classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MVP

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hello all,

I have been to busy to read today, but I like seeing any discussion of MVP.   I am **slowly** working on  a framework for it, but would  be glad to be beaten to it.

Default models are key; they must be replaceable, but (sub)triads should work "out of the box."  Models can include value holders, value adapters, converters, and contexts, depending on how they are wired.

I have something of a start on the adapters and converters, which I can try to package and make available.  If nothing else, they will have value in seeding discussion if not be directly usable.   More to come.

Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: MVP

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I'm still a little overwhelmed, but I see attention to layout; this has been a BIG stumbling block for me in my efforts to bring MVP to Pharo.  I recommend using nested composite view/presenter pairs for most layout.  First, it lends itself well to an eventual view editor, and second, can be surprisingly easy to code directly.

Each composite view has a layout manager.  Layouts include constrained table-like elements, but the real workhorses are proportional layouts, which can be set either horizontal or vertical.  By nesting them, very complicate behavior can be achieved.

There, said "nesting," and that has been where I have fallen into trouble.  Pharo/morphic layout works great for children of the top level, but after that, I can't get reliable results.

Sleep calls...

Bill

From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 6:36 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Pharo-project] MVP

Hello all,

I have been to busy to read today, but I like seeing any discussion of MVP.   I am **slowly** working on  a framework for it, but would  be glad to be beaten to it.

Default models are key; they must be replaceable, but (sub)triads should work "out of the box."  Models can include value holders, value adapters, converters, and contexts, depending on how they are wired.

I have something of a start on the adapters and converters, which I can try to package and make available.  If nothing else, they will have value in seeding discussion if not be directly usable.   More to come.

Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K
More:

proportional layouts need to let each view have a proportion (zero makes it fixed size) and splitters should be just another view that is added to a composite, following the horizontal/vertical nature of the layout manager.

From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] MVP

I'm still a little overwhelmed, but I see attention to layout; this has been a BIG stumbling block for me in my efforts to bring MVP to Pharo.  I recommend using nested composite view/presenter pairs for most layout.  First, it lends itself well to an eventual view editor, and second, can be surprisingly easy to code directly.

Each composite view has a layout manager.  Layouts include constrained table-like elements, but the real workhorses are proportional layouts, which can be set either horizontal or vertical.  By nesting them, very complicate behavior can be achieved.

There, said "nesting," and that has been where I have fallen into trouble.  Pharo/morphic layout works great for children of the top level, but after that, I can't get reliable results.

Sleep calls...

Bill

Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 6:36 PM
Subject: [Pharo-project] MVP

Hello all,

Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
if you want to have a look at what we are doing with benjamin you can have a look at
 Spec

Yesterday benjamin added inputField support and rewrote the changeSorter.

Stef

On Feb 5, 2012, at 3:28 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> More:
>
> proportional layouts need to let each view have a proportion (zero makes it fixed size) and splitters should be just another view that is added to a composite, following the horizontal/vertical nature of the layout manager.
>
>
>
>
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:25 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] MVP
>
> I'm still a little overwhelmed, but I see attention to layout; this has been a BIG stumbling block for me in my efforts to bring MVP to Pharo.  I recommend using nested composite view/presenter pairs for most layout.  First, it lends itself well to an eventual view editor, and second, can be surprisingly easy to code directly.
>
> Each composite view has a layout manager.  Layouts include constrained table-like elements, but the real workhorses are proportional layouts, which can be set either horizontal or vertical.  By nesting them, very complicate behavior can be achieved.
>
> There, said "nesting," and that has been where I have fallen into trouble.  Pharo/morphic layout works great for children of the top level, but after that, I can't get reliable results.
>
> Sleep calls...
>
> Bill
>
>
>
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 6:36 PM
> Subject: [Pharo-project] MVP
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have been to busy to read today, but I like seeing any discussion of MVP.   I am **slowly** working on  a framework for it, but would  be glad to be beaten to it.
>
> Default models are key; they must be replaceable, but (sub)triads should work "out of the box."  Models can include value holders, value adapters, converters, and contexts, depending on how they are wired.
>
> I have something of a start on the adapters and converters, which I can try to package and make available.  If nothing else, they will have value in seeding discussion if not be directly usable.   More to come.
>
> Bill

Spec.pdf (904K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

Oops - read in the wrong order (I just asked what spec might be based on a different message from you).   It seems clear from the current context that it is something I should indeed review.

Bill

From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:56 AM

if you want to have a look at what we are doing with benjamin you can have a look at
 Spec

Stef

> More:
>
> proportional layouts need to let each view have a proportion (zero makes it fixed size) and splitters should be just another view that is added to a composite, following the horizontal/vertical nature of the layout manager.
>
>
>
>
>
> I'm still a little overwhelmed, but I see attention to layout; this has been a BIG stumbling block for me in my efforts to bring MVP to Pharo.  I recommend using nested composite view/presenter pairs for most layout.  First, it lends itself well to an eventual view editor, and second, can be surprisingly easy to code directly.
>
> Each composite view has a layout manager.  Layouts include constrained table-like elements, but the real workhorses are proportional layouts, which can be set either horizontal or vertical.  By nesting them, very complicate behavior can be achieved.
>
> There, said "nesting," and that has been where I have fallen into trouble.  Pharo/morphic layout works great for children of the top level, but after that, I can't get reliable results.
>
> Sleep calls...
>
> Bill
>
>
>
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have been to busy to read today, but I like seeing any discussion of MVP.   I am **slowly** working on  a framework for it, but would  be glad to be beaten to it.
>
> Default models are key; they must be replaceable, but (sub)triads should work "out of the box."  Models can include value holders, value adapters, converters, and contexts, depending on how they are wired.
>
> I have something of a start on the adapters and converters, which I can try to package and make available.  If nothing else, they will have value in seeding discussion if not be directly usable.   More to come.
>
> Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K
In reply to this post by Stéphane Ducasse
Stef,

I skimmed the documentation and attempted to load Spec-BenjaminVanRyseghem.34.mcz into 1.3, but got an error and backed off.

Any ideas?

Bill

From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:56 AM

Spec

Stef

> More:
>
>
>
>
>
>
> I'm still a little overwhelmed, but I see attention to layout; this has been a BIG stumbling block for me in my efforts to bring MVP to Pharo.  I recommend using nested composite view/presenter pairs for most layout.  First, it lends itself well to an eventual view editor, and second, can be surprisingly easy to code directly.
>
> Each composite view has a layout manager.  Layouts include constrained table-like elements, but the real workhorses are proportional layouts, which can be set either horizontal or vertical.  By nesting them, very complicate behavior can be achieved.
>
> There, said "nesting," and that has been where I have fallen into trouble.  Pharo/morphic layout works great for children of the top level, but after that, I can't get reliable results.
>
> Sleep calls...
>
> Bill
>
>
>
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have been to busy to read today, but I like seeing any discussion of MVP.   I am **slowly** working on  a framework for it, but would  be glad to be beaten to it.
>
> Default models are key; they must be replaceable, but (sub)triads should work "out of the box."  Models can include value holders, value adapters, converters, and contexts, depending on how they are wired.
>
> I have something of a start on the adapters and converters, which I can try to package and make available.  If nothing else, they will have value in seeding discussion if not be directly usable.   More to come.
>
> Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
<base href="x-msg://907/">I am kind of a middle of something right now, so my advice is really to use the configuration (moreover I have added a lot of packages)

Keep me in touch,

Ben

On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:34 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

Stef,

I skimmed the documentation and attempted to load Spec-BenjaminVanRyseghem.34.mcz into 1.3, but got an error and backed off.

Any ideas?

Bill

From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:56 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] MVP

Spec

Stef

> More:
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
> To: [hidden email]
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Sleep calls...
> 
> Bill
> 
> 
> 
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
> 
> Hello all,
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Ben,

Ok, but I don't see it in either dirty experiments or the mc repository.  Am I missing a ConfigurationOfSpec?

Bill

From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Benjamin [[hidden email]]
Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:38 PM

I am kind of a middle of something right now, so my advice is really to use the configuration (moreover I have added a lot of packages)

Keep me in touch,

Ben

Stef,

I skimmed the documentation and attempted to load Spec-BenjaminVanRyseghem.34.mcz into 1.3, but got an error and backed off.

Any ideas?

Bill

From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]

Spec

Stef

> More:
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Sleep calls...
> 
> Bill
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Hello all,
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

<base href="x-msg://909/">Everything has been moved in ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec :)

Ben

On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:47 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

Ben,

Ok, but I don't see it in either dirty experiments or the mc repository.  Am I missing a ConfigurationOfSpec?

Bill

From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Benjamin [[hidden email]]
Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:38 PM

I am kind of a middle of something right now, so my advice is really to use the configuration (moreover I have added a lot of packages)

Keep me in touch,

Ben

Stef,

Any ideas?

Bill

Spec

Stef

> More:
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Sleep calls...
> 
> Bill
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Hello all,
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Ben,

Great, but I'm still getting nipped by a DNU of #addGroupForPackage:.  I found that no-oped in 1.4 so added it to 1.3 and was able to loadFull.  It looks like great work, but I can't get anything to run in 1.3 or 1.4.  Any ideas?

Bill

From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Benjamin [[hidden email]]
Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:53 PM

Everything has been moved in ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec :)

Ben

On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:47 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

Ben,

Bill

From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Benjamin [[hidden email]]
Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:38 PM

Keep me in touch,

Ben

Stef,

Any ideas?

Bill

Spec

Stef

> More:
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Sleep calls...
> 
> Bill
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Hello all,
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Igor Stasenko
In reply to this post by Schwab,Wilhelm K
Bill, since you working on it, please consider following.

Models & widgets:
 - all widgets which require a model/state, should require a specific
protocol for communicating with them.
 - a "real" model object may not support given protocol directly, and
for adapting it, there should be a model/value adaptors.
From design point of view, it means that widget implementation should
be free of things like we see in PluggableXYZMorph,
which turned into a storage of bunch of selectors and code into
spahetti of UI logic and model logic.
All widgets should just send messages to model in a form:
 model doSomething
or
 model askSomething
but not:
 model perform: myOnClickBigButtonSelector

If there is not possible to connect widget and model directly, we
should provide a model wrappers,
which then could carry those numerous 'myOnClickBigButtonSelector' or
block closures, connectors, whatever.

Like that, a widget designer can clearly tell , what he wants from
widget's model, what inputs his widget expects and rest is not of his
concern. No any
onClickSelector ifNil: [ yadda yadda ] ifNotNil: [ (model undestands:
onClickSelector ) ifTrue: [ model perform: onClickSelector  ] ]....

this should be replaced by appropriate model adaptors, value holders
etc , so widget may keep own code clean.

We had discussions before, like why don't use blocks instead of
selectors. And the answer was that it is easier to find
implementors/navigate connections
with symbols than blocks.. Which is true. Unless model(s) could have a
built-in support for navigating and finding real guy behind the
scenes, who responsible
for taking actions etc.
And i think this is much more appropriate than manually traverse
through the hashes of selectors from a button nested into multiple
levels of widgets,
and models connected /nested in hierarchy too..

About layouts and layouts managers.
It's kind of fine to have proportional layouts, but it doesn't solves
all needs. Sometimes we want to "put it here" and "i don't give a shit
about layouts".
I dealt with nested layout since Delphi, and while they serve well
most of the times, sometimes it is very hard to convince designed that
his design
is not really fits into out technical world, simply because you
cannout "put it here" and designer "don't give a shit about layouts".
:)

So, people invented workarounds, like in modern browsers we have
absolute/fixed/relative positioning and z-levels aka layers.
Another approach is to control layout via anchors. I did some
experiments with it not long ago, and i think it is quite promising,
except that more thought needed how to organically merge this with
traditional layouts.
Anyways, here the link to original discussion:
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2011-April/046473.html
(and somewhere there must be the code)

On 5 February 2012 04:25, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm still a little overwhelmed, but I see attention to layout; this has been
> a BIG stumbling block for me in my efforts to bring MVP to Pharo.  I
> recommend using nested composite view/presenter pairs for most layout.
> First, it lends itself well to an eventual view editor, and second, can be
> surprisingly easy to code directly.
>
> Each composite view has a layout manager.  Layouts include constrained
> table-like elements, but the real workhorses are proportional layouts, which
> can be set either horizontal or vertical.  By nesting them, very complicate
> behavior can be achieved.
>
> There, said "nesting," and that has been where I have fallen into trouble.
> Pharo/morphic layout works great for children of the top level, but after
> that, I can't get reliable results.
>
> Sleep calls...
>
> Bill
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: [hidden email]
> [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K
> [[hidden email]]
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have been to busy to read today, but I like seeing any discussion of
> MVP.   I am **slowly** working on  a framework for it, but would  be glad to
> be beaten to it.
>
> Default models are key; they must be replaceable, but (sub)triads should
> work "out of the box."  Models can include value holders, value adapters,
> converters, and contexts, depending on how they are wired.
>
> I have something of a start on the adapters and converters, which I can try
> to package and make available.  If nothing else, they will have value in
> seeding discussion if not be directly usable.   More to come.
>
> Bill
>
>
>
>

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
bill

thanks for the catch. I updated the document.

Gofer new
        url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfSpec';
        load

ConfigurationOfSpec project load: #stable

Stef

On Mar 5, 2012, at 1:24 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Ben,
>
> Great, but I'm still getting nipped by a DNU of #addGroupForPackage:.  I found that no-oped in 1.4 so added it to 1.3 and was able to loadFull.  It looks like great work, but I can't get anything to run in 1.3 or 1.4.  Any ideas?
>
> Bill
>
>
>
>
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Benjamin [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:53 PM
>
> Everything has been moved in ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec :)
>
>
> Ben
>
> On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:47 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>> Ben,
>>
>> Ok, but I don't see it in either dirty experiments or the mc repository.  Am I missing a ConfigurationOfSpec?
>>
>> Bill
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Benjamin [[hidden email]]
>> Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:38 PM
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>
>> I am kind of a middle of something right now, so my advice is really to use the configuration (moreover I have added a lot of packages)
>>
>>
>> Keep me in touch,
>>
>> Ben
>>  
>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:34 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>
>>> Stef,
>>>
>>> I skimmed the documentation and attempted to load Spec-BenjaminVanRyseghem.34.mcz into 1.3, but got an error and backed off.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
>>> Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:56 AM
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>>
>>> if you want to have a look at what we are doing with benjamin you can have a look at
>>>  Spec
>>>
>>> Yesterday benjamin added inputField support and rewrote the changeSorter.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Feb 5, 2012, at 3:28 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>
>>> > More:
>>> >
>>> > proportional layouts need to let each view have a proportion (zero makes it fixed size) and splitters should be just another view that is added to a composite, following the horizontal/vertical nature of the layout manager.
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
>>> > Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:25 PM
>>> > To: [hidden email]
>>> > Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>> >
>>> > I'm still a little overwhelmed, but I see attention to layout; this has been a BIG stumbling block for me in my efforts to bring MVP to Pharo.  I recommend using nested composite view/presenter pairs for most layout.  First, it lends itself well to an eventual view editor, and second, can be surprisingly easy to code directly.
>>> >
>>> > Each composite view has a layout manager.  Layouts include constrained table-like elements, but the real workhorses are proportional layouts, which can be set either horizontal or vertical.  By nesting them, very complicate behavior can be achieved.
>>> >
>>> > There, said "nesting," and that has been where I have fallen into trouble.  Pharo/morphic layout works great for children of the top level, but after that, I can't get reliable results.
>>> >
>>> > Sleep calls...
>>> >
>>> > Bill
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
>>> > Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 6:36 PM
>>> > Subject: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>> >
>>> > Hello all,
>>> >
>>> > I have been to busy to read today, but I like seeing any discussion of MVP.   I am **slowly** working on  a framework for it, but would  be glad to be beaten to it.
>>> >
>>> > Default models are key; they must be replaceable, but (sub)triads should work "out of the box."  Models can include value holders, value adapters, converters, and contexts, depending on how they are wired.
>>> >
>>> > I have something of a start on the adapters and converters, which I can try to package and make available.  If nothing else, they will have value in seeding discussion if not be directly usable.   More to come.
>>> >
>>> > Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

Thanks for the code!  #stable does some things on 1.4, but I still got nowhere with 1.3.  The big thing keeping me off of 1.4 is shout in the browsers - I *really* like syntax highlighting.  In fairness, I have not looked at 1.4 in a week or so, so maybe that's been fixed.  However, I can certainly run it to play around with spec.

Even on 1.4, I got a DNU over groups; this time I had to add the noop to OB, which is apparently the default in 1.4??

More fiddling to come.

Bill

Sent: Monday, March 05, 2012 3:26 AM

bill

thanks for the catch. I updated the document.

Gofer new
        url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfSpec';
        load

ConfigurationOfSpec project load: #stable

Stef

On Mar 5, 2012, at 1:24 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Ben,
>
> Great, but I'm still getting nipped by a DNU of #addGroupForPackage:.  I found that no-oped in 1.4 so added it to 1.3 and was able to loadFull.  It looks like great work, but I can't get anything to run in 1.3 or 1.4.  Any ideas?
>
> Bill
>
>
>
>
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Benjamin [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:53 PM
>
> Everything has been moved in ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec :)
>
>
> Ben
>
> On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:47 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>> Ben,
>>
>> Ok, but I don't see it in either dirty experiments or the mc repository.  Am I missing a ConfigurationOfSpec?
>>
>> Bill
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:38 PM
>>
>> I am kind of a middle of something right now, so my advice is really to use the configuration (moreover I have added a lot of packages)
>>
>>
>> Keep me in touch,
>>
>> Ben
>>
>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:34 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>
>>> Stef,
>>>
>>> I skimmed the documentation and attempted to load Spec-BenjaminVanRyseghem.34.mcz into 1.3, but got an error and backed off.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
>>> Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:56 AM
>>>
>>> if you want to have a look at what we are doing with benjamin you can have a look at
>>>  Spec
>>>
>>> Yesterday benjamin added inputField support and rewrote the changeSorter.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Feb 5, 2012, at 3:28 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>
>>> > More:
>>> >
>>> > proportional layouts need to let each view have a proportion (zero makes it fixed size) and splitters should be just another view that is added to a composite, following the horizontal/vertical nature of the layout manager.
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:25 PM
>>> > Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>> >
>>> > I'm still a little overwhelmed, but I see attention to layout; this has been a BIG stumbling block for me in my efforts to bring MVP to Pharo.  I recommend using nested composite view/presenter pairs for most layout.  First, it lends itself well to an eventual view editor, and second, can be surprisingly easy to code directly.
>>> >
>>> > Each composite view has a layout manager.  Layouts include constrained table-like elements, but the real workhorses are proportional layouts, which can be set either horizontal or vertical.  By nesting them, very complicate behavior can be achieved.
>>> >
>>> > There, said "nesting," and that has been where I have fallen into trouble.  Pharo/morphic layout works great for children of the top level, but after that, I can't get reliable results.
>>> >
>>> > Sleep calls...
>>> >
>>> > Bill
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 6:36 PM
>>> > Subject: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>> >
>>> > Hello all,
>>> >
>>> > I have been to busy to read today, but I like seeing any discussion of MVP.   I am **slowly** working on  a framework for it, but would  be glad to be beaten to it.
>>> >
>>> > Default models are key; they must be replaceable, but (sub)triads should work "out of the box."  Models can include value holders, value adapters, converters, and contexts, depending on how they are wired.
>>> >
>>> > I have something of a start on the adapters and converters, which I can try to package and make available.  If nothing else, they will have value in seeding discussion if not be directly usable.   More to come.
>>> >
>>> > Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Denker-4
In reply to this post by Stéphane Ducasse

On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:03 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> Thanks for the code!  #stable does some things on 1.4, but I still got nowhere with 1.3.  The big thing keeping me off of 1.4 is shout in the browsers - I *really* like syntax highlighting.  

Isn't Shout enabled in 1.4?

> In fairness, I have not looked at 1.4 in a week or so, so maybe that's been fixed.  However, I can certainly run it to play around with spec.
>
> Even on 1.4, I got a DNU over groups; this time I had to add the noop to OB, which is apparently the default in 1.4??

In the past you have shown to want very stable, out of the box usable, "I can not do anything wrong" kind of software. Does it then make sense
to use Nautilus, which is in active development?

Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I do need stability, but there is nothing wrong with dabbling in the unstable to test something like spec.

Sent: Monday, March 05, 2012 4:10 AM

> Stef,
>
> Thanks for the code!  #stable does some things on 1.4, but I still got nowhere with 1.3.  The big thing keeping me off of 1.4 is shout in the browsers - I *really* like syntax highlighting.

Isn't Shout enabled in 1.4?

> In fairness, I have not looked at 1.4 in a week or so, so maybe that's been fixed.  However, I can certainly run it to play around with spec.
>
> Even on 1.4, I got a DNU over groups; this time I had to add the noop to OB, which is apparently the default in 1.4??

In the past you have shown to want very stable, out of the box usable, "I can not do anything wrong" kind of software. Does it then make sense
to use Nautilus, which is in active development?

Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
spec is not made to work on 1.3

Stef

> Stef,
>
> Thanks for the code!  #stable does some things on 1.4, but I still got nowhere with 1.3.  The big thing keeping me off of 1.4 is shout in the browsers - I *really* like syntax highlighting.  In fairness, I have not looked at 1.4 in a week or so, so maybe that's been fixed.  However, I can certainly run it to play around with spec.
>
>
> More fiddling to come.
>
> Bill
>
>
> ________________________________________
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Monday, March 05, 2012 3:26 AM
>
> bill
>
> thanks for the catch. I updated the document.
>
>
> Gofer new
>        url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec';
>        package: 'ConfigurationOfSpec';
>        load
>
> ConfigurationOfSpec project load: #stable
>
>
> Stef
>
>
> On Mar 5, 2012, at 1:24 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>> Ben,
>>
>> Great, but I'm still getting nipped by a DNU of #addGroupForPackage:.  I found that no-oped in 1.4 so added it to 1.3 and was able to loadFull.  It looks like great work, but I can't get anything to run in 1.3 or 1.4.  Any ideas?
>>
>> Bill
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:53 PM
>>
>> Everything has been moved in ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec :)
>>
>>
>> Ben
>>
>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:47 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>
>>> Ben,
>>>
>>> Ok, but I don't see it in either dirty experiments or the mc repository.  Am I missing a ConfigurationOfSpec?
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Benjamin [[hidden email]]
>>> Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:38 PM
>>>
>>> I am kind of a middle of something right now, so my advice is really to use the configuration (moreover I have added a lot of packages)
>>>
>>>
>>> Keep me in touch,
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>
>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:34 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>
>>>> Stef,
>>>>
>>>> I skimmed the documentation and attempted to load Spec-BenjaminVanRyseghem.34.mcz into 1.3, but got an error and backed off.
>>>>
>>>> Any ideas?
>>>>
>>>> Bill
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
>>>> Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:56 AM
>>>> To: [hidden email]
>>>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>>>
>>>> if you want to have a look at what we are doing with benjamin you can have a look at
>>>> Spec
>>>>
>>>> Yesterday benjamin added inputField support and rewrote the changeSorter.
>>>>
>>>> Stef
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Feb 5, 2012, at 3:28 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> More:
>>>>>
>>>>> proportional layouts need to let each view have a proportion (zero makes it fixed size) and splitters should be just another view that is added to a composite, following the horizontal/vertical nature of the layout manager.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
>>>>> Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:25 PM
>>>>> To: [hidden email]
>>>>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm still a little overwhelmed, but I see attention to layout; this has been a BIG stumbling block for me in my efforts to bring MVP to Pharo.  I recommend using nested composite view/presenter pairs for most layout.  First, it lends itself well to an eventual view editor, and second, can be surprisingly easy to code directly.
>>>>>
>>>>> Each composite view has a layout manager.  Layouts include constrained table-like elements, but the real workhorses are proportional layouts, which can be set either horizontal or vertical.  By nesting them, very complicate behavior can be achieved.
>>>>>
>>>>> There, said "nesting," and that has been where I have fallen into trouble.  Pharo/morphic layout works great for children of the top level, but after that, I can't get reliable results.
>>>>>
>>>>> Sleep calls...
>>>>>
>>>>> Bill
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
>>>>> Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 6:36 PM
>>>>> Subject: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>>>>
>>>>> Hello all,
>>>>>
>>>>> I have been to busy to read today, but I like seeing any discussion of MVP.   I am **slowly** working on  a framework for it, but would  be glad to be beaten to it.
>>>>>
>>>>> Default models are key; they must be replaceable, but (sub)triads should work "out of the box."  Models can include value holders, value adapters, converters, and contexts, depending on how they are wired.
>>>>>
>>>>> I have something of a start on the adapters and converters, which I can try to package and make available.  If nothing else, they will have value in seeding discussion if not be directly usable.   More to come.
>>>>>
>>>>> Bill
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

The problem is that we improved a lot he morphic layout in 1.4, and Spec is based on that. So most probably it doesn't work in 1.3 (and I didn't put effort in this direction, and will probably not)

Try Nautilus instead of OB ^^
Again, we improved the system, but we are not maintaining OB, so it could be not up to date.

Have fun with Spec,

Ben

On Mar 5, 2012, at 1:41 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> spec is not made to work on 1.3
>
> Stef
>
> On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:03 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>> Stef,
>>
>> Thanks for the code!  #stable does some things on 1.4, but I still got nowhere with 1.3.  The big thing keeping me off of 1.4 is shout in the browsers - I *really* like syntax highlighting.  In fairness, I have not looked at 1.4 in a week or so, so maybe that's been fixed.  However, I can certainly run it to play around with spec.
>>
>> Even on 1.4, I got a DNU over groups; this time I had to add the noop to OB, which is apparently the default in 1.4??
>>
>> More fiddling to come.
>>
>> Bill
>>
>>
>> ________________________________________
>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
>> Sent: Monday, March 05, 2012 3:26 AM
>>
>> bill
>>
>> thanks for the catch. I updated the document.
>>
>>
>> Gofer new
>>       url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec';
>>       package: 'ConfigurationOfSpec';
>>       load
>>
>> ConfigurationOfSpec project load: #stable
>>
>>
>> Stef
>>
>>
>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 1:24 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>
>>> Ben,
>>>
>>> Great, but I'm still getting nipped by a DNU of #addGroupForPackage:.  I found that no-oped in 1.4 so added it to 1.3 and was able to loadFull.  It looks like great work, but I can't get anything to run in 1.3 or 1.4.  Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Benjamin [[hidden email]]
>>> Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:53 PM
>>>
>>> Everything has been moved in ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec :)
>>>
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>
>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:47 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>
>>>> Ben,
>>>>
>>>> Ok, but I don't see it in either dirty experiments or the mc repository.  Am I missing a ConfigurationOfSpec?
>>>>
>>>> Bill
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Benjamin [[hidden email]]
>>>> Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:38 PM
>>>>
>>>> I am kind of a middle of something right now, so my advice is really to use the configuration (moreover I have added a lot of packages)
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Keep me in touch,
>>>>
>>>> Ben
>>>>
>>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:34 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Stef,
>>>>>
>>>>> I skimmed the documentation and attempted to load Spec-BenjaminVanRyseghem.34.mcz into 1.3, but got an error and backed off.
>>>>>
>>>>> Any ideas?
>>>>>
>>>>> Bill
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
>>>>> Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:56 AM
>>>>>
>>>>> if you want to have a look at what we are doing with benjamin you can have a look at
>>>>> Spec
>>>>>
>>>>> Yesterday benjamin added inputField support and rewrote the changeSorter.
>>>>>
>>>>> Stef
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On Feb 5, 2012, at 3:28 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> More:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> proportional layouts need to let each view have a proportion (zero makes it fixed size) and splitters should be just another view that is added to a composite, following the horizontal/vertical nature of the layout manager.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
>>>>>> Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:25 PM
>>>>>> To: [hidden email]
>>>>>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I'm still a little overwhelmed, but I see attention to layout; this has been a BIG stumbling block for me in my efforts to bring MVP to Pharo.  I recommend using nested composite view/presenter pairs for most layout.  First, it lends itself well to an eventual view editor, and second, can be surprisingly easy to code directly.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Each composite view has a layout manager.  Layouts include constrained table-like elements, but the real workhorses are proportional layouts, which can be set either horizontal or vertical.  By nesting them, very complicate behavior can be achieved.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> There, said "nesting," and that has been where I have fallen into trouble.  Pharo/morphic layout works great for children of the top level, but after that, I can't get reliable results.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Sleep calls...
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Bill
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
>>>>>> Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 6:36 PM
>>>>>> Subject: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hello all,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I have been to busy to read today, but I like seeing any discussion of MVP.   I am **slowly** working on  a framework for it, but would  be glad to be beaten to it.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Default models are key; they must be replaceable, but (sub)triads should work "out of the box."  Models can include value holders, value adapters, converters, and contexts, depending on how they are wired.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I have something of a start on the adapters and converters, which I can try to package and make available.  If nothing else, they will have value in seeding discussion if not be directly usable.   More to come.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Bill
>>
>>
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Nautilus would be a nice GSoC project (was MVP)

Janko Mivšek
Hi Benjamin,

Are you thinking about applying with Nautilus on this Google Summer of
Code? I think your work is to be supported more, and applying to the
GSoC stipendium is a nice opportunity, not to be missed :)

Best regards
Janko

Dne 05. 03. 2012 17:46, piše Benjamin:

> The problem is that we improved a lot he morphic layout in 1.4, and Spec is based on that. So most probably it doesn't work in 1.3 (and I didn't put effort in this direction, and will probably not)
>
>
> Try Nautilus instead of OB ^^
> Again, we improved the system, but we are not maintaining OB, so it could be not up to date.
>
>
> Have fun with Spec,
>
> Ben
>
> On Mar 5, 2012, at 1:41 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> spec is not made to work on 1.3
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:03 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>
>>> Stef,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the code!  #stable does some things on 1.4, but I still got nowhere with 1.3.  The big thing keeping me off of 1.4 is shout in the browsers - I *really* like syntax highlighting.  In fairness, I have not looked at 1.4 in a week or so, so maybe that's been fixed.  However, I can certainly run it to play around with spec.
>>>
>>> Even on 1.4, I got a DNU over groups; this time I had to add the noop to OB, which is apparently the default in 1.4??
>>>
>>> More fiddling to come.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>>
>>> ________________________________________
>>> Sent: Monday, March 05, 2012 3:26 AM
>>>
>>> bill
>>>
>>> thanks for the catch. I updated the document.
>>>
>>>
>>> Gofer new
>>>       url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec';
>>>       package: 'ConfigurationOfSpec';
>>>       load
>>>
>>> ConfigurationOfSpec project load: #stable
>>>
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>>
>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 1:24 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>
>>>> Ben,
>>>>
>>>> Great, but I'm still getting nipped by a DNU of #addGroupForPackage:.  I found that no-oped in 1.4 so added it to 1.3 and was able to loadFull.  It looks like great work, but I can't get anything to run in 1.3 or 1.4.  Any ideas?
>>>>
>>>> Bill
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Benjamin [[hidden email]]
>>>> Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:53 PM
>>>>
>>>> Everything has been moved in ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec :)
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Ben
>>>>
>>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:47 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Ben,
>>>>>
>>>>> Ok, but I don't see it in either dirty experiments or the mc repository.  Am I missing a ConfigurationOfSpec?
>>>>>
>>>>> Bill
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Benjamin [[hidden email]]
>>>>> Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:38 PM
>>>>>
>>>>> I am kind of a middle of something right now, so my advice is really to use the configuration (moreover I have added a lot of packages)
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Keep me in touch,
>>>>>
>>>>> Ben
>>>>>
>>>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:34 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Stef,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I skimmed the documentation and attempted to load Spec-BenjaminVanRyseghem.34.mcz into 1.3, but got an error and backed off.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Any ideas?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Bill
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
>>>>>> Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:56 AM
>>>>>>
>>>>>> if you want to have a look at what we are doing with benjamin you can have a look at
>>>>>> Spec
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Yesterday benjamin added inputField support and rewrote the changeSorter.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Stef
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Feb 5, 2012, at 3:28 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> More:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> proportional layouts need to let each view have a proportion (zero makes it fixed size) and splitters should be just another view that is added to a composite, following the horizontal/vertical nature of the layout manager.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
>>>>>>> Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:25 PM
>>>>>>> To: [hidden email]
>>>>>>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I'm still a little overwhelmed, but I see attention to layout; this has been a BIG stumbling block for me in my efforts to bring MVP to Pharo.  I recommend using nested composite view/presenter pairs for most layout.  First, it lends itself well to an eventual view editor, and second, can be surprisingly easy to code directly.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Each composite view has a layout manager.  Layouts include constrained table-like elements, but the real workhorses are proportional layouts, which can be set either horizontal or vertical.  By nesting them, very complicate behavior can be achieved.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> There, said "nesting," and that has been where I have fallen into trouble.  Pharo/morphic layout works great for children of the top level, but after that, I can't get reliable results.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Sleep calls...
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Bill
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
>>>>>>> Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 6:36 PM
>>>>>>> Subject: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Hello all,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I have been to busy to read today, but I like seeing any discussion of MVP.   I am **slowly** working on  a framework for it, but would  be glad to be beaten to it.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Default models are key; they must be replaceable, but (sub)triads should work "out of the box."  Models can include value holders, value adapters, converters, and contexts, depending on how they are wired.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I have something of a start on the adapters and converters, which I can try to package and make available.  If nothing else, they will have value in seeding discussion if not be directly usable.   More to come.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Bill
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Nautilus would be a nice GSoC project (was MVP)

Why not :)

The thing is I do not know which steps have to be done to apply so :)

Ben

On Mar 5, 2012, at 5:54 PM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Hi Benjamin,
>
> Are you thinking about applying with Nautilus on this Google Summer of
> Code? I think your work is to be supported more, and applying to the
> GSoC stipendium is a nice opportunity, not to be missed :)
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>
> Dne 05. 03. 2012 17:46, piše Benjamin:
>> The problem is that we improved a lot he morphic layout in 1.4, and Spec is based on that. So most probably it doesn't work in 1.3 (and I didn't put effort in this direction, and will probably not)
>>
>>
>> Try Nautilus instead of OB ^^
>> Again, we improved the system, but we are not maintaining OB, so it could be not up to date.
>>
>>
>> Have fun with Spec,
>>
>> Ben
>>
>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 1:41 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> spec is not made to work on 1.3
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:03 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>
>>>> Stef,
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for the code!  #stable does some things on 1.4, but I still got nowhere with 1.3.  The big thing keeping me off of 1.4 is shout in the browsers - I *really* like syntax highlighting.  In fairness, I have not looked at 1.4 in a week or so, so maybe that's been fixed.  However, I can certainly run it to play around with spec.
>>>>
>>>> Even on 1.4, I got a DNU over groups; this time I had to add the noop to OB, which is apparently the default in 1.4??
>>>>
>>>> More fiddling to come.
>>>>
>>>> Bill
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ________________________________________
>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
>>>> Sent: Monday, March 05, 2012 3:26 AM
>>>>
>>>> bill
>>>>
>>>> thanks for the catch. I updated the document.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Gofer new
>>>>      url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec';
>>>>      package: 'ConfigurationOfSpec';
>>>>      load
>>>>
>>>> ConfigurationOfSpec project load: #stable
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Stef
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 1:24 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Ben,
>>>>>
>>>>> Great, but I'm still getting nipped by a DNU of #addGroupForPackage:.  I found that no-oped in 1.4 so added it to 1.3 and was able to loadFull.  It looks like great work, but I can't get anything to run in 1.3 or 1.4.  Any ideas?
>>>>>
>>>>> Bill
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Benjamin [[hidden email]]
>>>>> Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:53 PM
>>>>>
>>>>> Everything has been moved in ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec :)
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Ben
>>>>>
>>>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:47 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Ben,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Ok, but I don't see it in either dirty experiments or the mc repository.  Am I missing a ConfigurationOfSpec?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Bill
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Benjamin [[hidden email]]
>>>>>> Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:38 PM
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I am kind of a middle of something right now, so my advice is really to use the configuration (moreover I have added a lot of packages)
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Keep me in touch,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Ben
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:34 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Stef,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I skimmed the documentation and attempted to load Spec-BenjaminVanRyseghem.34.mcz into 1.3, but got an error and backed off.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Any ideas?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Bill
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
>>>>>>> Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:56 AM
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> if you want to have a look at what we are doing with benjamin you can have a look at
>>>>>>> Spec
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Yesterday benjamin added inputField support and rewrote the changeSorter.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Stef
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Feb 5, 2012, at 3:28 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> More:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> proportional layouts need to let each view have a proportion (zero makes it fixed size) and splitters should be just another view that is added to a composite, following the horizontal/vertical nature of the layout manager.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
>>>>>>>> Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:25 PM
>>>>>>>> To: [hidden email]
>>>>>>>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I'm still a little overwhelmed, but I see attention to layout; this has been a BIG stumbling block for me in my efforts to bring MVP to Pharo.  I recommend using nested composite view/presenter pairs for most layout.  First, it lends itself well to an eventual view editor, and second, can be surprisingly easy to code directly.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Each composite view has a layout manager.  Layouts include constrained table-like elements, but the real workhorses are proportional layouts, which can be set either horizontal or vertical.  By nesting them, very complicate behavior can be achieved.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> There, said "nesting," and that has been where I have fallen into trouble.  Pharo/morphic layout works great for children of the top level, but after that, I can't get reliable results.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Sleep calls...
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Bill
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
>>>>>>>> Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 6:36 PM
>>>>>>>> Subject: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Hello all,
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I have been to busy to read today, but I like seeing any discussion of MVP.   I am **slowly** working on  a framework for it, but would  be glad to be beaten to it.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Default models are key; they must be replaceable, but (sub)triads should work "out of the box."  Models can include value holders, value adapters, converters, and contexts, depending on how they are wired.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I have something of a start on the adapters and converters, which I can try to package and make available.  If nothing else, they will have value in seeding discussion if not be directly usable.   More to come.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Bill
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> Janko Mivšek
> Aida/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Nautilus would be a nice GSoC project (was MVP)

Janko Mivšek
Dne 05. 03. 2012 18:00, piše Benjamin:
> Why not :)
>
> The thing is I do not know which steps have to be done to apply so :)

For start just describe here answering these questions:

Project name
  Level (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced)
  Description
  Technical Details
  Benefits to the Student
  Benefits to the Community

Those are just ideas for now, but we need to be as detailed already.
Later we can choose the mentor, second mentor etc.

Best regards
Janko

>
>
> Ben
>
> On Mar 5, 2012, at 5:54 PM, Janko Mivšek wrote:
>
>> Hi Benjamin,
>>
>> Are you thinking about applying with Nautilus on this Google Summer of
>> Code? I think your work is to be supported more, and applying to the
>> GSoC stipendium is a nice opportunity, not to be missed :)
>>
>> Best regards
>> Janko
>>
>> Dne 05. 03. 2012 17:46, piše Benjamin:
>>> The problem is that we improved a lot he morphic layout in 1.4, and Spec is based on that. So most probably it doesn't work in 1.3 (and I didn't put effort in this direction, and will probably not)
>>>
>>>
>>> Try Nautilus instead of OB ^^
>>> Again, we improved the system, but we are not maintaining OB, so it could be not up to date.
>>>
>>>
>>> Have fun with Spec,
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>
>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 1:41 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>>
>>>> spec is not made to work on 1.3
>>>>
>>>> Stef
>>>>
>>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:03 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Stef,
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks for the code!  #stable does some things on 1.4, but I still got nowhere with 1.3.  The big thing keeping me off of 1.4 is shout in the browsers - I *really* like syntax highlighting.  In fairness, I have not looked at 1.4 in a week or so, so maybe that's been fixed.  However, I can certainly run it to play around with spec.
>>>>>
>>>>> Even on 1.4, I got a DNU over groups; this time I had to add the noop to OB, which is apparently the default in 1.4??
>>>>>
>>>>> More fiddling to come.
>>>>>
>>>>> Bill
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> ________________________________________
>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
>>>>> Sent: Monday, March 05, 2012 3:26 AM
>>>>>
>>>>> bill
>>>>>
>>>>> thanks for the catch. I updated the document.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Gofer new
>>>>>      url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec';
>>>>>      package: 'ConfigurationOfSpec';
>>>>>      load
>>>>>
>>>>> ConfigurationOfSpec project load: #stable
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Stef
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 1:24 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Ben,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Great, but I'm still getting nipped by a DNU of #addGroupForPackage:.  I found that no-oped in 1.4 so added it to 1.3 and was able to loadFull.  It looks like great work, but I can't get anything to run in 1.3 or 1.4.  Any ideas?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Bill
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Benjamin [[hidden email]]
>>>>>> Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:53 PM
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Everything has been moved in ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec :)
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Ben
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:47 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Ben,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Ok, but I don't see it in either dirty experiments or the mc repository.  Am I missing a ConfigurationOfSpec?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Bill
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Benjamin [[hidden email]]
>>>>>>> Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:38 PM
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I am kind of a middle of something right now, so my advice is really to use the configuration (moreover I have added a lot of packages)
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Keep me in touch,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Ben
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:34 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Stef,
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I skimmed the documentation and attempted to load Spec-BenjaminVanRyseghem.34.mcz into 1.3, but got an error and backed off.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Any ideas?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Bill
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
>>>>>>>> Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:56 AM
>>>>>>>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> if you want to have a look at what we are doing with benjamin you can have a look at
>>>>>>>> Spec
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Yesterday benjamin added inputField support and rewrote the changeSorter.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Stef
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On Feb 5, 2012, at 3:28 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> More:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> proportional layouts need to let each view have a proportion (zero makes it fixed size) and splitters should be just another view that is added to a composite, following the horizontal/vertical nature of the layout manager.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
>>>>>>>>> Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:25 PM
>>>>>>>>> To: [hidden email]
>>>>>>>>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> I'm still a little overwhelmed, but I see attention to layout; this has been a BIG stumbling block for me in my efforts to bring MVP to Pharo.  I recommend using nested composite view/presenter pairs for most layout.  First, it lends itself well to an eventual view editor, and second, can be surprisingly easy to code directly.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Each composite view has a layout manager.  Layouts include constrained table-like elements, but the real workhorses are proportional layouts, which can be set either horizontal or vertical.  By nesting them, very complicate behavior can be achieved.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> There, said "nesting," and that has been where I have fallen into trouble.  Pharo/morphic layout works great for children of the top level, but after that, I can't get reliable results.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Sleep calls...
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Bill
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
>>>>>>>>> Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 6:36 PM
>>>>>>>>> To: [hidden email]
>>>>>>>>> Subject: [Pharo-project] MVP
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Hello all,
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> I have been to busy to read today, but I like seeing any discussion of MVP.   I am **slowly** working on  a framework for it, but would  be glad to be beaten to it.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Default models are key; they must be replaceable, but (sub)triads should work "out of the box."  Models can include value holders, value adapters, converters, and contexts, depending on how they are wired.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> I have something of a start on the adapters and converters, which I can try to package and make available.  If nothing else, they will have value in seeding discussion if not be directly usable.   More to come.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Bill
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> --