Mac VM 5.3b1 ships

johnmci
I've push the latest cocoa based 32/64bit macintel/powerpc VM   5.3b1

Various users pointed out that option-arrow key did not work, plus there was a crash due to a draw locking issue.

I spent a few hours looking into the complexity of keyboard management in Cocoa and left-overs from NeXTStep.
I likely still have more hours of testing for extended keyboards but it should now work for the enter/return, esc, delete, page up/down, and arrows keys with
the various combinations of shift, function, control, option, and apple.

The crash was related to a race condition in the os-x drawing logic. I refactored it to a more simplistic code base shared between the iPhone and OSX.
As a bonus the non-complex code is actually faster than the Carbon Drawing logic found in the 3.x/4.x series of VMs, and much faster than the previous complex/broken logic.

Look for the  folder experimental/64bits in the regular places found via http://smalltalkconsulting.com/squeak.html
or
ftp://ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com/experimental/64bit/32bitImage*64bitVM/
or
http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/FileSharing.html  click to experimental,  64bits , 32bitImage*64bitVM

file name:
Squeak 64-32 5.3b1.app.zip

This *beta* VM runs in 32 or 64 bit mode on macIntel, and 32bit mode on powerpc to support Squeak 32bit images.
Includes the freetype plugin, and requires  os-x 10.5 or higher.

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: [squeak-dev] Mac VM 5.3b1 ships

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks a lot.

Stef