Mac carbon VM goes to 4.2.4beta1U

johnmci
In order to wrap up some VM fixes that should be pushed into the Squeak 4.x offering I've compiled up a 4.2.4beta1U VM
This will be the last 4.x series of macintosh VMs as the 5.x series gains support.

Someone should run the Sunit and smoke test to ensure the VM is sane.

Follow the macintosh link from http://www.squeakvm.org/index.html

4.2.4b1   We update to VMMaker 168

        Change #versionString from 3.x.x to 4.0.2.
        Fix loading of image segments that are from older, but compatible image versions.
        fix bounds bug in primitiveSoundRecordSamples.
        Add primitiveUtcWithOffset.
        Provide an explicit imageFormatBackwardCompatibilityVersion
        Merge some/*lots* of 64bit fixes

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Mac carbon VM goes to 4.2.4beta1U

Andreas.Raab
Thanks a lot for the update, John!

Can I ask some Mac folks to try the VM with rc2 and report back on the
status of the following tests:
* AllocationTests
* BitBltTests
* FileStreamTests
With the new VM these should all pass (make sure you remove the
#expectedFailures before trying).

Thanks!
   - Andreas

On 4/5/2010 8:43 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> In order to wrap up some VM fixes that should be pushed into the Squeak 4.x offering I've compiled up a 4.2.4beta1U VM
> This will be the last 4.x series of macintosh VMs as the 5.x series gains support.
>
> Someone should run the Sunit and smoke test to ensure the VM is sane.
>
> Follow the macintosh link from http://www.squeakvm.org/index.html
>
> 4.2.4b1   We update to VMMaker 168
>
> Change #versionString from 3.x.x to 4.0.2.
> Fix loading of image segments that are from older, but compatible image versions.
> fix bounds bug in primitiveSoundRecordSamples.
> Add primitiveUtcWithOffset.
> Provide an explicit imageFormatBackwardCompatibilityVersion
> Merge some/*lots* of 64bit fixes

> John M. McIntosh<[hidden email]>    Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Mac carbon VM goes to 4.2.4beta1U

Chris Cunnington
I removed with great violence and extreme prejudice the #expectedFailures from the AllocationTest and BitBltTest classes. And these are the results. All passed.

Squeak4.1-9885-beta.image/Squeak 4.2.4beta1U

AllocationTest
165 run, 165 passes
BitBltTest
16 run, 16 passes
FileStreamTest
10 run, 10 passes

I do get an UndefinedObject>>editor sometimes when the testing is done and I'm trying to save and quit. Then the image needs some of the old ultraviolence that Terminal, top, and kill provide.

UndefinedObject>>editor
PluggableTextMorph>>handleEdit:
PluggableTextMorph>>update:

Chris

Re: Mac carbon VM goes to 4.2.4beta1U

Edgar De Cleene

On 4/6/10 12:43 AM, "John M McIntosh" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Fix loading of image segments that are from older, but compatible image
> versions.
I update my Squeak4.1-9883-beta.image to Squeak4.1-9902-beta.image, without
troubles.

Drag and drop of projects still do not work.

MessageNotUnderstood: MultiByteFileStream>>dirAndFileName
6 April 2010 9:24:07.172 am

VM: Mac OS - Smalltalk
Image: Squeak4.1beta [latest update: #9902]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir /Users/edgar/imagesZip/Squeak4.1-9850-beta
Trusted Dir /foobar/tooBar/forSqueak/bogus
Untrusted Dir /Users/edgar/Library/Preferences/Squeak/Internet/My Squeak

MultiByteFileStream(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #dirAndFileName
    Receiver: MultiByteFileStream:
'/Users/edgar/SqueakRepository/Squeaklets/fireworks.002.pr'
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        aMessage:     dirAndFileName
        exception:     MessageNotUnderstood:
MultiByteFileStream>>dirAndFileName
        resumeValue:     nil
    Receiver's instance variables:

[] in ProjectViewMorph class>>serviceOpenProjectFromFile
    Receiver: ProjectViewMorph
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        fileList:     MultiByteFileStream:
'/Users/edgar/SqueakRepository/Squeaklets/firewo...etc...
    Receiver's instance variables:
        superclass:     ImageMorph
        methodDict:     a
MethodDictionary(#abandon->(ProjectViewMorph>>#abandon "a Compile...etc...
        format:     148
        instanceVariables:     #('project' 'lastProjectThumbnail')
        organization:     ('accessing' borderWidthForRounding project
thumbnail)
('as yet u...etc...
        subclasses:     nil
        name:     #ProjectViewMorph
        classPool:     nil
        sharedPools:     nil
        environment:     Smalltalk globals "a SystemDictionary with lots of
globals"
        category:     #'Morphic-Windows'

About old compatible image versions, can't load any of my old projects for
different reasons.

IMHO some warning was needed in the Welcome Window of 4.0 telling people do
not do projects by now and wait to 4.1.
In the long run, we have how convert old projects for 4.1 could load them.

Edgar

Re: Mac carbon VM goes to 4.2.4beta1U

Simon Michael
On 4/5/10 8:49 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Can I ask some Mac folks to try the VM with rc2 and report back on the
> status of the following tests:

I tested with a 9850 image updated to 9907, with the 4.2.4b1U vm on OSX Leopard.
I didn't do anything special about #expectedFailures.

> * AllocationTests

AllocationTest - green

> * BitBltTests

BitBltClipBugs, BitBltTest - green

> * FileStreamTests

FileStreamTest - green

You all are doing an awesome job.

Re: Mac carbon VM goes to 4.2.4beta1U

Jan van de Sandt
Hello John,

Is it possible to update the CurlPlugin that is shipped with the Squeak Mac VM? It is great that the plugin is part of the standard VM. But the version that is shipped is quite old. Danil Osipchuk created a new version that contains valuable new functionality. For example the possibility to add custom headers to http requests. I would really like to use this feauture for Cloudfork.

I think CurlPlugin-dao.23.mcz is the latest stable version of the plugin. (http://www.squeaksource.com/CurlPlugin.html)

Regards,
Jan.