Mac like editing?

Max Leske
Hi everyone.

I have no idea what the status is on the editor in pharo and if there are any plans to do something to / with it. If there's some resource, could you point me to it?
In the meantime I thought I'd share my impressions with you; doesn't hurt at least.

Since I started developing in Pharo I've struggled with the editor, in particular with the fact that I need to use the mouse a lot to position the cursor which, as all of you know, makes development quite a bit slower.
Before I came to Pharo I used to develop in Eclipse and Eclipse supports all shortcuts used inside OS X (and if not you can change the shortcut settings). My favorite shortcuts:
  • cmd + -> : go to end of line
  • cmd + <- : go to beginning of line
  • alt + -> : go to end of the current word
  • alt + -> : go to beginning of current word
  • alt + arrow up : switch the line above with the current line (current line has line number -1, line above has line number +1)
  • alt + arrow down : switch the line below with the current line
  • cmd + l : delete line (I know this shortcut is used to cancel changes at the moment. Still, I haven't found a shortcut yet that deletes a single line)

I'd LOVE to see this in Pharo, or at least be able to configure the shortcuts myself. I think, being able to change the shortcuts is important anyway because each developer has an own style.
I'd try to come up with a solution myself but I just don't have the time at the moment.

Thanks for listening to my yapping :)

Max

Re: Mac like editing?

Gary Chambers-4
I believe some of us are working on soting out the mess...

Perhaps a thread on "standardised keyboard control" would be in order?

Regards, Gary

Re: Mac like editing?

What I want is a real way to define, plug a shortcut table.
Max did you check the new Editor class.

Stef

> Hi everyone.
>
> I have no idea what the status is on the editor in pharo and if there are any plans to do something to / with it. If there's some resource, could you point me to it?
> In the meantime I thought I'd share my impressions with you; doesn't hurt at least.
>
> Since I started developing in Pharo I've struggled with the editor, in particular with the fact that I need to use the mouse a lot to position the cursor which, as all of you know, makes development quite a bit slower.
> Before I came to Pharo I used to develop in Eclipse and Eclipse supports all shortcuts used inside OS X (and if not you can change the shortcut settings). My favorite shortcuts:
> • cmd + -> : go to end of line
> • cmd + <- : go to beginning of line
> • alt + -> : go to end of the current word
> • alt + -> : go to beginning of current word
> • alt + arrow up : switch the line above with the current line (current line has line number -1, line above has line number +1)
> • alt + arrow down : switch the line below with the current line
> • cmd + l : delete line (I know this shortcut is used to cancel changes at the moment. Still, I haven't found a shortcut yet that deletes a single line)
>
> I'd LOVE to see this in Pharo, or at least be able to configure the shortcuts myself. I think, being able to change the shortcuts is important anyway because each developer has an own style.
> I'd try to come up with a solution myself but I just don't have the time at the moment.
>
> Thanks for listening to my yapping :)
>
> Max

Re: Mac like editing?

Max Leske
No I haven't. I'll take a look at it later on.
Are you planning to replace Paragraph with Editor?

Max

On 22.07.2010, at 20:05, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> What I want is a real way to define, plug a shortcut table.
> Max did you check the new Editor class.
>
> Stef
>

>> Hi everyone.
>>
>> I have no idea what the status is on the editor in pharo and if there are any plans to do something to / with it. If there's some resource, could you point me to it?
>> In the meantime I thought I'd share my impressions with you; doesn't hurt at least.
>>
>> Since I started developing in Pharo I've struggled with the editor, in particular with the fact that I need to use the mouse a lot to position the cursor which, as all of you know, makes development quite a bit slower.
>> Before I came to Pharo I used to develop in Eclipse and Eclipse supports all shortcuts used inside OS X (and if not you can change the shortcut settings). My favorite shortcuts:
>> • cmd + -> : go to end of line
>> • cmd + <- : go to beginning of line
>> • alt + -> : go to end of the current word
>> • alt + -> : go to beginning of current word
>> • alt + arrow up : switch the line above with the current line (current line has line number -1, line above has line number +1)
>> • alt + arrow down : switch the line below with the current line
>> • cmd + l : delete line (I know this shortcut is used to cancel changes at the moment. Still, I haven't found a shortcut yet that deletes a single line)
>>
>> I'd LOVE to see this in Pharo, or at least be able to configure the shortcuts myself. I think, being able to change the shortcuts is important anyway because each developer has an own style.
>> I'd try to come up with a solution myself but I just don't have the time at the moment.
>>
>> Thanks for listening to my yapping :)
>>
>> Max

Re: Mac like editing?

Stéphane Ducasse
yes!

Stef

On Jul 22, 2010, at 8:10 PM, Max Leske wrote:

> No I haven't. I'll take a look at it later on.
> Are you planning to replace Paragraph with Editor?
>
> Max
>

> On 22.07.2010, at 20:05, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> What I want is a real way to define, plug a shortcut table.
>> Max did you check the new Editor class.
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> Hi everyone.
>>>
>>> I have no idea what the status is on the editor in pharo and if there are any plans to do something to / with it. If there's some resource, could you point me to it?
>>> In the meantime I thought I'd share my impressions with you; doesn't hurt at least.
>>>
>>> Since I started developing in Pharo I've struggled with the editor, in particular with the fact that I need to use the mouse a lot to position the cursor which, as all of you know, makes development quite a bit slower.
>>> Before I came to Pharo I used to develop in Eclipse and Eclipse supports all shortcuts used inside OS X (and if not you can change the shortcut settings). My favorite shortcuts:
>>> • cmd + -> : go to end of line
>>> • cmd + <- : go to beginning of line
>>> • alt + -> : go to end of the current word
>>> • alt + -> : go to beginning of current word
>>> • alt + arrow up : switch the line above with the current line (current line has line number -1, line above has line number +1)
>>> • alt + arrow down : switch the line below with the current line
>>> • cmd + l : delete line (I know this shortcut is used to cancel changes at the moment. Still, I haven't found a shortcut yet that deletes a single line)
>>>
>>> I'd LOVE to see this in Pharo, or at least be able to configure the shortcuts myself. I think, being able to change the shortcuts is important anyway because each developer has an own style.
>>> I'd try to come up with a solution myself but I just don't have the time at the moment.
>>>
>>> Thanks for listening to my yapping :)
>>>
>>> Max

Re: Mac like editing?

I guess that they did that in squeak can you check?

On Jul 22, 2010, at 8:10 PM, Max Leske wrote:

> No I haven't. I'll take a look at it later on.
> Are you planning to replace Paragraph with Editor?
>
> Max
>

> On 22.07.2010, at 20:05, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> What I want is a real way to define, plug a shortcut table.
>> Max did you check the new Editor class.
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> Hi everyone.
>>>
>>> I have no idea what the status is on the editor in pharo and if there are any plans to do something to / with it. If there's some resource, could you point me to it?
>>> In the meantime I thought I'd share my impressions with you; doesn't hurt at least.
>>>
>>> Since I started developing in Pharo I've struggled with the editor, in particular with the fact that I need to use the mouse a lot to position the cursor which, as all of you know, makes development quite a bit slower.
>>> Before I came to Pharo I used to develop in Eclipse and Eclipse supports all shortcuts used inside OS X (and if not you can change the shortcut settings). My favorite shortcuts:
>>> • cmd + -> : go to end of line
>>> • cmd + <- : go to beginning of line
>>> • alt + -> : go to end of the current word
>>> • alt + -> : go to beginning of current word
>>> • alt + arrow up : switch the line above with the current line (current line has line number -1, line above has line number +1)
>>> • alt + arrow down : switch the line below with the current line
>>> • cmd + l : delete line (I know this shortcut is used to cancel changes at the moment. Still, I haven't found a shortcut yet that deletes a single line)
>>>
>>> I'd LOVE to see this in Pharo, or at least be able to configure the shortcuts myself. I think, being able to change the shortcuts is important anyway because each developer has an own style.
>>> I'd try to come up with a solution myself but I just don't have the time at the moment.
>>>
>>> Thanks for listening to my yapping :)
>>>
>>> Max

Re: Mac like editing?

Max Leske
I will.

On 22.07.2010, at 20:14, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I guess that they did that in squeak can you check?
>
> On Jul 22, 2010, at 8:10 PM, Max Leske wrote:
>
>> No I haven't. I'll take a look at it later on.
>> Are you planning to replace Paragraph with Editor?
>>
>> Max
>>

>> On 22.07.2010, at 20:05, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> What I want is a real way to define, plug a shortcut table.
>>> Max did you check the new Editor class.
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: Mac like editing?

Max Leske
I checked Squeak 4.1 basic image (Damien's server didn't let me download the SqueakDev image). There are no preferences in the preferences browser for editing shortcuts. The only shortcut I could verify was cmd + -> and cmd + <- for skipping words (I have that in my list as alt + -> and alt + <-). There seem to be a couple of other nice shortcuts (e.g. advancing to the next argument when typing a multi argument message) but I's prefer the basic shortcuts would work...

There is an Editor class with two sub classes that has replaced a former implementation (apparently TextMorphEditor). I couldn't figure out where the shortcuts are actually defined though.

Max

On 22.07.2010, at 20:14, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I guess that they did that in squeak can you check?
>
> On Jul 22, 2010, at 8:10 PM, Max Leske wrote:
>
>> No I haven't. I'll take a look at it later on.
>> Are you planning to replace Paragraph with Editor?
>>
>> Max
>>

>> On 22.07.2010, at 20:05, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> What I want is a real way to define, plug a shortcut table.
>>> Max did you check the new Editor class.
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: Mac like editing?

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks max.
Yes they did not change the shortcuts but switch to use the new texteditor.
For the shortcut we should really spend time assessing
        keybinding or keymapper.

Stef

On Jul 22, 2010, at 8:59 PM, Max Leske wrote:

> I checked Squeak 4.1 basic image (Damien's server didn't let me download the SqueakDev image). There are no preferences in the preferences browser for editing shortcuts. The only shortcut I could verify was cmd + -> and cmd + <- for skipping words (I have that in my list as alt + -> and alt + <-). There seem to be a couple of other nice shortcuts (e.g. advancing to the next argument when typing a multi argument message) but I's prefer the basic shortcuts would work...
>
> There is an Editor class with two sub classes that has replaced a former implementation (apparently TextMorphEditor). I couldn't figure out where the shortcuts are actually defined though.
>
> Max
>
> On 22.07.2010, at 20:14, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> I guess that they did that in squeak can you check?
>>
>> On Jul 22, 2010, at 8:10 PM, Max Leske wrote:
>>
>>> No I haven't. I'll take a look at it later on.
>>> Are you planning to replace Paragraph with Editor?
>>>
>>> Max

Re: Mac like editing?

Nicolas Cellier
I tried some of these in Mac TextEdit, and they don't all work as advertised.
Anyway, please don't let the feel become Maccentric.
Let us rather choose among native (default ?), classic squeak, or customizable.

Nicolas

2010/7/22 Max Leske <[hidden email]>

> Hi everyone.
> I have no idea what the status is on the editor in pharo and if there are any plans to do something to / with it. If there's some resource, could you point me to it?
> In the meantime I thought I'd share my impressions with you; doesn't hurt at least.
> Since I started developing in Pharo I've struggled with the editor, in particular with the fact that I need to use the mouse a lot to position the cursor which, as all of you know, makes development quite a bit slower.
> Before I came to Pharo I used to develop in Eclipse and Eclipse supports all shortcuts used inside OS X (and if not you can change the shortcut settings). My favorite shortcuts:
>
> cmd + -> : go to end of line
> cmd + <- : go to beginning of line
> alt + -> : go to end of the current word
> alt + -> : go to beginning of current word
> alt + arrow up : switch the line above with the current line (current line has line number -1, line above has line number +1)
> alt + arrow down : switch the line below with the current line
> cmd + l : delete line (I know this shortcut is used to cancel changes at the moment. Still, I haven't found a shortcut yet that deletes a single line)
>
> I'd LOVE to see this in Pharo, or at least be able to configure the shortcuts myself. I think, being able to change the shortcuts is important anyway because each developer has an own style.
> I'd try to come up with a solution myself but I just don't have the time at the moment.
> Thanks for listening to my yapping :)
> Max

Re: Mac like editing?

Stéphane Ducasse
yes
this is the idea.
something that we can plug I want emacs bindings :)
Stef

On Jul 22, 2010, at 9:17 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> Hi,
> I tried some of these in Mac TextEdit, and they don't all work as advertised.
> Anyway, please don't let the feel become Maccentric.
> Let us rather choose among native (default ?), classic squeak, or customizable.
>
> Nicolas
>
> 2010/7/22 Max Leske <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hi everyone.
>> I have no idea what the status is on the editor in pharo and if there are any plans to do something to / with it. If there's some resource, could you point me to it?
>> In the meantime I thought I'd share my impressions with you; doesn't hurt at least.
>> Since I started developing in Pharo I've struggled with the editor, in particular with the fact that I need to use the mouse a lot to position the cursor which, as all of you know, makes development quite a bit slower.
>> Before I came to Pharo I used to develop in Eclipse and Eclipse supports all shortcuts used inside OS X (and if not you can change the shortcut settings). My favorite shortcuts:
>>
>> cmd + -> : go to end of line
>> cmd + <- : go to beginning of line
>> alt + -> : go to end of the current word
>> alt + -> : go to beginning of current word
>> alt + arrow up : switch the line above with the current line (current line has line number -1, line above has line number +1)
>> alt + arrow down : switch the line below with the current line
>> cmd + l : delete line (I know this shortcut is used to cancel changes at the moment. Still, I haven't found a shortcut yet that deletes a single line)
>>
>> I'd LOVE to see this in Pharo, or at least be able to configure the shortcuts myself. I think, being able to change the shortcuts is important anyway because each developer has an own style.
>> I'd try to come up with a solution myself but I just don't have the time at the moment.
>> Thanks for listening to my yapping :)
>> Max

Re: Mac like editing?

Max Leske
Agreed. I don't want mac to rool the world.
Pluggable would be cool, maybe with OS specific defaults.

Nicolas,
you're right of course, cmd + l, and alt + (arrow up / arrow down) were Eclipse specific. I just listed them because I used them a lot and thought they'd be nice to have in Pharo.

Max

On 22.07.2010, at 21:30, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> yes
> this is the idea.
> something that we can plug I want emacs bindings :)
> Stef
>
> On Jul 22, 2010, at 9:17 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I tried some of these in Mac TextEdit, and they don't all work as advertised.
>> Anyway, please don't let the feel become Maccentric.
>> Let us rather choose among native (default ?), classic squeak, or customizable.
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> 2010/7/22 Max Leske <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> Hi everyone.
>>> I have no idea what the status is on the editor in pharo and if there are any plans to do something to / with it. If there's some resource, could you point me to it?
>>> In the meantime I thought I'd share my impressions with you; doesn't hurt at least.
>>> Since I started developing in Pharo I've struggled with the editor, in particular with the fact that I need to use the mouse a lot to position the cursor which, as all of you know, makes development quite a bit slower.
>>> Before I came to Pharo I used to develop in Eclipse and Eclipse supports all shortcuts used inside OS X (and if not you can change the shortcut settings). My favorite shortcuts:
>>>
>>> cmd + -> : go to end of line
>>> cmd + <- : go to beginning of line
>>> alt + -> : go to end of the current word
>>> alt + -> : go to beginning of current word
>>> alt + arrow up : switch the line above with the current line (current line has line number -1, line above has line number +1)
>>> alt + arrow down : switch the line below with the current line
>>> cmd + l : delete line (I know this shortcut is used to cancel changes at the moment. Still, I haven't found a shortcut yet that deletes a single line)
>>>
>>> I'd LOVE to see this in Pharo, or at least be able to configure the shortcuts myself. I think, being able to change the shortcuts is important anyway because each developer has an own style.
>>> I'd try to come up with a solution myself but I just don't have the time at the moment.
>>> Thanks for listening to my yapping :)
>>> Max

Re: Mac like editing?

Fernando olivero
Right now they are hardcoded here

TextEditor class, category:  keyboard shortcut tables

For example:

TextEditor class>> initializeBasicCmdKeyShortcuts

Wouldn't be hard to plug a customized mapping. And then do the same in

TextEditor>>dispatchOn: aKeyboardEvent

You could make this changes, and later test them easily using NewTextMorph.

Fernando

On Jul 22, 2010, at 8:59 PM, Max Leske wrote:

> I checked Squeak 4.1 basic image (Damien's server didn't let me download the SqueakDev image). There are no preferences in the preferences browser for editing shortcuts. The only shortcut I could verify was cmd + -> and cmd + <- for skipping words (I have that in my list as alt + -> and alt + <-). There seem to be a couple of other nice shortcuts (e.g. advancing to the next argument when typing a multi argument message) but I's prefer the basic shortcuts would work...
>
> There is an Editor class with two sub classes that has replaced a former implementation (apparently TextMorphEditor). I couldn't figure out where the shortcuts are actually defined though.
>
> Max
>
> On 22.07.2010, at 20:14, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> I guess that they did that in squeak can you check?
>>
>> On Jul 22, 2010, at 8:10 PM, Max Leske wrote:
>>
>>> No I haven't. I'll take a look at it later on.
>>> Are you planning to replace Paragraph with Editor?
>>>
>>> Max

Re: Mac like editing?

Stéphane Ducasse
yes one idea is to have a look at keybinding or keymapper pick up the ones that works and has tests
and incrementally work there.
Sean gave me squeak images with these package loaded but I got no time to have a look.

> Right now they are hardcoded here
>
> TextEditor class, category:  keyboard shortcut tables
>
> For example:
>
> TextEditor class>> initializeBasicCmdKeyShortcuts
>
> Wouldn't be hard to plug a customized mapping. And then do the same in
>
> TextEditor>>dispatchOn: aKeyboardEvent
>
> You could make this changes, and later test them easily using NewTextMorph.
>
> Fernando
>
> On Jul 22, 2010, at 8:59 PM, Max Leske wrote:
>
>> I checked Squeak 4.1 basic image (Damien's server didn't let me download the SqueakDev image). There are no preferences in the preferences browser for editing shortcuts. The only shortcut I could verify was cmd + -> and cmd + <- for skipping words (I have that in my list as alt + -> and alt + <-). There seem to be a couple of other nice shortcuts (e.g. advancing to the next argument when typing a multi argument message) but I's prefer the basic shortcuts would work...
>>
>> There is an Editor class with two sub classes that has replaced a former implementation (apparently TextMorphEditor). I couldn't figure out where the shortcuts are actually defined though.
>>
>> Max
>>
>> On 22.07.2010, at 20:14, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> I guess that they did that in squeak can you check?

Re: Mac like editing?

Chris Muller-3
Hi, I used eclipse for about 5 years, and liked many aspects of its
editor and keyboard shortcuts.  However, there are a couple of things
about Pharo's ParagraphEditor that correlate to what you want:

> cmd + -> : go to end of line

  END key

> cmd + <- : go to beginning of line

  HOME key

> alt + -> : go to end of the current word

  Control+[right-arrow], left-arrow

> alt + -> : go to beginning of current word

You mean alt + <-  ??

  Control+[left-arrow]

> alt + arrow up : switch the line above with the current line (current line
> has line number -1, line above has line number +1)

In Pharo, you can swap any two _selections_, not just lines.  This is
much more useful since often expressions span multiple lines.  To use:

  1) select the first selection
  2) select the second selection (the first becomes unselected)
  3) press Command+e, to "exchange" them.

> alt + arrow down : switch the line below with the current line
> cmd + l : delete line (I know this shortcut is used to cancel changes at the
> moment. Still, I haven't found a shortcut yet that deletes a single line)

I'm not sure how useful it would be for a Smalltalk editor to start
putting in "line"-oriented commands but... I've always preferred
disabling:

  wordStyleCursorMovement

and then you can delete an "line" easily with the keyboard with the
following key-sequence:

  Shift+Home, Shift+End, Delete

> I'd LOVE to see this in Pharo, or at least be able to configure the
> shortcuts myself. I think, being able to change the shortcuts is important
> anyway because each developer has an own style.
> I'd try to come up with a solution myself but I just don't have the time at
> the moment.
> Thanks for listening to my yapping :)
> Max

Re: Mac like editing?

Max Leske
Hey, thanks!
Didn't know about the exchange feature. One reason I complained is that ctrl + arrow left / right is my shortcut for spaces on mac and I like it that way... :)

I reckon these shortcuts (since not customizable in the image at the moment) should be documented e.g. in the FAQ section of the pharo page.

Max