Ma object serialization

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Chris. Is it possible to use the Ma object serialization outside Magma? I mean, I just need an object serializer (not magma). Can I use it? how ? do you have examples? which packages should I load?

Do you know the performance in compare to SmartRefStream for example ?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Mariano

Re: Ma object serialization

Chris Muller-3
Sorry for the late reply, I have been smothered by my paying work the
last few days..

Yes, "Ma object serialization" is a serialization framework developed
and used independently of Magma.  It is and can be used by other
frameworks such as Maui and Ma client server without Magma present.
However, I have not updated the stand-alone configuration for Ma
object serialization in a while, I plan to do that for all "Ma"
packages soonish.

The main point of Ma object serialization is that it provides a
logical, rather than physical, serialization of any object graph.
While this provides better safety and portability than SmartRefStream,
the other benefit is the ability to traverse and visit each individual
first-class "Buffer" object, an interrogate it as necessary.
Obviously, this plays directly into the needs of Magma

The serialized representation of an object takes the form of an
instance of "MaSerializedGraphBuffer".  This

Regarding performance:  Since Ma object serialization serializes
fist-class logical buffers, and SmartRefStream is a physical
serialization, SmartRefStream *should* be a lot faster.  However, due
to the poor performance of IdentityCollections, and Ma's use of Igors
improved Identity-based collections, the Ma serialization can actually
be a lot faster for large objects.

 - Chris