MOViewRendered>>edges:from:toAll: ???

Nicolas Anquetil

What is the purpose of the first argument of this method?

MOViewRendered>>
edges: aCollection from: aFromBlock toAll: aToBlock
    "aToBlock should return a collection, edges will be drawn from the element returned by aFromBlock to this collection"

    ^self edges: aCollection from: aFromBlock toAll: aToBlock using: self edgeShape

nicolas

Re: MOViewRendered>>edges:from:toAll: ???

Tudor Girba
The first argument provides the model behind the edge.

For example:

view nodes: classes.
view edges: classes from: [:each | each ] toAll: [:each | each invokedClasses].

Behind each edge, there will be one class. If a class invokes multiple classes, the same class will be behind each of the corresponding edges.

Cheers,
Doru

On 18 Feb 2011, at 10:45, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:

> What is the purpose of the first argument of this method?
>
> MOViewRendered>>
> edges: aCollection from: aFromBlock toAll: aToBlock
>     "aToBlock should return a collection, edges will be drawn from the element returned by aFromBlock to this collection"
>
>     ^self edges: aCollection from: aFromBlock toAll: aToBlock using: self edgeShape
>
> nicolas

www.tudorgirba.com

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

Re: MOViewRendered>>edges:from:toAll: ???

Nicolas Anquetil
thanks doru, but I am afraid I did not get it :-(

An edge goes from aNode to anotherNode, what do you mean by "behind the edge"

> Behind each edge, there will be one class. If a class invokes multiple
> classes, the same class will be behind each of the corresponding
> edges.

this seems to be refering to the source of the edge, so why do you also need to put it "behind"?

nicolas

> The first argument provides the model behind the edge.
>
> For example:
>
> view nodes: classes.
> view edges: classes from: [:each | each ] toAll: [:each | each
> invokedClasses].
>
> Behind each edge, there will be one class. If a class invokes multiple
> classes, the same class will be behind each of the corresponding
> edges.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 18 Feb 2011, at 10:45, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:
>

> > What is the purpose of the first argument of this method?
> >
> > MOViewRendered>>
> > edges: aCollection from: aFromBlock toAll: aToBlock
> >     "aToBlock should return a collection, edges will be drawn from
> >     the element returned by aFromBlock to this collection"
> >
> >     ^self edges: aCollection from: aFromBlock toAll: aToBlock using:
> >     self edgeShape
> >
> > nicolas

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

Re: MOViewRendered>>edges:from:toAll: ???

simondenier

What Doru is saying is that there are actually two models when drawing with Mondrian: your domain model, which holds your data, and the Mondrian model, basically Node+Edge. The Mondrian model is built on top of your domain model using constructors such as #edges:from:toAll:

So the first argument of #edges:from:toAll:  is the collection of data from your domain. To take another example:

view edges: someFamixInvocations from: #sender toAll: #candidates

will draw an edge from the sender (method) of the invocation to each candidate of the invocation.

On 18 févr. 2011, at 11:07, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:

> thanks doru, but I am afraid I did not get it :-(
>
> An edge goes from aNode to anotherNode, what do you mean by "behind the edge"
>
>> Behind each edge, there will be one class. If a class invokes multiple
>> classes, the same class will be behind each of the corresponding
>> edges.
>
> this seems to be refering to the source of the edge, so why do you also need to put it "behind"?
>
> nicolas

Simon Denier

Re: MOViewRendered>>edges:from:toAll: ???

Nicolas Anquetil

ok

thanks Simon, it is getting clearer

May I propose a longer (hopefully more explicit) comment?

"- aCollection is the collection of edges to represent.
 - aFromBlock will be called on each element of the collection and return one edge source each time.
 - aToBlock will be called similarly to return a collection of destination correpsonding to each source.
Note that there is no restriction on the elements of aCollection, as long as aFromBlock returns a node and aToBlock returns a collection of nodes.
For example:
   aView edges: someFamixInvocations from: #sender toAll: #candidates"

I agree that might seem a bit long for a typicall smalltalk comment ;-) , but it might help understand better how the thing works ...
I would still like to specify more clearly that the "blocks" do not need to be blocks (#yourself, #sender, #candidates, ...) but this is already some start ...

nicolas

> What Doru is saying is that there are actually two models when drawing
> with Mondrian: your domain model, which holds your data, and the
> Mondrian model, basically Node+Edge. The Mondrian model is built on
> top of your domain model using constructors such as #edges:from:toAll:
>
> So the first argument of #edges:from:toAll: is the collection of data
> from your domain. To take another example:
>
> view edges: someFamixInvocations from: #sender toAll: #candidates
>
> will draw an edge from the sender (method) of the invocation to each
> candidate of the invocation.
>

> On 18 févr. 2011, at 11:07, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:
>
> > thanks doru, but I am afraid I did not get it :-(
> >
> > An edge goes from aNode to anotherNode, what do you mean by "behind
> > the edge"
> >
> >> Behind each edge, there will be one class. If a class invokes
> >> multiple
> >> classes, the same class will be behind each of the corresponding
> >> edges.
> >
> > this seems to be refering to the source of the edge, so why do you
> > also need to put it "behind"?
> >
> > nicolas

Alexandre Bergel
In version 2.50 of Mondrian.

Thanks Nicolas.

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: MOViewRendered>>edges:from:toAll: ???

Tudor Girba
Thanks for the comment.

Just a note. Blocks have to be blocks. The symbol just behaves like a special block in the case of Mondrian (because it understands value:).

Cheers,
Doru

On 18 Feb 2011, at 13:30, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:

> ok
>
> thanks Simon, it is getting clearer
>
> May I propose a longer (hopefully more explicit) comment?
>
> "- aCollection is the collection of edges to represent.
> - aFromBlock will be called on each element of the collection and return one edge source each time.
> - aToBlock will be called similarly to return a collection of destination correpsonding to each source.
> Note that there is no restriction on the elements of aCollection, as long as aFromBlock returns a node and aToBlock returns a collection of nodes.
> For example:
>   aView edges: someFamixInvocations from: #sender toAll: #candidates"
>

> I agree that might seem a bit long for a typicall smalltalk comment ;-) , but it might help understand better how the thing works ...
> I would still like to specify more clearly that the "blocks" do not need to be blocks (#yourself, #sender, #candidates, ...) but this is already some start ...
>
> nicolas

www.tudorgirba.com

"We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Re: MOViewRendered>>edges:from:toAll: ???

Nicolas Anquetil
thank you

actually I just realized I mixed up my examples, I wanted to put the one of Tudor where the collection is not of edges: