MPEG Player

Chris Cunnington
Every project needs a quick victory to create some momentum, so I've taken a slight detour from Sophie to Scratch. I've uploaded a player taken from Scratch to http://www.squeaksource.com/MultiMedia.html. (Writable to all)

You can load it into an updated 4.1 image. Then you can get a movie file to put on your desktop from here:

In a Workspace, you can enter:

MoviePlayerMorph new openInWorld

do it, and you'll get a player. Hit the "Open" button, find the "castle.mpg" you just downloaded, and you'll have something that looks like this:

Then you can press "Play" and listen and watch the bird. To "Play" again you need to "Rewind" first.

The file is an MPEG1 Muxed. It is quite old and if this player can play anything else, I couldn't say.

It's a pretty humble beginning, but seeing as I posted the idea less than 48 hours ago, and now you're looking at a movie in 4.1, I think that's a solid start.

Chris

Re: MPEG Player

Hannes Hirzel
On 8/27/10, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Every project needs a quick victory to create some momentum, so I've taken a
> slight detour from Sophie to Scratch. I've uploaded a player taken from
> Scratch to http://www.squeaksource.com/MultiMedia.html. (Writable to all)
>
> You can load it into an updated 4.1 image. Then you can get a movie file to
> put on your desktop from here:
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/1/castle.mpg.zip
>
> In a Workspace, you can enter:
>
> MoviePlayerMorph new openInWorld
>
> do it, and you'll get a player. Hit the "Open" button, find the "castle.mpg"
> you just downloaded, and you'll have something that looks like this:
>
> http://www.smalltalktelevision.com/player.jpg
>
> Then you can press "Play" and listen and watch the bird. To "Play" again you
> need to "Rewind" first.
>
> The file is an MPEG1 Muxed. It is quite old and if this player can play
> anything else, I couldn't say.
>
> It's a pretty humble beginning, but seeing as I posted the idea less than 48
> hours ago, and now you're looking at a movie in 4.1, I think that's a solid
> start.

Yes, indeed. Congrats. Hannes

Today I was thinking about the VLC player. It plays a lot of formats
and seemingly they manage the licenses issue. There is a portable
version http://www.portableapps.com

Would it be possible to just wrap it from withing Squeak?

--Hannes