MDI

Esteban A. Maringolo-3
Hello,

        Just wondering... why DolphinXP doesn't have support for MDI
Windows? I know they are tricky, but... "so tricky?"

        Seeing the IdeaSpace demo, one sees (I see) the importance of
having  "related" windows under a common container, not only in the
development windows, also in the end application ones.

        Best regards.

--
Esteban.

Re: MDI

Christopher J. Demers
"Esteban A. Maringolo" <[hidden email]> wrote in
message news:[hidden email]...
> Just wondering... why DolphinXP doesn't have support for MDI Windows? I
> know they are tricky, but... "so tricky?"
>
> Seeing the IdeaSpace demo, one sees (I see) the importance of having
> "related" windows under a common container, not only in the development
> windows, also in the end application ones.

The IdeaSpace uses a tab view so I imagine that you could use the same kind
of thing in a an application.

OA will have to comment on the specifics, but in general I think Microsoft
at some point in the past decided that MDI was a bad thing.  Some of the
Office programs even switched from MDI to SDI.  I am not at all sure what
the current thinking on the subject is.  There is an interesting site with
some commentary on the MDI vs SDI debate here
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=2748
.  It is a bit old, but interesting never the less.

This Google search will show some prior discussions of the subject regarding
Dolphin:
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=dolphin+mdi+group:comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin

You may also find this interesting:
==============
ts := Shell show.
ts view layoutManager: (GridLayout new columns: 2; rows: 2; yourself).
4 timesRepeat: [ts view addSubView: ShellView new].
==============

Chris

Re: MDI

Esteban A. Maringolo-3
Christopher J. Demers escribió:
> "Esteban A. Maringolo" <[hidden email]> wrote in
> message news:[hidden email]...

>>Just wondering... why DolphinXP doesn't have support for MDI Windows? I
>>know they are tricky, but... "so tricky?"

>>Seeing the IdeaSpace demo, one sees (I see) the importance of having
>>"related" windows under a common container, not only in the development
>>windows, also in the end application ones.

Yep, but they have to be "maximized" (expanded) to fit into the
container.

> The IdeaSpace uses a tab view so I imagine that you could use the same kind
> of thing in a an application.

Yes, I can do that, MDI is similar, but not the same. MDI's childs
can get overlapped, and gives the user a "feel" of a common
container, a "sub desktop". The problem of finding the windows can
be implemented with toolbar buttons, or even tabs.

> OA will have to comment on the specifics, but in general I think Microsoft
> at some point in the past decided that MDI was a bad thing.  Some of the
> Office programs even switched from MDI to SDI.

Yes... it is visible.

 > I am not at all sure what
> the current thinking on the subject is.  There is an interesting site with
> some commentary on the MDI vs SDI debate here
> http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=2748
> .  It is a bit old, but interesting never the less.

Thanks for the link.

> This Google search will show some prior discussions of the subject regarding
> Dolphin:
> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=dolphin+mdi+group:comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin

> You may also find this interesting:
> ==============
> ts := Shell show.
> ts view layoutManager: (GridLayout new columns: 2; rows: 2; yourself).
> 4 timesRepeat: [ts view addSubView: ShellView new].

Yes... I know this trick, but I'm looking for "true"(*) MDI.
(*)Which was my original motivation in this post, perhaps the trick
above Is the smalltalk way of implementing MDI's ;-)

Best regards

--
Esteban.