[Mac OS 9] Some deployment questions...

Stew MacLean

Hi,

I’m packaging on Windows XP and renaming the object engine from visual.bin to myApp.bin.

However, when I unzip on the target machine, the object engine appears as visual. It also has the VW icon.

Can someone please tell me how do I go about tailoring these to my app?

Also, is it possible to get a double click start up? Currently, I have to double click the engine, and then select the image to start.

I also need to invoke the default email program. How do I go about using [hidden email] On the Mac OS 9?

Thanks,

Stewart

Re: [Mac OS 9] Some deployment questions...

Roland Wagener
Hi Stewart

please look into the file <visualworks>/packaging/mac/MacPackaging.txt.
This explains your questions regarding the application being
double-clickable, it combines a runtime image with a VM. BUT you can
perform this combination task only on a Mac running MacOS9, and having
MPW installed!

However, opening a mailto-URL has been done, but I forgot how. Related
information may be found in the MacExtra parcel, the extra calls to
launch an app or a document on a MacOS9-machine are explained there.

Good luck

Roland
--
Roland Wagener * Senior Consultant * [hidden email]
Tel: x49-231-9 75 99-26   Fax: x49-231-9 75 99-20

Stewart MacLean schrieb:

> Hi,
>

> I’m packaging on Windows XP and renaming the object engine from
> visual.bin to myApp.bin.
>

> However, when I unzip on the target machine, the object engine appears
> as visual. It also has the VW icon.
>

> Can someone please tell me how do I go about tailoring these to my app?
>

> Also, is it possible to get a double click start up? Currently, I have
> to double click the engine, and then select the image to start.
>

> I also need to invoke the default email program. How do I go about using
> mailto:... <mailto:...> On the Mac OS 9?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Stewart

RE: [Mac OS 9] Some deployment questions...

Stew MacLean
Hi Roland,

Thanks for your pointers. Sorry for the delay in replying, as I've been
putting them into practice. I now know why you wished me luck!

The good news is that I've managed to get the app running (after sorting
out a few legacy bugs/os quirks with Filenames - if anyone is
interested, I can post on those).

I've also managed to achieve a double clickable (by setting the file
type on the image on the first start up, to that of the engine).

The bad news is that, after burning the candle that I haven't been able
to get the mailto: nor the browser to open from within my app. It
appears to have made the call, but nothing happens. (even when I have
them open, ready for the events).I've managed to launch applications,
but I can't use this as the paths need to be hardwired, and this won't
be consistent for all users.

Anyway, it's all pretty academic, as this is a legacy OS. Having said
that I'll be able to get my only potential user up and running, and I've
learnt a lot about Apple Events etc, which is useful in itself.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Stewart