MDLApplication

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

I am trying to use MaterialDesignLite (master branch in Pharo 7). The demo works perfectly.

Now, I thought I would start writing a small web app by subclassing MDLApplication, since that seems to set up things properly.

Is that class finished ? How am I supposed to use it ? There are screens, but how are these rendered ? Do I have to do this myself ? Must there not be an idea of a current screen ?

MDLScreen is in fact an empty class.

Although there are units tests for MDLApplication, there is no subclass, so no actual user. It feels a bit as if the demo should/could use it.

Sven

Re: MDLApplication

Julien Delplanque-2
Hello Sven,

Did you try https://github.com/jecisc/MDBaseGenerator ?

It generates a nice template for starting a new MDL webapp.

I do not know about MDLApplication.

Cheers,

Julien

Le 28/11/19 à 11:16, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use MaterialDesignLite (master branch in Pharo 7). The demo works perfectly.
>
> Now, I thought I would start writing a small web app by subclassing MDLApplication, since that seems to set up things properly.
>
> Is that class finished ? How am I supposed to use it ? There are screens, but how are these rendered ? Do I have to do this myself ? Must there not be an idea of a current screen ?
>
> MDLScreen is in fact an empty class.
>
> Although there are units tests for MDLApplication, there is no subclass, so no actual user. It feels a bit as if the demo should/could use it.
>
> Sven

Re: MDLApplication

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 28 Nov 2019, at 11:26, Julien Delplanque <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Sven,
>
> Did you try https://github.com/jecisc/MDBaseGenerator ?
>
> It generates a nice template for starting a new MDL webapp.

OK that works fine, thanks !

> I do not know about MDLApplication.

It is in the package Material-Design-Lite-Core, which seems to suggest it is an important class

> Cheers,
>
> Julien
>
> Le 28/11/19 à 11:16, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to use MaterialDesignLite (master branch in Pharo 7). The demo works perfectly.
>>
>> Now, I thought I would start writing a small web app by subclassing MDLApplication, since that seems to set up things properly.
>>
>> Is that class finished ? How am I supposed to use it ? There are screens, but how are these rendered ? Do I have to do this myself ? Must there not be an idea of a current screen ?
>>
>> MDLScreen is in fact an empty class.
>>
>> Although there are units tests for MDLApplication, there is no subclass, so no actual user. It feels a bit as if the demo should/could use it.
>>
>> Sven

Re: MDLApplication

CyrilFerlicot
On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 11:17 AM Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use MaterialDesignLite (master branch in Pharo 7). The demo works perfectly.
>
> Now, I thought I would start writing a small web app by subclassing MDLApplication, since that seems to set up things properly.
>
> Is that class finished ? How am I supposed to use it ? There are screens, but how are these rendered ? Do I have to do this myself ? Must there not be an idea of a current screen ?
>
> MDLScreen is in fact an empty class.
>
> Although there are units tests for MDLApplication, there is no subclass, so no actual user. It feels a bit as if the demo should/could use it.

Hi,

This class was introduced at the beginning of MDL and was used by its creator.

This person does not contribute anymore and I never really used it so
I do not know how useful it is. I will add an issue to take a look and
either improve it or deprecate it to not make people lose time.

https://github.com/DuneSt/MaterialDesignLite/issues/292

As Julien told you, I usually start a standard MDL application with
the generator I wrote to get the basic infrastructure.

I hope it helps you getting started smoothly.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: MDLApplication

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 28 Nov 2019, at 11:55, Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 11:17 AM Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to use MaterialDesignLite (master branch in Pharo 7). The demo works perfectly.
>>
>> Now, I thought I would start writing a small web app by subclassing MDLApplication, since that seems to set up things properly.
>>
>> Is that class finished ? How am I supposed to use it ? There are screens, but how are these rendered ? Do I have to do this myself ? Must there not be an idea of a current screen ?
>>
>> MDLScreen is in fact an empty class.
>>
>> Although there are units tests for MDLApplication, there is no subclass, so no actual user. It feels a bit as if the demo should/could use it.
>>

> Hi,
>
> This class was introduced at the beginning of MDL and was used by its creator.
>
> This person does not contribute anymore and I never really used it so
> I do not know how useful it is. I will add an issue to take a look and
> either improve it or deprecate it to not make people lose time.

Thanks Cyril, I suspect it was not finished and it was a bit confusing.

> https://github.com/DuneSt/MaterialDesignLite/issues/292
>
> As Julien told you, I usually start a standard MDL application with
> the generator I wrote to get the basic infrastructure.
>
> I hope it helps you getting started smoothly.
>
>> Sven
>
> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr

Re: MDLApplication

CyrilFerlicot
On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 11:26 AM Julien Delplanque
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Sven,
>
> Did you try https://github.com/jecisc/MDBaseGenerator ?

To help with discoverability, I migrated the project from my
repository to DuneSt.

The previous link should still work with Github redirections.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr