Mac release broken? ClassBinding>>objectForDataStream

Mac release broken? ClassBinding>>objectForDataStream

Huw Lloyd-2
For both 4.6 & 5.0 on the mac, saving a project generates the following error: "NotImplemented: ClassBinding or a superclass should implement objectForDataStream."

The comments in the method suggest this shouldn't have been released to a stable version: "It's not yet clear how serialization should work in the presence of environments".

Problem 2 is that if I then "abandon" the error messge, the workspace is then flooded with "MessageNotUnderstood" error boxes.

Is "environments" something experimental that should be switched off?

Best,
Huw

Re: Mac release broken? ClassBinding>>objectForDataStream

Huw Lloyd-2
Arbitrarily picking an earlier version ... 4.1 does not have this issue/bug.

Any quick fixes for this?  I'm interested in using this in conjunction with aida.

Best,
Huw

On 3 December 2015 at 01:13, Huw Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
For both 4.6 & 5.0 on the mac, saving a project generates the following error: "NotImplemented: ClassBinding or a superclass should implement objectForDataStream."

The comments in the method suggest this shouldn't have been released to a stable version: "It's not yet clear how serialization should work in the presence of environments".

Problem 2 is that if I then "abandon" the error messge, the workspace is then flooded with "MessageNotUnderstood" error boxes.

Is "environments" something experimental that should be switched off?

Best,
Huw

Re: Mac release broken? ClassBinding>>objectForDataStream

David T. Lewis
Huw,

The timing of your question is perfect :-)

There are some very recent updates (in the last week or so) to the Squeak
trunk development stream that address this problem. This is work in progress,
but in a nutshell, the latest trunk fixes should resolve the problem for
4.6 images, but there is work still to be done in order to make it work
in 5.0 Spur. We still need to get these latest updates into the standard
update stream for squeak46, but as soon as that is complete it should work
for those images. I am less certain of the timing for 5.0 images.

Dave

On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 01:25:37AM +0000, Huw Lloyd wrote:

> Arbitrarily picking an earlier version ... 4.1 does not have this issue/bug.
>
> Any quick fixes for this?  I'm interested in using this in conjunction with
> aida.
>
> Best,
> Huw
>

> On 3 December 2015 at 01:13, Huw Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > For both 4.6 & 5.0 on the mac, saving a project generates the following
> > error: "NotImplemented: ClassBinding or a superclass should implement
> > objectForDataStream."
> >
> > The comments in the method suggest this shouldn't have been released to a
> > stable version: "It's not yet clear how serialization should work in the
> > presence of environments".
> >
> > Problem 2 is that if I then "abandon" the error messge, the workspace is
> > then flooded with "MessageNotUnderstood" error boxes.
> >
> > Is "environments" something experimental that should be switched off?
> >
> > Best,
> > Huw

Re: Mac release broken? ClassBinding>>objectForDataStream

Huw Lloyd-2
Thanks Dave.  How do I achieve that -- do I swap in a trunk image to a 4.6 application?  What about the VM?

Best,
Huw

On 3 December 2015 at 02:00, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Huw,

The timing of your question is perfect :-)

There are some very recent updates (in the last week or so) to the Squeak
trunk development stream that address this problem. This is work in progress,
but in a nutshell, the latest trunk fixes should resolve the problem for
4.6 images, but there is work still to be done in order to make it work
in 5.0 Spur. We still need to get these latest updates into the standard
update stream for squeak46, but as soon as that is complete it should work
for those images. I am less certain of the timing for 5.0 images.

Dave

On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 01:25:37AM +0000, Huw Lloyd wrote:
> Arbitrarily picking an earlier version ... 4.1 does not have this issue/bug.
>
> Any quick fixes for this?  I'm interested in using this in conjunction with
> aida.
>
> Best,
> Huw
>

> On 3 December 2015 at 01:13, Huw Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > For both 4.6 & 5.0 on the mac, saving a project generates the following
> > error: "NotImplemented: ClassBinding or a superclass should implement
> > objectForDataStream."
> >
> > The comments in the method suggest this shouldn't have been released to a
> > stable version: "It's not yet clear how serialization should work in the
> > presence of environments".
> >
> > Problem 2 is that if I then "abandon" the error messge, the workspace is
> > then flooded with "MessageNotUnderstood" error boxes.
> >
> > Is "environments" something experimental that should be switched off?
> >
> > Best,
> > Huw

Re: Mac release broken? ClassBinding>>objectForDataStream

Hannes Hirzel
Huw,

See a proposal for a quick fix below using the work of Colin Putney last week.

--Hannes

On 12/3/15, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Huw,
>
> The timing of your question is perfect :-)
>
> There are some very recent updates (in the last week or so) to the Squeak
> trunk development stream that address this problem.

A copy of the mail describing these updates is here
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6218

This is work in
> progress,
> but in a nutshell, the latest trunk fixes should resolve the problem for
> 4.6 images, but there is work still to be done in order to make it work
> in 5.0 Spur. We still need to get these latest updates into the standard
> update stream for squeak46, but as soon as that is complete it should work
> for those images.

The updates Colin Putney committed to the trunk on Friday, Saturday
27/28th Nov are

Name: Environments-cwp.60
Author: cwp
Time: 27 November 2015, 5:14:36.376 pm
UUID: c8836cde-f21e-4652-a2e9-73f8de6f00e0
Ancestors: Environments-kfr.59

Always serialize Bindings as DiskProxies.

Name: System-cwp.781
Author: cwp
Time: 27 November 2015, 5:22:38.591 pm
UUID: c0ffbab7-f7ee-4966-ba07-d57436ac42f2
Ancestors: System-mt.780

Remove specialized serialization of Associations.
Since associations are no longer used as globals, we never need to
serialize them using DiskProxy.

Name: System-cwp.782
Author: cwp
Time: 27 November 2015, 9:00:42.904 pm
UUID: ae1f1166-0438-4e78-8ded-46c59c212210
Ancestors: System-cwp.781

Reload DiskProxies using the current environment

When looking up objects from the destination image, DiskProxies should
use the current environment, rather than referring to to Smalltalk.
This lets objects on disk be loaded into arbitrary environments.

These updates are committed to the trunk (i.e. the ongoing development
after the release of 5.0). However  in a trunk image
http://build.squeak.org/job/Trunk/default/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/TrunkImage.zip
they do NOT work yet.

What you could do as of now

- File in the updates above into a 4.6 image.
- It should fix the problem (I have not tried yet, so please report if
it is successful).

> I am less certain of the timing for 5.0 images.

The reason is that the new VM crashes, and Colin has reported this to
the Virtual Machine List.

> Dave
>

> On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 01:25:37AM +0000, Huw Lloyd wrote:
>> Arbitrarily picking an earlier version ... 4.1 does not have this
>> issue/bug.
>>
>> Any quick fixes for this?  I'm interested in using this in conjunction
>> with
>> aida.
>>
>> Best,
>> Huw
>>

>> On 3 December 2015 at 01:13, Huw Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > For both 4.6 & 5.0 on the mac, saving a project generates the following
>> > error: "NotImplemented: ClassBinding or a superclass should implement
>> > objectForDataStream."
>> >
>> > The comments in the method suggest this shouldn't have been released to
>> > stable version: "It's not yet clear how serialization should work in
>> > the
>> > presence of environments".
>> >
>> > Problem 2 is that if I then "abandon" the error messge, the workspace
>> > is
>> > then flooded with "MessageNotUnderstood" error boxes.
>> >
>> > Is "environments" something experimental that should be switched off?
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Huw

Re: Mac release broken? ClassBinding>>objectForDataStream

Hannes Hirzel
P.S.
The report for this issue is here
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7814

(not yet updated with the new development of last week)

On 12/3/15, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> they do NOT work yet.
>

> What you could do as of now
>
> - File in the updates above into a 4.6 image.
> - It should fix the problem (I have not tried yet, so please report if
> it is successful).
>

>> I am less certain of the timing for 5.0 images.
>
> The reason is that the new VM crashes, and Colin has reported this to
> the Virtual Machine List.
>

>> Dave
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 01:25:37AM +0000, Huw Lloyd wrote:
>>> Arbitrarily picking an earlier version ... 4.1 does not have this
>>> issue/bug.
>>>
>>> Any quick fixes for this?  I'm interested in using this in conjunction
>>> with
>>> aida.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Huw

Re: Mac release broken? ClassBinding>>objectForDataStream

Hannes,

I got as far as a failure to load System-cwp.781 with missing dependency on class UnhandledWarning:

"Warning: This package depends on the following classes:
  UnhandledWarning
You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load these definitions:
  UnhandledWarning>>defaultAction"

The version of package system for 4.6 is System-topa.753

Best,
Huw

Author: cwp
Time: 27 November 2015, 9:00:42.904 pm
UUID: ae1f1166-0438-4e78-8ded-46c59c212210
Ancestors: System-cwp.781

Reload DiskProxies using the current environment

When looking up objects from the destination image, DiskProxies should
use the current environment, rather than referring to to Smalltalk.
This lets objects on disk be loaded into arbitrary environments.

These updates are committed to the trunk (i.e. the ongoing development
after the release of 5.0). However  in a trunk image
http://build.squeak.org/job/Trunk/default/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/TrunkImage.zip
they do NOT work yet.

What you could do as of now

- File in the updates above into a 4.6 image.
- It should fix the problem (I have not tried yet, so please report if
it is successful).

> I am less certain of the timing for 5.0 images.

The reason is that the new VM crashes, and Colin has reported this to
the Virtual Machine List.

> Dave
>

> On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 01:25:37AM +0000, Huw Lloyd wrote:
>> Arbitrarily picking an earlier version ... 4.1 does not have this
>> issue/bug.
>>
>> Any quick fixes for this?  I'm interested in using this in conjunction
>> with
>> aida.
>>
>> Best,
>> Huw
>>

>> On 3 December 2015 at 01:13, Huw Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > For both 4.6 & 5.0 on the mac, saving a project generates the following
>> > error: "NotImplemented: ClassBinding or a superclass should implement
>> > objectForDataStream."
>> >
>> > The comments in the method suggest this shouldn't have been released to
>> > stable version: "It's not yet clear how serialization should work in
>> > the
>> > presence of environments".
>> >
>> > Problem 2 is that if I then "abandon" the error messge, the workspace
>> > is
>> > then flooded with "MessageNotUnderstood" error boxes.
>> >
>> > Is "environments" something experimental that should be switched off?
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Huw

Re: Mac release broken? ClassBinding>>objectForDataStream

Huw Lloyd-2
Looks earliest System package to not load to 4.6 is:

Name: System-ul.757
Author: ul
Time: 14 August 2015, 7:19:00.474 pm
UUID: fca51b99-736e-4666-acac-e5c5b6a1d397
Ancestors: System-cmm.756

#includesSubString: -> #includesSubstring:
#subStrings -> #substrings

Best,
Huw

Author: cwp
Time: 27 November 2015, 9:00:42.904 pm
UUID: ae1f1166-0438-4e78-8ded-46c59c212210
Ancestors: System-cwp.781

Reload DiskProxies using the current environment

When looking up objects from the destination image, DiskProxies should
use the current environment, rather than referring to to Smalltalk.
This lets objects on disk be loaded into arbitrary environments.

These updates are committed to the trunk (i.e. the ongoing development
after the release of 5.0). However  in a trunk image
http://build.squeak.org/job/Trunk/default/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/TrunkImage.zip
they do NOT work yet.

What you could do as of now

- File in the updates above into a 4.6 image.
- It should fix the problem (I have not tried yet, so please report if
it is successful).

> I am less certain of the timing for 5.0 images.

The reason is that the new VM crashes, and Colin has reported this to
the Virtual Machine List.

> Dave
>

> On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 01:25:37AM +0000, Huw Lloyd wrote:
>> Arbitrarily picking an earlier version ... 4.1 does not have this
>> issue/bug.
>>
>> Any quick fixes for this?  I'm interested in using this in conjunction
>> with
>> aida.
>>
>> Best,
>> Huw
>>

>> On 3 December 2015 at 01:13, Huw Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > For both 4.6 & 5.0 on the mac, saving a project generates the following
>> > error: "NotImplemented: ClassBinding or a superclass should implement
>> > objectForDataStream."
>> >
>> > The comments in the method suggest this shouldn't have been released to
>> > stable version: "It's not yet clear how serialization should work in
>> > the
>> > presence of environments".
>> >
>> > Problem 2 is that if I then "abandon" the error messge, the workspace
>> > is
>> > then flooded with "MessageNotUnderstood" error boxes.
>> >
>> > Is "environments" something experimental that should be switched off?
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Huw

Re: Mac release broken? ClassBinding>>objectForDataStream

Karl Ramberg

Author: ul

Author: cwp
Time: 27 November 2015, 9:00:42.904 pm
UUID: ae1f1166-0438-4e78-8ded-46c59c212210
Ancestors: System-cwp.781

Reload DiskProxies using the current environment

When looking up objects from the destination image, DiskProxies should
use the current environment, rather than referring to to Smalltalk.
This lets objects on disk be loaded into arbitrary environments.

These updates are committed to the trunk (i.e. the ongoing development
after the release of 5.0). However  in a trunk image
http://build.squeak.org/job/Trunk/default/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/TrunkImage.zip
they do NOT work yet.

What you could do as of now

- File in the updates above into a 4.6 image.
- It should fix the problem (I have not tried yet, so please report if
it is successful).

> I am less certain of the timing for 5.0 images.

The reason is that the new VM crashes, and Colin has reported this to
the Virtual Machine List.

> Dave
>

> On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 01:25:37AM +0000, Huw Lloyd wrote:
>> Arbitrarily picking an earlier version ... 4.1 does not have this
>> issue/bug.
>>
>> Any quick fixes for this?  I'm interested in using this in conjunction
>> with
>> aida.
>>
>> Best,
>> Huw
>>

>> On 3 December 2015 at 01:13, Huw Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > For both 4.6 & 5.0 on the mac, saving a project generates the following
>> > error: "NotImplemented: ClassBinding or a superclass should implement
>> > objectForDataStream."
>> >
>> > The comments in the method suggest this shouldn't have been released to
>> > stable version: "It's not yet clear how serialization should work in
>> > the
>> > presence of environments".
>> >
>> > Problem 2 is that if I then "abandon" the error messge, the workspace
>> > is
>> > then flooded with "MessageNotUnderstood" error boxes.
>> >
>> > Is "environments" something experimental that should be switched off?
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Huw

Re: Mac release broken? ClassBinding>>objectForDataStream

Hannes Hirzel
As direct loading does not work I suggest something like  copy/paste
updated methods from a Squeak 5 trunk image one by one.

back to the 4.6 image.

I.e. open the mcz file in a code browser but do not load it.

If necessary the code has to be adapted to cater for updates which
happened elsewhere in the meantime as you write

#includesSubString: -> #includesSubstring:
#subStrings -> #substrings

It seems that there not all that many fixes.

--Hannes

On 12/3/15, Huw Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>> When looking up objects from the destination image, DiskProxies should
>>> use the current environment, rather than referring to to Smalltalk.
>>> This lets objects on disk be loaded into arbitrary environments.
>>>
>>> These updates are committed to the trunk (i.e. the ongoing development
>>> after the release of 5.0). However  in a trunk image
>>>
>>> http://build.squeak.org/job/Trunk/default/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/TrunkImage.zip
>>> they do NOT work yet.
>>>

>>> What you could do as of now
>>>
>>> - File in the updates above into a 4.6 image.
>>> - It should fix the problem (I have not tried yet, so please report if
>>> it is successful).

>>> The reason is that the new VM crashes, and Colin has reported this to
>>> the Virtual Machine List.

>>> following

Re: Mac release broken? ClassBinding>>objectForDataStream

Colin Putney-3
I'll backport the trunk changes to 4.6 tonight.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 7:06 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> When looking up objects from the destination image, DiskProxies should
>>> use the current environment, rather than referring to to Smalltalk.
>>> This lets objects on disk be loaded into arbitrary environments.
>>>
>>> These updates are committed to the trunk (i.e. the ongoing development
>>> after the release of 5.0). However  in a trunk image
>>>
>>> http://build.squeak.org/job/Trunk/default/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/TrunkImage.zip
>>> they do NOT work yet.
>>>

>>> What you could do as of now
>>>
>>> - File in the updates above into a 4.6 image.
>>> - It should fix the problem (I have not tried yet, so please report if
>>> it is successful).

>>> The reason is that the new VM crashes, and Colin has reported this to
>>> the Virtual Machine List.

>>> following

Re: Mac release broken? ClassBinding>>objectForDataStream

I don't know enough about squeak to determine the length of that task (2nd day of squeaking for me).  However, the modified 4.6 does now save (after loading the newer environment package and loading the classes from the system package).

Best,
Huw

On 3 December 2015 at 17:08, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'll backport the trunk changes to 4.6 tonight.

Thanks, Colin.  That will also enable new users to save projects.  :)

Best,
Huw

> [...]

>>> When looking up objects from the destination image, DiskProxies should
>>> use the current environment, rather than referring to to Smalltalk.
>>> This lets objects on disk be loaded into arbitrary environments.
>>>
>>> These updates are committed to the trunk (i.e. the ongoing development
>>> after the release of 5.0). However  in a trunk image
>>>
>>> http://build.squeak.org/job/Trunk/default/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/TrunkImage.zip
>>> they do NOT work yet.
>>>

>>> What you could do as of now
>>>
>>> - File in the updates above into a 4.6 image.
>>> - It should fix the problem (I have not tried yet, so please report if
>>> it is successful).

>>> The reason is that the new VM crashes, and Colin has reported this to
>>> the Virtual Machine List.

>>> following

Re: Mac release broken? ClassBinding>>objectForDataStream

Chris Muller-3
> There are some very recent updates (in the last week or so) to the Squeak
> trunk development stream that address this problem. This is work in progress,
> but in a nutshell, the latest trunk fixes should resolve the problem for
> 4.6 images, but there is work still to be done in order to make it work
> in 5.0 Spur. We still need to get these latest updates into the standard
> update stream for squeak46, but as soon as that is complete it should work
> for those images. I am less certain of the timing for 5.0 images.

I must've missed the conversation; what is the problem with 5.0 that
Colin's Environments fix won't work?

Re: Mac release broken? ClassBinding>>objectForDataStream

Hannes Hirzel
Here is Colin's report of last Saturday

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6218

The new VM with the trunk images crashes with the environment fixes of
Colin whereas the fixes work in 4.6

--Hannes

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 9:35 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

I must've missed the conversation; what is the problem with 5.0 that
Colin's Environments fix won't work?

It's basically that Spur doesn't support ImageSegments yet. It crashes on when saving a segment, and fails to load one properly (but doesn't crash).

-Colin

Re: Mac release broken? ClassBinding>>objectForDataStream

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Colin,

    AFAIA the Spur VM does provide image segment support ;-).  If the system is crashing there's a bug.  But the image segment support does differ somewhat from the previous version since Sour does not support stable object enumeration and so relies on the segment load prim answering an array of the loaded objects and the image level code using this to post process the loaded objs rather than nextObject.  There were a raft of changes about a month ago that made the image segment tests run successfully.  Can you say more about what's broken?

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Colin,

    AFAIA the Spur VM does provide image segment support ;-).  If the system is crashing there's a bug.  But the image segment support does differ somewhat from the previous version since Sour does not support stable object enumeration and so relies on the segment load prim answering an array of the loaded objects and the image level code using this to post process the loaded objs rather than nextObject.  There were a raft of changes about a month ago that made the image segment tests run successfully.  Can you say more about what's broken?

The crash occurs when saving a project. I don't know what the issue is, but there's a reproducible case here:

(Thanks to David for rescuing my overly large attachment!)

In an apparently separate issue, when loading a project, I get an error, 'Segment has not been becommed into the loaded objects', raised by ImageSegment>>checkAndReportLoadError. The segment inst var is still an instance of WordArrayForSegment, rather than an Array, so it appears the primitive failed.

Colin