MIMEdatabase fix?

123

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Stéphane Ducasse
you know I guess that I know what is maintenance.

>> I have problems to understand why this would be not reasonable that
>> people load a give kom version for seaside on squeak
>> and one for seaside on pharo.

> situation.
> Let's face it, there are far too resources behind something as
> important
> as Kom. Making a fork of it cuts these resources in half.
>
> Maintenance is not doing a quick fix now so that it loads. Maintenance
> is taking care of something for several years (!) to come, fixing
> issues
> as they arrive, being there and responding. Removing time from other
> activities instead of finding excuses.

So what is your suggestion then because so far the only message we got
is that we should not change network because KOM is crappy.
So ****concretely**** what can we do.
So far you have not been that constructive.
If we do not have paths for the future then why Seasiders even
think about using Pharo. May be you should get stuck in Squeak
and this is ok too.

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

So you even got a solution :)
Excellent!
But this is also a good point because it means that for the future
we will have again this kind of discussion.....exciting.

Stef

On Feb 27, 2009, at 6:06 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Philippe Marschall wrote:
>> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>> I have problems to understand why this would be not reasonable that
>>> people load a give kom version for seaside on squeak
>>> and one for seaside on pharo.

>> situation.
>> Let's face it, there are far too resources behind something as
>> important
>> as Kom. Making a fork of it cuts these resources in half.
>
> Hmm, I think most of the discussion is simply a misunderstanding, I'm
> not forking anything.
>
> With my changes to Pharo (which of course first need to be
> integrated),
> the changed (not forked!) version of Kom and the few changes for
> Seaside
> (which need to be integrated) there is no need for a fork!!!
>
> Those versions should work on both Squeak and Pharo.
>
> It's not monkey patching, none of the packages touch other stuff any
> more than they did before. I just changed Kom so its monkey patching
> now
> works on both Seaside and Pharo.
>
> And that's where I need you help testing.
>
> Michael

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

> With my changes to Pharo (which of course first need to be
> integrated),

I will integrate them this evening.

> the changed (not forked!) version of Kom and the few changes for
> Seaside
> (which need to be integrated) there is no need for a fork!!!
>
> Those versions should work on both Squeak and Pharo.
>
> It's not monkey patching, none of the packages touch other stuff any
> more than they did before. I just changed Kom so its monkey patching
> now
> works on both Seaside and Pharo.
>
> And that's where I need you help testing.
>
> Michael

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Janko Mivšek
Philippe,

One idea: Kom needs MIME support, Swazoo does not. So in case of Swazoo
you deal with a MIME in web server adapter, right?

What if you do the same, use your own MIME support in adapter for Kom as
well?

Best regards
Janko

Philippe Marschall pravi:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> I have problems to understand why this would be not reasonable that
>> people load a give kom version for seaside on squeak
>> and one for seaside on pharo.

> Let's face it, there are far too resources behind something as important
> as Kom. Making a fork of it cuts these resources in half.
>
> Maintenance is not doing a quick fix now so that it loads. Maintenance
> is taking care of something for several years (!) to come, fixing issues
> as they arrive, being there and responding. Removing time from other
> activities instead of finding excuses.
>

> Cheers
> Philippe

Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
Eranova d.o.o.
Ljubljana, Slovenija
www.eranova.si
tel:  01 514 22 55
faks: 01 514 22 56
gsm: 031 674 565

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Michael Rueger-6
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> With my changes to Pharo (which of course first need to be
>> integrated),
>
> I will integrate them this evening.

A quick test with loading the following packages into both the latest
Pharo and a Squeak 3.9.1 image seemed to work :-)

from http://www.squeaksource.com/KomHttpServer
DynamicBindings-gc.7
NamedProcess-RJT.2
KomServices-gc.19

from http://squeaksource.com/PharoInbox
KomHttpServer-michael_rueger.45

from http://squeaksource.com/Seaside
Seaside2.8a1-pmm.583

Michael

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Stéphane Ducasse
excellent!
I'm happy.

>>> With my changes to Pharo (which of course first need to be
>>> integrated),
>>
>> I will integrate them this evening.
>
> A quick test with loading the following packages into both the latest
> Pharo and a Squeak 3.9.1 image seemed to work :-)
>
> from http://www.squeaksource.com/KomHttpServer
> DynamicBindings-gc.7
> NamedProcess-RJT.2
> KomServices-gc.19
>
> from http://squeaksource.com/PharoInbox
> KomHttpServer-michael_rueger.45
>
> from http://squeaksource.com/Seaside
> Seaside2.8a1-pmm.583
>
> Michael

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Philippe Marschall-2-3
Michael Rueger wrote:

> Philippe Marschall wrote:
>> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>> I have problems to understand why this would be not reasonable that
>>> people load a give kom version for seaside on squeak
>>> and one for seaside on pharo.
>> Let's face it, there are far too resources behind something as important
>> as Kom. Making a fork of it cuts these resources in half.
>
> Hmm, I think most of the discussion is simply a misunderstanding, I'm
> not forking anything.
>
> With my changes to Pharo (which of course first need to be integrated),
> the changed (not forked!) version of Kom and the few changes for Seaside
> (which need to be integrated) there is no need for a fork!!!
>
> Those versions should work on both Squeak and Pharo.

Very well then. Can you contact Giovanni to have your changes integrated at:

http://www.squeaksource.com/KomHttpServer.html

> It's not monkey patching, none of the packages touch other stuff any
> more than they did before. I just changed Kom so its monkey patching now
> works on both Seaside and Pharo.
>
> And that's where I need you help testing.

I did a short test with Seaside 2.8 and Squeak 3.9 and it seems to work.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Stéphane Ducasse
>> Those versions should work on both Squeak and Pharo.

Cool
Excellent

> Very well then. Can you contact Giovanni to have your changes
> integrated at:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/KomHttpServer.html

Giovanni we need your help so get the changes that are in the
PharoInbox repository on
squeaksource in KomHttpServer.

Can you help us?

>> It's not monkey patching, none of the packages touch other stuff any
>> more than they did before. I just changed Kom so its monkey
>> patching now
>> works on both Seaside and Pharo.
>>
>> And that's where I need you help testing.
>
> I did a short test with Seaside 2.8 and Squeak 3.9 and it seems to
> work.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Giovanni Corriga
Stéphane Ducasse ha scritto:

>>> Those versions should work on both Squeak and Pharo.
>
> Cool
> Excellent
>>
>> Very well then. Can you contact Giovanni to have your changes
>> integrated at:
>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/KomHttpServer.html
>
> Giovanni we need your help so get the changes that are in the PharoInbox
> repository on
> squeaksource in KomHttpServer.
>
> Can you help us?

Hi Stef,

I gave a look at Micheal fix, and have integrated it into
KomHttpServer-gc.45.mcz available in the main KomHttpServer repository (
http://www.squeaksource.com/KomHttpServer/ ). Still need to be tested
though.

        Giovanni

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Michael Rueger-6
Giovanni Corriga wrote:

> I gave a look at Micheal fix, and have integrated it into
> KomHttpServer-gc.45.mcz available in the main KomHttpServer repository (
> http://www.squeaksource.com/KomHttpServer/ ). Still need to be tested
> though.

Thank you! :-)

Michael

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

TX tx tx!
Stef

> I gave a look at Micheal fix, and have integrated it into
> KomHttpServer-gc.45.mcz available in the main KomHttpServer
> repository ( http://www.squeaksource.com/KomHttpServer/ ). Still
> need to be tested though.
>
> Giovanni

123