MNU after clean install...

12

MNU after clean install...

Eric Hochmeister-2
After I perform an install of Seaside 2.9.0a4 on a clean Pharo image,
I start Comanche and when I navigate to the url
(localhost:port/seaside), I receive the following error.
Does anyone else get this error?

==========================

Internal Server Error

MessageNotUnderstood: WANullCodec class>>url

Re: MNU after clean install...

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [Seaside] MNU after clean install...

Same here, heh, my first time with pharo too.

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

Re: MNU after clean install...

Julian Fitzell-2
Indeed. You'll see this problem if you use WAKom to start your
adaptor. Nobody noticed because all we're all using the new control
panel instead... :)

This is fixed in Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche-jf.41 if you want to update.

Or:
 - add a call to #new in WAKom>>defaultCodec and WAKomEncoded>>defaultCodec; or
 - use the control panel available in the World->Tools->more... menu
to add the instance instead; or
 - execute "WAKom default codec: WANullCodec new"

Julian

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Boris Popov<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Same here, heh, my first time with pharo too.
>
> -Boris (via BlackBerry)

Julian,

Thanks, that did the trick. Now, would you have any idea why it might be
taking 2,000ms to increment a counter example in this configuration?
Seaside 2.8 on VisualWorks averages around 70ms on my machine, so
there's got to be something wrong with the setup of Pharo and 2.9a4 on
my side... Specific comparison screenshots can be found at
http://tinyurl.com/mqsprp

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

wrote:
> Same here, heh, my first time with pharo too.
>
> -Boris (via BlackBerry)

<[hidden email]>

> Sent: Tue Jul 21 21:16:34 2009
> Subject: [Seaside] MNU after clean install...
>
> After I perform an install of Seaside 2.9.0a4 on a clean Pharo image,
> I start Comanche and when I navigate to the url
> (localhost:port/seaside), I receive the following error.
> Does anyone else get this error?
>
> ==========================
>
> Internal Server Error
>
> MessageNotUnderstood: WANullCodec class>>url

RE: MNU after clean install...

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Pharo0.1
Latest update: #10379
Squeak VM 3.11.3 (beta) from Jul 10 2009

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

wrote:
> Same here, heh, my first time with pharo too.
>
> -Boris (via BlackBerry)

<[hidden email]>

> Sent: Tue Jul 21 21:16:34 2009
> Subject: [Seaside] MNU after clean install...
>
> After I perform an install of Seaside 2.9.0a4 on a clean Pharo image,
> I start Comanche and when I navigate to the url
> (localhost:port/seaside), I receive the following error.
> Does anyone else get this error?
>
> ==========================
>
> Internal Server Error
>
> MessageNotUnderstood: WANullCodec class>>url

systeminfo.txt (4K) Download Attachment

Re: MNU after clean install...

Julian Fitzell-2
Not off the top of my head.

The development tools are kind of hard to enable in the 2.9 alphas at
the moment but try this to get the profiler:

+ make sure Seaside-Squeak-Development package is loaded
+ go to the config page
+ click Configure next to your application
+ under Ancestry, the configuration "Application Defaults" should be
listed; if not, add it
+ click "Application Defaults". This configuration should be inherited
by all applications by default
+ add WADevelopmentConfiguration to the ancestry
+ click Close
+ click Close
+ start a new session of your application

Now you can click Profile in the toolbar, do a few requests and click
"stop profiling".  Hopefully the tree view will shed some light on
where all the time is being spent (it's definitely not slow in my
image).

Julian

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Boris Popov<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Julian,
>
> Thanks, that did the trick. Now, would you have any idea why it might be
> taking 2,000ms to increment a counter example in this configuration?
> Seaside 2.8 on VisualWorks averages around 70ms on my machine, so
> there's got to be something wrong with the setup of Pharo and 2.9a4 on
> my side... Specific comparison screenshots can be found at
> http://tinyurl.com/mqsprp
>
> Cheers!
>
> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

Not surprisingly,

Duration
0:00:00:00.004
0:00:00:00.002
0:00:00:00.004
0:00:00:00.001
0:00:00:00.004
0:00:00:00.002
0:00:00:00.004

Web Inspector and Firebug both report the bulk of that time spent in Latency (Safari term) or Connecting/Waiting for response (Firebug term). I'll try this on plain XP tonight to see if it might be a Vista issue.

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

The development tools are kind of hard to enable in the 2.9 alphas at
the moment but try this to get the profiler:

+ make sure Seaside-Squeak-Development package is loaded
+ go to the config page
+ click Configure next to your application
+ under Ancestry, the configuration "Application Defaults" should be
listed; if not, add it
+ click "Application Defaults". This configuration should be inherited
by all applications by default
+ add WADevelopmentConfiguration to the ancestry
+ click Close
+ click Close
+ start a new session of your application

Now you can click Profile in the toolbar, do a few requests and click
"stop profiling".  Hopefully the tree view will shed some light on
where all the time is being spent (it's definitely not slow in my
image).

Julian

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Boris Popov<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Julian,
>
> Thanks, that did the trick. Now, would you have any idea why it might be
> taking 2,000ms to increment a counter example in this configuration?
> Seaside 2.8 on VisualWorks averages around 70ms on my machine, so
> there's got to be something wrong with the setup of Pharo and 2.9a4 on
> my side... Specific comparison screenshots can be found at
> http://tinyurl.com/mqsprp
>
> Cheers!
>
> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

This same image + vm combo running on XP is working just fine. Sigh.

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Boris Popov <[hidden email]> wrote:
This same image + vm combo running on XP is working just fine. Sigh.

Sorry, I cannot resist, but Vista sucks.

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

The development tools are kind of hard to enable in the 2.9 alphas at
the moment but try this to get the profiler:

+ make sure Seaside-Squeak-Development package is loaded
+ go to the config page
+ click Configure next to your application
+ under Ancestry, the configuration "Application Defaults" should be
listed; if not, add it
+ click "Application Defaults". This configuration should be inherited
by all applications by default
+ add WADevelopmentConfiguration to the ancestry
+ click Close
+ click Close
+ start a new session of your application

Now you can click Profile in the toolbar, do a few requests and click
"stop profiling".  Hopefully the tree view will shed some light on
where all the time is being spent (it's definitely not slow in my
image).

Julian

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Boris Popov<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Julian,
>
> Thanks, that did the trick. Now, would you have any idea why it might be
> taking 2,000ms to increment a counter example in this configuration?
> Seaside 2.8 on VisualWorks averages around 70ms on my machine, so
> there's got to be something wrong with the setup of Pharo and 2.9a4 on
> my side... Specific comparison screenshots can be found at
> http://tinyurl.com/mqsprp
>
> Cheers!
>
> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

I can’t say I disagree, but it doesn’t help me ;) It can’t be a system-wide issue though, as Apache on this same machine behaves normally (0ms connecting, 5ms waiting for response).

-Boris

--

+1.604.689.0322

DeepCove Labs Ltd.

4th floor 595 Howe Street

Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5

http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

The development tools are kind of hard to enable in the 2.9 alphas at
the moment but try this to get the profiler:

+ make sure Seaside-Squeak-Development package is loaded
+ go to the config page
+ click Configure next to your application
+ under Ancestry, the configuration "Application Defaults" should be
listed; if not, add it
+ click "Application Defaults". This configuration should be inherited
by all applications by default
+ add WADevelopmentConfiguration to the ancestry
+ click Close
+ click Close
+ start a new session of your application

Now you can click Profile in the toolbar, do a few requests and click
"stop profiling".  Hopefully the tree view will shed some light on
where all the time is being spent (it's definitely not slow in my
image).

Julian

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Boris Popov<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Julian,
>
> Thanks, that did the trick. Now, would you have any idea why it might be
> taking 2,000ms to increment a counter example in this configuration?
> Seaside 2.8 on VisualWorks averages around 70ms on my machine, so
> there's got to be something wrong with the setup of Pharo and 2.9a4 on
> my side... Specific comparison screenshots can be found at
> http://tinyurl.com/mqsprp
>
> Cheers!
>
> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

Hmm... ipv6? Could be something to do with how localhost is resolving
- it could be trying ipv6 first then timing out after 2 seconds.

Check the hosts file and see if you need to swap the order of the
entries or something.

Julian

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Boris Popov<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can’t say I disagree, but it doesn’t help me ;) It can’t be a system-wide
> issue though, as Apache on this same machine behaves normally (0ms
> connecting, 5ms waiting for response).
>

> -Boris
>

> --
>
> +1.604.689.0322
>
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
>
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
>
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
>
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

Hmm, good point, 127.0.0.1 is definitely snappy, but removing IPv6 address from a hosts file didn't seem to make any difference. Oh well, this gets me going anyway, thanks!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

Hmm... ipv6? Could be something to do with how localhost is resolving
- it could be trying ipv6 first then timing out after 2 seconds.

Check the hosts file and see if you need to swap the order of the
entries or something.

Julian

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Boris Popov<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can't say I disagree, but it doesn't help me ;) It can't be a system-wide
> issue though, as Apache on this same machine behaves normally (0ms
> connecting, 5ms waiting for response).
>

> -Boris
>

> --
>
> +1.604.689.0322
>
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
>
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
>
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
>
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

Andreas.Raab
Hi Boris -

Since the issue seems to be specific for Vista, could you try running
this from the command line to see if it makes any difference?

   netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

To restore to original settings use "autotuninglevel=normal". See
http://www.google.com/search?q=vista+tcp+window+size for background info.

Thanks,
   - Andreas

Boris Popov wrote:

> I can’t say I disagree, but it doesn’t help me ;) It can’t be a
> system-wide issue though, as Apache on this same machine behaves
> normally (0ms connecting, 5ms waiting for response).
>

> -Boris
>

> --
>
> +1.604.689.0322
>
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
>
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
>
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
>
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

I disabled IPv6 system-wide and removed the entry from etc/hosts, all appears normal now. Lovely. Thanks!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

Hmm... ipv6? Could be something to do with how localhost is resolving
- it could be trying ipv6 first then timing out after 2 seconds.

Check the hosts file and see if you need to swap the order of the
entries or something.

Julian

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Boris Popov<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can't say I disagree, but it doesn't help me ;) It can't be a system-wide
> issue though, as Apache on this same machine behaves normally (0ms
> connecting, 5ms waiting for response).
>

> -Boris
>

> --
>
> +1.604.689.0322
>
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
>
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
>
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
>
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

Re: Re: MNU after clean install...

Philippe Marschall
2009/7/22 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Boris -
>
> Since the issue seems to be specific for Vista, could you try running this
> from the command line to see if it makes any difference?
>
>  netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
>
> To restore to original settings use "autotuninglevel=normal". See
> http://www.google.com/search?q=vista+tcp+window+size for background info.

Do you know the state of IPv6 support in the VM? IIRC at least OLPC has it.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: MNU after clean install...

Andreas.Raab
Philippe Marschall wrote:
> Do you know the state of IPv6 support in the VM? IIRC at least OLPC has it.

The 3.11 series of VMs have the necessary support code. So do the 4.x
Mac VMs if I remember correctly (but you'd need to ask John to make sure).

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Re: MNU after clean install...

Philippe Marschall
2009/7/22, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:
> Philippe Marschall wrote:
>> Do you know the state of IPv6 support in the VM? IIRC at least OLPC has
>> it.
>
> The 3.11 series of VMs have the necessary support code. So do the 4.x
> Mac VMs if I remember correctly (but you'd need to ask John to make sure).

Boris, can you try one of those VMs and check if that fixes the
problems as well?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Re: MNU after clean install...

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [Seaside] Re: MNU after clean install...

Sure, Ill give it a try and let you know tomorrow.

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

2009/7/22, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:
> Philippe Marschall wrote:
>> Do you know the state of IPv6 support in the VM? IIRC at least OLPC has
>> it.
>
> The 3.11 series of VMs have the necessary support code. So do the 4.x
> Mac VMs if I remember correctly (but you'd need to ask John to make sure).

Boris, can you try one of those VMs and check if that fixes the
problems as well?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Re: MNU after clean install...

johnmci
4.0.1b1 was the first macintosh carbon VM to support IPV6 Sockets

On 22-Jul-09, at 10:25 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Philippe Marschall wrote:
>> Do you know the state of IPv6 support in the VM? IIRC at least OLPC
>> has it.
>
> The 3.11 series of VMs have the necessary support code. So do the
> 4.x Mac VMs if I remember correctly (but you'd need to ask John to
> make sure).
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

=
=
=
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:
squeaker68882
=
=
=