MQTT Data Broker & Client in Smalltalk

johnmci
Today we are pushing out a MQTT V311 client and data broker we've written in pure smalltalk. It is based on Tim Rowledge's earlier work, but as far as I know the only data broker in smalltalk.

John M. McIntosh. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk

Re: MQTT Data Broker & Client in Smalltalk

ducasse
Thanks John

Great news.
Do you know how different it is from https://github.com/svenvc/mqtt.
I saw that Sven have some tests. I did not see if he has the server part.

Stef

On 16 Apr 2019, at 04:00, John M McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:

Today we are pushing out a MQTT V311 client and data broker we've written in pure smalltalk. It is based on Tim Rowledge's earlier work, but as far as I know the only data broker in smalltalk.

John M. McIntosh. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk

Re: MQTT Data Broker & Client in Smalltalk

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 16 Apr 2019, at 08:10, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks John
>
> Great news.
> Do you know how different it is from https://github.com/svenvc/mqtt.
> I saw that Sven have some tests. I did not see if he has the server part.

Yes, that is correct: what I once did was a new MQTT client, an MQTT broker is a server that manages the distribution of messages.

> Stef
>

>> On 16 Apr 2019, at 04:00, John M McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Today we are pushing out a MQTT V311 client and data broker we've written in pure smalltalk. It is based on Tim Rowledge's earlier work, but as far as I know the only data broker in smalltalk.
>>
>> https://github.com/LabWare/MQTT-broker

>> John M. McIntosh. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk

Re: MQTT Data Broker & Client in Smalltalk

ducasse
I like to see tests there :)
I’m trying to write tests for the sound package and this is an kind of strange exercise.

Stef

> On 16 Apr 2019, at 09:23, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 16 Apr 2019, at 08:10, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks John
>>
>> Great news.
>> Do you know how different it is from https://github.com/svenvc/mqtt.
>> I saw that Sven have some tests. I did not see if he has the server part.
>
> Yes, that is correct: what I once did was a new MQTT client, an MQTT broker is a server that manages the distribution of messages.
>
>> Stef
>>

>>> On 16 Apr 2019, at 04:00, John M McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Today we are pushing out a MQTT V311 client and data broker we've written in pure smalltalk. It is based on Tim Rowledge's earlier work, but as far as I know the only data broker in smalltalk.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/LabWare/MQTT-broker

>>> John M. McIntosh. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk

Re: MQTT Data Broker & Client in Smalltalk

johnmci
Tim wrote a few tests, some of that support is in this code. No SUnits tho. What I did instead was rely on tests other people did to check for compliance to the specification for both the Client and Server in various language, Perl or Python.

As we are providing a client or a server component it is 'easy' to drive other people's spec tests to the unix socket.