Mac file names

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hello all,

I just realized that I am having all of the fun with approximately 3,000 infrared images.  My boss should be able to share in the joy of eyeballing and annotating each and every one of these things ;)  It's fairly safe: he's a good guy, and a good enough scientist to know that what I am doing really has to be repeated.  Options include: (1) fix all of the file name manipulation to be Windows-friendly[*]; (2) create a Linux box he can use for the task; (3) let him run it on his mac at home.

Will my Linux file names make sense to his mac?  I never paid any attention to Microsoft's functions to get the Windows drive, and just hard-coded c: all over creation.  On Linux, I have been coding a lot of references to things like /home/wks/2008/IR-data.  Can his mac understand that?  What would be required?  Create an account for "me" to he would have the password (his computer, not my data, so that should be fine) and have him log in that way to run it?

Bill

[*] let's pass on that one

Re: Mac file names

jfabry
Hi Bill,

this plan should work. MacOS is a NetBSD in elegant disguise, so linux file names are OK. There is no /home though, it's called /Users so you will have to make a symlink. And while you are at it you can make a /Users/wks that points to your boss' home directory. No need to make a new user :-)

HTH,

--
Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry

Re: Mac file names

Randal L. Schwartz

Johan> this plan should work. MacOS is a NetBSD in elegant disguise,

For values of NetBSD ultimately approaching FreeBSD and correctness!

NetBSD fed OSX Server.  FreeBSD userland fed OSX client.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Mac file names

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Johan,

I think I understand.  If I play this right, I might even score a mac mini out of it :)  I'd shoot for laptop, but I'm really quite happy with my Toshiba: it's the one with a Vista sticker but makes African drum noises when it boots.  However, I will be honest enough to point out that there are macs available on campus where I could test it :(   Armed with shell script that I know works, I could set it up for him pretty quickly.  We also have an idle machine that is more or less begging to start running the Lynx.

Thanks!

On 12 Aug 2010, at 21:44, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Johan> this plan should work. MacOS is a NetBSD in elegant disguise,
>
> For values of NetBSD ultimately approaching FreeBSD and correctness!
>
> NetBSD fed OSX Server.  FreeBSD userland fed OSX client.

Ah I did not know that, thanks for pointing it out!