MOOC for English learners

Gour
Hello,

after being interested in Pharo some months ago, in the meantime I was
exploring some alternatives like Racket and Red (open-sources successor
of Rebol) both of which can be suitable for writing multi-platform
desktop GUI apps...but now want to spend some more time exploring Pharo
and I'm glad to see existance of MOOC course, but wonder if all the
videos are planned to be annotated with English subtitles making the
whole course suitable for non-French self-learners?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Never was there a time when I did not exist,
nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future

Re: MOOC for English learners

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi Gour,

All videos have English subtitles available. See at [1] and follow the
"videos" link, where you'll find the English subtitles. Is a superb
course and it clarified a lot for me and made curious about other stuff.

[1] http://files.pharo.org/mooc/

Cheers,

Offray

On 15/08/16 12:17, Gour wrote:

> Hello,
>
> after being interested in Pharo some months ago, in the meantime I was
> exploring some alternatives like Racket and Red (open-sources successor
> of Rebol) both of which can be suitable for writing multi-platform
> desktop GUI apps...but now want to spend some more time exploring Pharo
> and I'm glad to see existance of MOOC course, but wonder if all the
> videos are planned to be annotated with English subtitles making the
> whole course suitable for non-French self-learners?
>

> Sincerely,
> Gour

Re: MOOC for English learners

Gour
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 13:09:47 -0500
Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
<[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

> All videos have English subtitles available. See at [1] and follow
> the "videos" link, where you'll find the English subtitles.

Now I see...Thanks.

Any info whether MOOC can be downloaded via FTP?

> Is a superb course and it clarified a lot for me and made curious about
> other stuff.

It looks so and makes me enthusiastic to dive into Pharo. :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The spirit soul bewildered by the influence of false ego thinks
himself the doer of activities that are in actuality carried out

On 15/08/16 13:50, Gour wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 13:09:47 -0500
> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
>> All videos have English subtitles available. See at [1] and follow
>> the "videos" link, where you'll find the English subtitles.
> Now I see...Thanks.
>
> Any info whether MOOC can be downloaded via FTP?

License wise, you're enabled to download it and verbatim reuse it for
non-commercial purposes. I see that all the links are http, so I don't
know if ftp is enabled. Anyway you could use wget and alike to setup a
tasks that follows the links in the page and download the videos and
subtitles.

Cheers,

Offray

Re: MOOC for English learners

Gour
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 14:19:46 -0500
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> License wise, you're enabled to download it and verbatim reuse it for
> non-commercial purposes.

OK, then I hope I apply desiring to use it for Pharo self-learning.

> I see that all the links are http, so I don't know if ftp is enabled.
> Anyway you could use wget and alike to setup a tasks that follows the
> links in the page and download the videos and subtitles.

The course really looks great nad kudos to all its authors!!

Having some like that is really wonderful way to bring new people to
Pharo.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master.
Inquire from him submissively and render service unto him.

Re: MOOC for English learners

jfabry
I did not know the videos were online. This is really great!

Now the only thing missing is adding to the weekly itemized list the link to the exact videos+subtitle files, instead of just a videos list. This will help the confused students a lot :-)

--
Does this mail seem too brief? Sorry for that, I don’t mean to be rude! Please see http://emailcharter.org .

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

> On Aug 15, 2016, at 15:09, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Gour,
>
> All videos have English subtitles available. See at [1] and follow the "videos" link, where you'll find the English subtitles. Is a superb course and it clarified a lot for me and made curious about other stuff.
>
> [1] http://files.pharo.org/mooc/
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray
>

> On 15/08/16 12:17, Gour wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> after being interested in Pharo some months ago, in the meantime I was
>> exploring some alternatives like Racket and Red (open-sources successor
>> of Rebol) both of which can be suitable for writing multi-platform
>> desktop GUI apps...but now want to spend some more time exploring Pharo
>> and I'm glad to see existance of MOOC course, but wonder if all the
>> videos are planned to be annotated with English subtitles making the
>> whole course suitable for non-French self-learners?
>>

>> Sincerely,
>> Gour

Re: MOOC for English learners

stepharo
Thanks

Do not hesitate to ask any questions you want.

We are also checking why the web portal of the mooc does not show the
option to get access to english

subtitle.

We are also working on a new graphic kernel and I hope that it will be
cooler than the one of Red :).

Stef

Le 15/8/16 à 21:35, Gour a écrit :

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 14:19:46 -0500
> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> License wise, you're enabled to download it and verbatim reuse it for
>> non-commercial purposes.
> OK, then I hope I apply desiring to use it for Pharo self-learning.
>
>> I see that all the links are http, so I don't know if ftp is enabled.
>> Anyway you could use wget and alike to setup a tasks that follows the
>> links in the page and download the videos and subtitles.
> The course really looks great nad kudos to all its authors!!
>
> Having some like that is really wonderful way to bring new people to
> Pharo.
>

> Sincerely,
> Gour

Re: MOOC for English learners

stepharo
Hi johan

http://files.pharo.org/mooc/
     check you have slides and videos per week!

There is a much better and available solution: the web portal packaged
version of the mooc
But we should put a link on the page

     http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr
http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/WebPortal/co/pharo.html

Stef

Le 15/8/16 à 21:47, Johan Fabry a écrit :

> I did not know the videos were online. This is really great!
>
> Now the only thing missing is adding to the weekly itemized list the link to the exact videos+subtitle files, instead of just a videos list. This will help the confused students a lot :-)
>
> --
> Does this mail seem too brief? Sorry for that, I don’t mean to be rude! Please see http://emailcharter.org .
>
> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile
>
>> On Aug 15, 2016, at 15:09, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gour,
>>
>> All videos have English subtitles available. See at [1] and follow the "videos" link, where you'll find the English subtitles. Is a superb course and it clarified a lot for me and made curious about other stuff.
>>
>> [1] http://files.pharo.org/mooc/
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Offray
>>

>> On 15/08/16 12:17, Gour wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> after being interested in Pharo some months ago, in the meantime I was
>>> exploring some alternatives like Racket and Red (open-sources successor
>>> of Rebol) both of which can be suitable for writing multi-platform
>>> desktop GUI apps...but now want to spend some more time exploring Pharo
>>> and I'm glad to see existance of MOOC course, but wonder if all the
>>> videos are planned to be annotated with English subtitles making the
>>> whole course suitable for non-French self-learners?
>>>

>>> Sincerely,
>>> Gour

Re: MOOC for English learners

Gour
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 09:52:11 +0200
stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hiya Stef,

> There is a much better and available solution: the web portal
> packaged version of the mooc
> But we should put a link on the page
>
>      http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr
> http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/WebPortal/co/pharo.html

This is a game changer. ;)

With such educational material, it's hard to desist temptation. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
For him who has conquered the mind, the mind is the best of
friends; but for one who has failed to do so, his mind will

Re: MOOC for English learners

Gour
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 09:45:47 +0200
stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks

I'm sold out on Pharo now. :-)

> Do not hesitate to ask any questions you want.

Sure...I'm starting asap. ;)

> We are also working on a new graphic kernel and I hope that it will
> be cooler than the one of Red :).

Wonderful! Any URL in regard?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Perform your prescribed duty, for doing so is better than not
working. One cannot even maintain one's physical body without work.

Re: MOOC for English learners

Gour
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 09:45:47 +0200
stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are also checking why the web portal of the mooc does not show the
> option to get access to english subtitle.

Yeah, that's the only missing item to make the whole experience
terrific...waiting for a fix. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Therefore, without being attached to the fruits of activities,
one should act as a matter of duty, for by working without

Re: MOOC for English learners

stepharo

Hi Travis

Brick new widget library

Bloc new graphic library

Athens/Sparta = API to talk to cairo / Moz2d

On youtube you can find old videos of old bloc versions.
Our goal is to replace Morphic.

Stef

Le 16/8/16 à 10:40, Gour a écrit :
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 09:45:47 +0200
> stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We are also checking why the web portal of the mooc does not show the
>> option to get access to english subtitle.
> Yeah, that's the only missing item to make the whole experience
> terrific...waiting for a fix. ;)
I added all the srt to the file server and now we discovered that we
should convert them in vtt.
So I writing a srt to vtt transformer because I failed to find one
running on mac.

> Sincerely,
> Gour

Re: MOOC for English learners

Gour
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 22:07:26 +0200
stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I added all the srt to the file server and now we discovered that we
> should convert them in vtt.
> So I writing a srt to vtt transformer because I failed to find one
> running on mac.

Thanks a lot for working on it...much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
You have a right to perform your prescribed duty, but you
are not entitled to the fruits of action. Never consider