Mac VM 5.4b1 ships

johnmci
I've push the latest cocoa based 32/64bit  & 64/64bit macintel/powerpc VM   5.4b1

This includes the logic for the microsecond clock, to call the clock the change set is attached.

I've also built the 64/64bit VM for Intel that works with 64bit squeak images.

Look for the  folder experimental/64bits in the regular places found via http://smalltalkconsulting.com/squeak.html
or
ftp://ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com/experimental/64bit/
or
http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/FileSharing.html  click to experimental,  64bits

In a sub folder the file names are:
Squeak 64-32 5.4b1.app.zip
or
Squeak 64-64 5.4b1.app.zip

This *beta* VM runs in 32 or 64 bit mode on macIntel, and 32bit mode on powerpc to support Squeak 32bit images.
Includes the freetype plugin, and requires  os-x 10.5 or higher.

The *beta* 64/64 VM runs only in 64 bit mode on macIntel to support Squeak 64bit images. It does not include FreeType at this time,
and it requires os-x 10.5 or higher.

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

JMMMillisecondClock.1.cs (1019 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [Pharo-project] Mac VM 5.4b1 ships

Marcus Denker-4
Hi John,

Somehow drag-and-drop from the Finder into Pharo is not working for me... If I drag a changeset on the Pharo desktop, in the old vm it would
be filed in. Now, it can not be dragged to the Pharo window anymore.

Strange... it worked in the 4er series ok, never in the new 5er.

        Marcus

On Jan 21, 2010, at 9:26 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> I've push the latest cocoa based 32/64bit  & 64/64bit macintel/powerpc VM   5.4b1
>
> This includes the logic for the microsecond clock, to call the clock the change set is attached.
>
> I've also built the 64/64bit VM for Intel that works with 64bit squeak images.
>
> Look for the  folder experimental/64bits in the regular places found via http://smalltalkconsulting.com/squeak.html
> or
> ftp://ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com/experimental/64bit/
> or
> http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/FileSharing.html  click to experimental,  64bits
>
> In a sub folder the file names are:
> Squeak 64-32 5.4b1.app.zip
> or
> Squeak 64-64 5.4b1.app.zip
>
> This *beta* VM runs in 32 or 64 bit mode on macIntel, and 32bit mode on powerpc to support Squeak 32bit images.
> Includes the freetype plugin, and requires  os-x 10.5 or higher.
>
> The *beta* 64/64 VM runs only in 64 bit mode on macIntel to support Squeak 64bit images. It does not include FreeType at this time,
> and it requires os-x 10.5 or higher.

Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: [Pharo-project] Mac VM 5.4b1 ships

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Den 25.01.2010 15:34, skrev Marcus Denker:
> Hi John,
>
> Somehow drag-and-drop from the Finder into Pharo is not working for me... If I drag a changeset on the Pharo desktop, in the old vm it would
> be filed in. Now, it can not be dragged to the Pharo window anymore.
>
> Strange... it worked in the 4er series ok, never in the new 5er.
>
> Marcus

Considering any file dropped on the image is interpreted as if in
MacRoman encoding, I'd consider that a good thing (tm) ;)
(Unless, of course, you're quaint enough to never use anything of
character value > 127)

Cheers,
Henry

On 2010-01-25, at 7:06 AM, Henrik Johansen wrote:

> Den 25.01.2010 15:34, skrev Marcus Denker:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Somehow drag-and-drop from the Finder into Pharo is not working for me... If I drag a changeset on the Pharo desktop, in the old vm it would
>> be filed in. Now, it can not be dragged to the Pharo window anymore.
>>
>> Strange... it worked in the 4er series ok, never in the new 5er.
>>
>> Marcus
>>
> Considering any file dropped on the image is interpreted as if in
> MacRoman encoding, I'd consider that a good thing (tm) ;)
> (Unless, of course, you're quaint enough to never use anything of
> character value > 127)
>
> Cheers,
> Henry

Ok, is that the file name that interpreted as mac roman? Or the contents of the text file?
Both are bugs, please make an pharo bug entry.

Den 25.01.2010 19:03, skrev John M McIntosh:

> On 2010-01-25, at 7:06 AM, Henrik Johansen wrote:
>

>> Den 25.01.2010 15:34, skrev Marcus Denker:
>>
>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>> Somehow drag-and-drop from the Finder into Pharo is not working for me... If I drag a changeset on the Pharo desktop, in the old vm it would
>>> be filed in. Now, it can not be dragged to the Pharo window anymore.
>>>
>>> Strange... it worked in the 4er series ok, never in the new 5er.
>>>
>>> Marcus
>>>

>> Considering any file dropped on the image is interpreted as if in
>> MacRoman encoding, I'd consider that a good thing (tm) ;)
>> (Unless, of course, you're quaint enough to never use anything of
>> character value > 127)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Henry
>>
> Ok, is that the file name that interpreted as mac roman? Or the contents of the text file?
> Both are bugs, please make an pharo bug entry.

Same thing happens for any file dropped on the image (when dropping works).
The offending method is MultiByteBinaryOrTextStream>>setConverterForCode.

Not sure if Squeak used to save all files MacRoman encoded, but now they
definately do not. (As evidenced by the example .mcz attached to the issue)

Cheers,
Henry

Re: [Pharo-project] Mac VM 5.4b1 ships

johnmci
Well it's not a VM issue. The VM has no idea what the file contains, the Smalltalk code has to figure those details.

On 2010-01-25, at 10:14 AM, Henrik Johansen wrote:

>> Ok, is that the file name that interpreted as mac roman? Or the contents of the text file?
>> Both are bugs, please make an pharo bug entry.
>
> Same thing happens for any file dropped on the image (when dropping works).
> The offending method is MultiByteBinaryOrTextStream>>setConverterForCode.
>
> Not sure if Squeak used to save all files MacRoman encoded, but now they
> definately do not. (As evidenced by the example .mcz attached to the issue)
>
> Cheers,
> Henry

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: [Pharo-project] Mac VM 5.4b1 ships

Marcus Denker-4
Hi,

For me it would be good enough as a first step if it would just file on the .cs (even tough not correctly encoded)...

        Marcus

Den 25.01.2010 19:22, skrev John M McIntosh:
> Well it's not a VM issue. The VM has no idea what the file contains, the Smalltalk code has to figure those details.

I know.
Which is why I tried to point out DragPlugin not working isn't that big
a loss.
Using it currently will likely lead to subtle errors untill the image
code is fixed.
(Like invalid utf8-characters in the changes, etc.)

Cheers,
Henry.

Re: [Pharo-project] Mac VM 5.4b1 ships

johnmci
Here it works, can you give the steps & and example document that doesn't work ?

On Jan 25, 2010, at 7:46 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Here it works, can you give the steps & and example document that doesn't work ?

Just normal use... either Pharo 1.0rc2 or latest image, starting by drad-n-drop or clicking on
the image.
Drag-n-drop from the finder does not work. And somehow the mouse coursor does
not change when it should (it seems to use a mac curser somehow).

I don't do anything other than before.

        Marcus

> On 2010-01-25, at 10:25 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> For me it would be good enough as a first step if it would just file on the .cs (even tough not correctly encoded)...
>>
>> Marcus

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: [Pharo-project] Mac VM 5.4b1 ships

johnmci
Ok, well it seems the probles is that if you double-click the VM, then open the image, then dragdrop works.
If you drag the image to the VM in the dock, then dragdrop does not work.

Obviously a bug somewhere so a 5.4b3 will be pending if I can figure out where the issue is.