Mac VM 5.7b3 (21.0) Beeper primitiveBeep does not beep anymore

Mac VM 5.7b3 (21.0) Beeper primitiveBeep does not beep anymore

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

Could we have the primitiveBeep beeping again?
What was the reason to disable it?

Re: Mac VM 5.7b3 (21.0) Beeper primitiveBeep does not beep anymore

Mariano Martinez Peck
I works here in

VM: Mac OS - intel - 1066 - Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.46] Croquet Cog 3.0.0
Image: Pharo1.2beta [Latest update: #12281]

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Could we have the primitiveBeep beeping again?
What was the reason to disable it?

Re: Mac VM 5.7b3 (21.0) Beeper primitiveBeep does not beep anymore

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On Mar 1, 2011, at 4:49 39PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

Hi

Could we have the primitiveBeep beeping again?
What was the reason to disable it?

Stef

Prolly a missing prim in vm (surely the case if you do Beeper primitiveBeep and hear nothing), otherwise you have sound disabled.
Can check that using:
SoundService soundEnabled

Btw, you changed
DummySoundSystem class >> #initialize
SoundService register: self.

Why?

This kinda breaks playing anything but beeps with the DummySoundSystem, as all the play.... methods are instance-side, as well as beeps played with the BaseSoundSystem loaded, as:

Beeper >> #beep
SoundService default new beep

does not work anymore when the default is an instance as it used to be, and still is with BaseSoundSystem.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Mac VM 5.7b3 (21.0) Beeper primitiveBeep does not beep anymore

Igor Stasenko
On 1 March 2011 18:18, Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2011, at 4:49 39PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Could we have the primitiveBeep beeping again?
> What was the reason to disable it?
>
> Stef
>

> Prolly a missing prim in vm (surely the case if you do Beeper primitiveBeep
> and hear nothing), otherwise you have sound disabled.
> Can check that using:
> SoundService soundEnabled
> Btw, you changed
> DummySoundSystem class >> #initialize
> SoundService register: self.
> Why?
> This kinda breaks playing anything but beeps with the DummySoundSystem, as
> all the play.... methods are instance-side, as well as beeps played with the
> BaseSoundSystem loaded, as:
> Beeper >> #beep
> SoundService default new beep
> does not work anymore when the default is an instance as it used to be, and
> still is with BaseSoundSystem.
> Cheers,
> Henry

What i found is that  ioBeep() for Objective-C VM variant is currently empty

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Mac VM 5.7b3 (21.0) Beeper primitiveBeep does not beep anymore

EstebanLM
yes... I just checked.
I will collect all of this "absentees" to adding them as soon as possible. Please, keep reporting :)

best,
Esteban

El 01/03/2011, a las 2:34p.m., Igor Stasenko escribió:

> On 1 March 2011 18:18, Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 1, 2011, at 4:49 39PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Could we have the primitiveBeep beeping again?
>> What was the reason to disable it?
>>
>> Stef
>>

>> Prolly a missing prim in vm (surely the case if you do Beeper primitiveBeep
>> and hear nothing), otherwise you have sound disabled.
>> Can check that using:
>> SoundService soundEnabled
>> Btw, you changed
>> DummySoundSystem class >> #initialize
>> SoundService register: self.
>> Why?
>> This kinda breaks playing anything but beeps with the DummySoundSystem, as
>> all the play.... methods are instance-side, as well as beeps played with the
>> BaseSoundSystem loaded, as:
>> Beeper >> #beep
>> SoundService default new beep
>> does not work anymore when the default is an instance as it used to be, and
>> still is with BaseSoundSystem.
>> Cheers,
>> Henry
>>

> What i found is that  ioBeep() for Objective-C VM variant is currently empty
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Mac VM 5.7b3 (21.0) Beeper primitiveBeep does not beep anymore

see igor mail :)

ioBeep{
        }

does not beep :)

Den 1. mars 2011 kl. 20:05 skrev Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> see igor mail :)
>
> ioBeep{
>    }
>
> does not beep :)
>
> On Mar 1, 2011, at 6:18 PM, Henrik Johansen wrote:
>

>> Btw, you changed
>> DummySoundSystem class >> #initialize
>>    SoundService register: self.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> This kinda breaks playing anything but beeps with the DummySoundSystem, as all the play.... methods are instance-side, as well as beeps played with the BaseSoundSystem loaded, as:
>>
>> Beeper >> #beep
>> SoundService default new beep
>>
>> does not work anymore when the default is an instance as it used to be, and still is with BaseSoundSystem.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Henry

Got an answer for this one too? ;)
Atm I'm of the mind we should revert 1.2/1.3 to register instance again...

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Mac VM 5.7b3 (21.0) Beeper primitiveBeep does not beep anymore

Stéphane Ducasse
do not lose time on that we should fix everything.
This architecture is dull.
There is something wrong. And registeredClasses should not hold objects but classes.

Stef