MIDI support

Stan Shepherd
(cross posted to beginners and audio)

Hello everybody. I'm developing a project for which I need a MIDI music keyboard as input. I started out on a Windows box, and all the components seemed to be there. I've since swapped to Ubuntu, and it seems that the MIDI support is a problem.

From here: http://www.nabble.com/Midi-Input-with-Squeak-tf3749891.html#a10596965 I see that Eric asked the same question in May, without resolution.

It appears that what I need to do is to build a vm with the MIDI plug-in - http://www.nabble.com/modules,-plugins,-primitives,-and-MIDIPlugin-t3728328.html

However, from here: http://www.nabble.com/modules%2C-plugins%2C-primitives%2C-and-MIDIPlugin-tf3728328.html#a10453224    it looks like even with a vm build I may not get MIDI in.

As a newbie, I'm not too keen to get into vm building just yet.

So my question is/are, is there any image available with MIDI support? If not, is the build thing a big undertaking? Are there any other creative approaches (e.g. use an old version of Siren, wait for Siren port proposed at http://www.nabble.com/Siren-on-Squeak-tf3802040.html)? Is my analysis of the state of play correct?

Thanks for any help- I really don't want to have to go back to Windows, or worse to Java.

Stan

PS I tried the Etoys/OLPC image, SimpleMIDIPort midiIsSupported  returns false there too. On Windows image it returns true.

Re: MIDI support

Brad Fuller-2
You might check the archives because we did discuss MIDI on linux. I
remember looking at the VM code and seeing only the stub for MIDI
support. But, as I said, check the archives to see what I found, as I
can't remember right now. When I get time, I'll search too, but don't
have the time right now.

It probably wouldn't be to hard to stick in, if it's not there, if you
use portmidi. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~music/portmusic/

stan414 wrote:

> (cross posted to beginners and audio)
>
> Hello everybody. I'm developing a project for which I need a MIDI music
> keyboard as input. I started out on a Windows box, and all the components
> seemed to be there. I've since swapped to Ubuntu, and it seems that the MIDI
> support is a problem.
>
> >From here:
> http://www.nabble.com/Midi-Input-with-Squeak-tf3749891.html#a10596965 I see
> that Eric asked the same question in May, without resolution.
>
> It appears that what I need to do is to build a vm with the MIDI plug-in -
> http://www.nabble.com/modules,-plugins,-primitives,-and-MIDIPlugin-t3728328.html
>
> However, from here:
> http://www.nabble.com/modules%2C-plugins%2C-primitives%2C-and-MIDIPlugin-tf3728328.html#a10453224
> it looks like even with a vm build I may not get MIDI in.
>
> As a newbie, I'm not too keen to get into vm building just yet.
>
> So my question is/are, is there any image available with MIDI support? If
> not, is the build thing a big undertaking? Are there any other creative
> approaches (e.g. use an old version of Siren, wait for Siren port proposed
> at http://www.nabble.com/Siren-on-Squeak-tf3802040.html)? Is my analysis of
> the state of play correct?
>
> Thanks for any help- I really don't want to have to go back to Windows, or
> worse to Java.
>
> Stan
>

> PS I tried the Etoys/OLPC image, SimpleMIDIPort midiIsSupported  returns
> false there too. On Windows image it returns true.

Re: MIDI support

ccrraaiigg

Hi--

      I'm just now replacing the Windows-only MIDI support that was in
the Flow i/o framework[1] to use the cross-platform PortMIDI code
instead. I'll give a holler when it tests out on Linux (and MacOSX and
Windows).

-C

[1] http://netjam.org/flow

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

Re: MIDI support

Brad Fuller-2
Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi--
>
>      I'm just now replacing the Windows-only MIDI support that was in
> the Flow i/o framework[1] to use the cross-platform PortMIDI code
> instead. I'll give a holler when it tests out on Linux (and MacOSX and
> Windows).
>

> -C

FANTASTIC to hear Craig! Thanks for doing that!

> [1] http://netjam.org/flow
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> improvisational musical informaticist
> www.netjam.org
> Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]

Re: MIDI support

Cesare Marilungo
Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi--
>
>      I'm just now replacing the Windows-only MIDI support that was in
> the Flow i/o framework[1] to use the cross-platform PortMIDI code
> instead. I'll give a holler when it tests out on Linux (and MacOSX and
> Windows).
>

> -C
>
> [1] http://netjam.org/flow
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> improvisational musical informaticist
> www.netjam.org
> Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]

Great!

-c.

--
www.cesaremarilungo.com

Re: MIDI support

Stan Shepherd
Thanks Craig, I appreciate that. I'll check out the Windows implementation in the meantime.
Stan

Re: MIDI support

Stan Shepherd
Hi Craig,

Is Linux/Mac MIDI support still in your plan please? My MIDI keyboard s feeling a bit lonely   :)

...Stan

Craig Latta wrote
Hi--

      I'm just now replacing the Windows-only MIDI support that was in
the Flow i/o framework[1] to use the cross-platform PortMIDI code
instead. I'll give a holler when it tests out on Linux (and MacOSX and
Windows).

-C

[1] http://netjam.org/flow

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist
www.netjam.org

Re: MIDI support

ccrraaiigg

Hi Stan--

 > Is Linux/Mac MIDI support still in your plan please?

      Yep, it's working on MacOS, I haven't tried it on Linux yet (but
it'll be Debian first, then whatever Linux-loaded VMWare virtual
machines I can get hold of).

 > My MIDI keyboard is feeling a bit lonely   :)

      As is mine... Having a job that isn't this kinda sucks...

      Thanks for asking. For me, that's the source of at least half of
my motivation. :)

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist
www.netjam.org

Re: MIDI support

Stan Shepherd
That's good news; thanks for the update. I'll be standing by if you need a tester.
...Stan

Craig Latta wrote
Hi Stan--

 > Is Linux/Mac MIDI support still in your plan please?

      Yep, it's working on MacOS, I haven't tried it on Linux yet (but
it'll be Debian first, then whatever Linux-loaded VMWare virtual
machines I can get hold of).

 > My MIDI keyboard is feeling a bit lonely   :)

      As is mine... Having a job that isn't this kinda sucks...

      Thanks for asking. For me, that's the source of at least half of
my motivation. :)

Re: MIDI support

Ken G. Brown
I thought of Craig when I saw this site and its innovative music:

<http://wearcam.org/>

Ken G. Brown