Mac OS X test

12

Mac OS X test

HilaireFernandes
Hi,

I am requesting good will to test a Mac OSX bundle for DrGeo.

It is here[1], it is not signed, so you will have OS X warning,  and
likely should be dropped on the Applications folder.

Thanks

Hilaire

[1] https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ywck26jvfv99pi/DrGeo-mac-19.03a.zip?dl=0

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Mac OS X test [ smaller image ]

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
The application itself remains 'broken', but if I download a 32-bit Pharo 7 VM, I can open the image inside it and open a sketch:

Note that on macOS and Linux, 64 bit is the default and 32 bit is the exception that will be harder to get running.

On 24 Feb 2019, at 12:29, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I am requesting good will to test a Mac OSX bundle for DrGeo.

It is here[1], it is not signed, so you will have OS X warning,  and
likely should be dropped on the Applications folder.

Thanks

Hilaire

[1] https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ywck26jvfv99pi/DrGeo-mac-19.03a.zip?dl=0

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Mac OS X test [ smaller image ]

HilaireFernandes
Is there a way to know why it is broken, for example running it from the
CLI?

Can you give me the URL of the downloaded VM?

Thanks

Hilaire

Le 24/02/2019 à 13:26, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :
> The application itself remains 'broken', but if I download a 32-bit
> Pharo 7 VM, I can open the image inside it and open a sketch:

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Mac OS X test [ smaller image ]

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 24 Feb 2019, at 13:55, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there a way to know why it is broken, for example running it from the
> CLI?
>
> Can you give me the URL of the downloaded VM?

curl get.pharo.org/vm70 | bash

> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 24/02/2019 à 13:26, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :
>> The application itself remains 'broken', but if I download a 32-bit
>> Pharo 7 VM, I can open the image inside it and open a sketch:
>>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: Mac OS X test [ smaller image ]

HilaireFernandes
Sadly, this is of little use as it will fetch a linux vm.

Can you copy it somewhere so I can fetch the archive?

The Linux VM at the pharo.org/download was not functionning, so may be
the same with mac vm.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Mac OS X test [ smaller image ]

HilaireFernandes
I know. Last summer I give a try to the 64bits version, but there was a
show stopper issue, the PNG image decoder on 64bits architecture.

Hilaire

Le 24/02/2019 à 13:26, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :
> Note that on macOS and Linux, 64 bit is the default and 32 bit is the
> exception that will be harder to get running.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Mac OS X test [ smaller image ]

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Yes, it depends on the platform on which you execute that expression.

It resolved to

http://files.pharo.org/get-files/70/pharo-mac-stable.zip

> On 24 Feb 2019, at 20:26, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I know. Last summer I give a try to the 64bits version, but there was a
> show stopper issue, the PNG image decoder on 64bits architecture.
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 24/02/2019 à 13:26, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :
>> Note that on macOS and Linux, 64 bit is the default and 32 bit is the
>> exception that will be harder to get running.
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: Mac OS X test [ smaller image ]

HilaireFernandes
Thanks Sven,

It looks like the same VM I used with the previous bundle. md5sum on the
Pharo executable produced the same check sum.

Still I packaged one with this bundle, this time I preserved the plugin
lib symlink in the zip archive, if you want to give a try.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/me1z6prfln1pbe8/DrGeo-mac-19.03a.zip?dl=0

Le 24/02/2019 à 20:32, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :
> Yes, it depends on the platform on which you execute that expression.
>
> It resolved to
>
> http://files.pharo.org/get-files/70/pharo-mac-stable.zip

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Mac OS X test [ smaller image ]

HilaireFernandes
I think I am running out of option.

Since about 10 years, it is the first time I am stuck with Pharo to
deliver an end user application on Mac.

Any idea?

Can some try on a mac to run as this for any meaningful feedback?

cd ./DrGeo.app

./Contents/MacOS/Pharo ./Contents/Resources/drgeo.image

Thanks

Hilaire

Le 24/02/2019 à 20:55, Hilaire a écrit :
> Thanks Sven,
>
> It looks like the same VM I used with the previous bundle. md5sum on the
> Pharo executable produced the same check sum.
>
> Still I packaged one with this bundle, this time I preserved the plugin
> lib symlink in the zip archive, if you want to give a try.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/me1z6prfln1pbe8/DrGeo-mac-19.03a.zip?dl=0

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Mac OS X test [ smaller image ]

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 25 Feb 2019, at 21:41, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think I am running out of option.
>
> Since about 10 years, it is the first time I am stuck with Pharo to
> deliver an end user application on Mac.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Can some try on a mac to run as this for any meaningful feedback?
>
> cd ./DrGeo.app
>
> ./Contents/MacOS/Pharo ./Contents/Resources/drgeo.image

prometheus:DrGeo.app sven$ ./Contents/vm/Pharo ./Contents/Resources/drgeo.image
2019-02-25 21:49:49.816 Pharo[68128:5223153] No Info.plist file in application bundle or no NSPrincipalClass in the Info.plist file, exiting

This is not my area of expertise, but you are trying to do this without having a Mac and/or basic Mac developer experience ?

Those .app bundles are really harder than they look. This is very much related to how macOS works (including virus and malware protection).

Can't you look at the PharoLauncher for how this should be done ? Maybe the developers working on PharoLauncher can help ?

> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 24/02/2019 à 20:55, Hilaire a écrit :
>> Thanks Sven,
>>
>> It looks like the same VM I used with the previous bundle. md5sum on the
>> Pharo executable produced the same check sum.
>>
>> Still I packaged one with this bundle, this time I preserved the plugin
>> lib symlink in the zip archive, if you want to give a try.
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/me1z6prfln1pbe8/DrGeo-mac-19.03a.zip?dl=0
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: Mac OS X test [ smaller image ]

demarey
Hi Hilaire,

> Le 25 févr. 2019 à 21:55, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>

>> On 25 Feb 2019, at 21:41, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think I am running out of option.
>>
>> Since about 10 years, it is the first time I am stuck with Pharo to
>> deliver an end user application on Mac.
>>
>> Any idea?
>>
>> Can some try on a mac to run as this for any meaningful feedback?
>>
>> cd ./DrGeo.app
>>
>> ./Contents/MacOS/Pharo ./Contents/Resources/drgeo.image
>
> prometheus:DrGeo.app sven$ ./Contents/vm/Pharo ./Contents/Resources/drgeo.image
> 2019-02-25 21:49:49.816 Pharo[68128:5223153] No Info.plist file in application bundle or no NSPrincipalClass in the Info.plist file, exiting
>
> This is not my area of expertise, but you are trying to do this without having a Mac and/or basic Mac developer experience ?
>
> Those .app bundles are really harder than they look. This is very much related to how macOS works (including virus and malware protection).
>
> Can't you look at the PharoLauncher for how this should be done ? Maybe the developers working on PharoLauncher can help ?

Pharo Launcher mac packaging is available here: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/tree/development/mac
You can skip the signing part if not needed.
We reuse the app built for opensmalltalk vm but I fear it is a bit outdated. I tried to update the nib file but this format is not used anymore. It is now replaced by xib file (and I do not know much on OS X UI dev). If you do not need to customize it  too much, it should be ok.

HTP,
Christophe

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3726400/what-is-the-difference-between-nib-and-xib-interface-builder-file-formats

Christophe, I am going to send you a private email about this.

Le 25/02/2019 à 21:55, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :
> prometheus:DrGeo.app sven$ ./Contents/vm/Pharo ../Contents/Resources/drgeo.image
> 2019-02-25 21:49:49.816 Pharo[68128:5223153] No Info.plist file in application bundle or no NSPrincipalClass in the Info.plist file, exiting

Both Info.plist and NSPrincipalClass are present.

Are you sure about the path to the drgeo.image, the '../' should be './' ?

> This is not my area of expertise, but you are trying to do this without having a Mac and/or basic Mac developer experience ?

Indeed, no Mac no Mac devel experience. This was has this since many year.

In my school our 24 seats computer room is mac OS, so I kind have no
choice to get it functioning on mac

> Those .app bundles are really harder than they look. This is very much related to how macOS works (including virus and malware protection).
Yes, I have no idea. The last time I worked with bundled application was
with RiscOS, it was transparent.

> Can't you look at the PharoLauncher for how this should be done ? Maybe the developers working on PharoLauncher can help ?

Yes good idea, I extracted the dmg archive on linux, its Info.plist is
minimal. WIll take a look.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Mac OS X test [ smaller image ]

HilaireFernandes
Thanks,

Not sure about what is the nib and xib you are mentioning. Will check on
that later.

I noted the Info.plist is a lot shorter in PharoLauncher compared to the
Mac OSX VM zip archive one, though.

Any reason?

Le 26/02/2019 à 09:11, Christophe Demarey a écrit :
> Pharo Launcher mac packaging is available here: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/tree/development/mac
> You can skip the signing part if not needed.
> We reuse the app built for opensmalltalk vm but I fear it is a bit outdated. I tried to update the nib file but this format is not used anymore. It is now replaced by xib file (and I do not know much on OS X UI dev). If you do not need to customize it  too much, it should be ok.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Mac OS X test [ smaller image ]

demarey

> Le 26 févr. 2019 à 20:39, Hilaire <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Thanks,
>
> Not sure about what is the nib and xib you are mentioning. Will check on
> that later.

Basically, it is where you design the UI part of the app. In our case, it is just the menu of the main app.

> I noted the Info.plist is a lot shorter in PharoLauncher compared to the
> Mac OSX VM zip archive one, though.
>
> Any reason?

I removed useless entries like associations files type / icons

Also, what I pointed is to build a dmg used to deliver the app.
Building of the application is done through a shell script: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-build-scripts/blob/master/build-platform.sh

you could use it to package your image / vm / ressources in an app bundle.

Re: Mac OS X test [ smaller image ]

HilaireFernandes
Hi,

I have a build script too to build the drgeo bundle from scratch [1], I
will take a look yours to add up.

In the mean time I built a new mac os bundle with your info.plist.

I tested it on a mac, but without privilege to move it to the
Applications location. After downloading it to the Desktop folder, I can
experiment:

 1. Double click on the app does not work
 2. From a shell, "Desktop/DrGeo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo" starts DrGeo
    fine, without error, locale is correctly detected
 3. Double click again on the app starts it this time, but I got a funny
    error message: "error with stdout does not exist, force recursive
    file creation, filename "stdout"

Can someone with privilege to the Application location, test this new
DrGeo bundle[2]? THANKS !

I own you free meals for the help.

[1]
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/view/head:/build/makeDrGeo.sh

[2] https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbey77opzpw143a/DrGeo-mac-19.03a.zip?dl=0

Le 26/02/2019 à 21:09, Christophe Demarey a écrit :

> Basically, it is where you design the UI part of the app. In our case, it is just the menu of the main app.
>
>> I noted the Info.plist is a lot shorter in PharoLauncher compared to the
>> Mac OSX VM zip archive one, though.
>>
>> Any reason?
> I removed useless entries like associations files type / icons
>
> Also, what I pointed is to build a dmg used to deliver the app.
> Building of the application is done through a shell script: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-build-scripts/blob/master/build-platform.sh
>
> you could use it to package your image / vm / ressources in an app bundle.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Mac OS X test [ smaller image ]

cedreek
I will try to help you there Hilaire too.

Le 27 févr. 2019 à 17:57, Hilaire <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi,

I have a build script too to build the drgeo bundle from scratch [1], I
will take a look yours to add up.

In the mean time I built a new mac os bundle with your info.plist.

I tested it on a mac, but without privilege to move it to the
Applications location. After downloading it to the Desktop folder, I can
experiment:

1. Double click on the app does not work

Same for me.

2. From a shell, "Desktop/DrGeo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo" starts DrGeo
   fine, without error, locale is correctly detected

Yes it works but I have this message in the terminal:

3. Double click again on the app starts it this time, but I got a funny
   error message: "error with stdout does not exist, force recursive
   file creation, filename « stdout"

No it doesn’t for me.

I have a message saying that the archive is corrupted…

Can someone with privilege to the Application location, test this new
DrGeo bundle[2]? THANKS !

I own you free meals for the help.

[1]
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/view/head:/build/makeDrGeo.sh

[2] https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbey77opzpw143a/DrGeo-mac-19.03a.zip?dl=0

I will try to build it from your script.

Cheers,

Cédrick

Le 26/02/2019 à 21:09, Christophe Demarey a écrit :
Basically, it is where you design the UI part of the app. In our case, it is just the menu of the main app.

I noted the Info.plist is a lot shorter in PharoLauncher compared to the
Mac OSX VM zip archive one, though.

Any reason?
I removed useless entries like associations files type / icons

Also, what I pointed is to build a dmg used to deliver the app.
Building of the application is done through a shell script: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-build-scripts/blob/master/build-platform.sh

you could use it to package your image / vm / ressources in an app bundle.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Mac OS X test [ smaller image ]

HilaireFernandes
Thanks for the feedback Cedrick. We have all different experiences, I
guess depending on the OS X version.

Did you try to drag the DrGeo.app in the Application location and start
it from there?

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Mac OS X test [ smaller image ]

demarey
 I also did a quick test:

Le 28 févr. 2019 à 13:08, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]> a écrit :

I will try to help you there Hilaire too.

Le 27 févr. 2019 à 17:57, Hilaire <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi,

I have a build script too to build the drgeo bundle from scratch [1], I
will take a look yours to add up.

In the mean time I built a new mac os bundle with your info.plist.

I tested it on a mac, but without privilege to move it to the
Applications location. After downloading it to the Desktop folder, I can
experiment:

1. Double click on the app does not work

Same for me.

2. From a shell, "Desktop/DrGeo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo" starts DrGeo
   fine, without error, locale is correctly detected

Yes it works but I have this message in the terminal:

<PastedGraphic-5.png>

+1

3. Double click again on the app starts it this time, but I got a funny
   error message: "error with stdout does not exist, force recursive
   file creation, filename « stdout"

No it doesn’t for me.

I have a message saying that the archive is corrupted…

<PastedGraphic-6.png>

+ 1

Re: Mac OS X test [ smaller image ]

HilaireFernandes
Hi,

Out of curiosity, among your test, did you try to copy the app in the
Application location?

Thanks

Hilaire

--