptography work in Pharo. An OpenSSL
interface would be a very interesting alternative too.

In any case I think we should add MD5 and maybe some other hash
functions to the core. Will add this to my todo list.

I think tihs can be easy as perhaps the only thing you must do is to copy the MD5 class to the core. I think it has no dependencies...But I should check that