MIDI IO

Manuel Leuenberger
Hi,

I am currently investigating how to work with audio in Pharo, especially how to hook up Pharo to my synths or DAW using MIDI. I found that there is an old MIDI plugin for the VM, but apparently it has been discontinued due to OS changes (http://forum.world.st/Mac-OS-Cocoa-MIDI-Plugin-td4893691.html). Is there any setup that works for MIDI IO on OSX using Pharo 6/6.1?

Cheers,
Manuel

Re: MIDI IO

Guillermo Polito
Hi Manuel,

I don't know the state of the Midi Plugin, but for sure it would not be difficult to make some bindings to an existing library with uFFI.

Guille

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: MIDI IO

kilon.alios
There is PharoSound package from the catalog browser that I see it has some MIDI capabilities but I do not know if it will work for you. I have used Pharo Sound to playback audio files but never for MIDI.

As Guillermo said, UFFI is your best bet. Of course first you need to find out how its done in C depending on which library you use.

I have done something like this but not in Pharo but Python. I own an Andromeda A6 , probably the most powerful pure analogue non modular synth of all time and even though it has thousands of parameters one can control via its 72 knobs and lcd interface it lacks multi point envelopes. So I made this app in Python using PyGame that I could draw multi point envelopes and the software would play them back as soon as I played a note.

Excuse the crappy GUI it was a very early draft but it worked none the less to my surprise although MIDI proved too slow to allow for quick envelops of rapid changes. So I had to abandon the project and move on. That was back in 2010 , before I started using Pharo or became aware of the existence of Smalltalk.