MacBook & Squeak

Squeak Smalltalk
Hello,

I will soon buy a macbook. Any comments about running squeak on macbook ?

Best Regards
W.

Re: MacBook & Squeak

Adrian Lienhard
I haven't run into any problem with the universal Mac VM of John on
my MacBook Pro.
Adrian

On May 26, 2006, at 09:46 , Squeak Smalltalk wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I will soon buy a macbook. Any comments about running squeak on
> macbook ?
>
> Best Regards
> W.

Re: MacBook & Squeak

johnmci
You need the 3.8.12beta4U mac vm which is Mac Intel aware.
Much faster, nicer, and improved.

On 26-May-06, at 12:46 AM, Squeak Smalltalk wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I will soon buy a macbook. Any comments about running squeak on
> macbook ?
>
> Best Regards
> W.

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
===

Re: MacBook & Squeak

Michael Rueger-6
John M McIntosh wrote:
> You need the 3.8.12beta4U mac vm which is Mac Intel aware.
> Much faster, nicer, and improved.

Is this on any official download site yet (meaning easy to find from
squeak.org)? Me thinks we should add a link to the downloads section in
the top right for intel Mac users or repackage the 3.8 package if not
already done so.

Michael

Re: MacBook & Squeak

Marcus Denker

On 26.05.2006, at 17:04, Michael Rueger wrote:

> John M McIntosh wrote:
>> You need the 3.8.12beta4U mac vm which is Mac Intel aware.
>> Much faster, nicer, and improved.

Much faster:

'343624161 bytecodes/sec; 7849809 sends/sec'

very nice...

> Is this on any official download site yet (meaning easy to find
> from squeak.org)? Me thinks we should add a link to the downloads
> section in the top right for intel Mac users or repackage the 3.8
> package if not already done so.

repackaging. I' do that tonight.

       Marcus

Re: MacBook & Squeak

johnmci
Having some announcement on the web site suggesting that mac intel
owners upgrade to the latest VM would be good, since as you
see the performance improvement over the powerpc version is quite
significant.

On 26-May-06, at 8:28 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On 26.05.2006, at 17:04, Michael Rueger wrote:
>
>> John M McIntosh wrote:
>>> You need the 3.8.12beta4U mac vm which is Mac Intel aware.
>>> Much faster, nicer, and improved.
>>

> Much faster:
>
> '343624161 bytecodes/sec; 7849809 sends/sec'
>
> very nice...
>

>> Is this on any official download site yet (meaning easy to find
>> from squeak.org)? Me thinks we should add a link to the downloads
>> section in the top right for intel Mac users or repackage the 3.8
>> package if not already done so.
>
> repackaging. I' do that tonight.
>
>       Marcus

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
===

Re: MacBook & Squeak

Avi  Bryant

On May 26, 2006, at 7:20 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> You need the 3.8.12beta4U mac vm which is Mac Intel aware.
> Much faster, nicer, and improved.

Yep, it's very nice, though there are some things (like file locking)
that we need the unix VM for.  Any word on when that will be
available for Intel?  A naive recompile just gives a segfault.

Avi

Re: MacBook & Squeak

tblanchard
I've built one - get it at http://www.blackbagops.net/Squeak-3.8a-1.app.zip

On Friday, May 26, 2006, at 12:04PM, Avi Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On May 26, 2006, at 7:20 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> You need the 3.8.12beta4U mac vm which is Mac Intel aware.
>> Much faster, nicer, and improved.
>
>Yep, it's very nice, though there are some things (like file locking)
>that we need the unix VM for.  Any word on when that will be
>available for Intel?  A naive recompile just gives a segfault.
>
>Avi

Re: MacBook & Squeak

johnmci
I think  you'll need to define your file locking needs, not all
operating systems support this, perhaps someone could make an
optional plugin? And or supply FFI code.

On 26-May-06, at 12:03 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On May 26, 2006, at 7:20 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> You need the 3.8.12beta4U mac vm which is Mac Intel aware.
>> Much faster, nicer, and improved.
>
> Yep, it's very nice, though there are some things (like file
> locking) that we need the unix VM for.  Any word on when that will
> be available for Intel?  A naive recompile just gives a segfault.
>
> Avi

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
===

Re: MacBook & Squeak

johnmci
Todd, did we ever solve the performance issues with this VM as
compared to the carbon mac intel VM? 3.8.12b4U

On 26-May-06, at 1:05 PM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> I've built one - get it at http://www.blackbagops.net/
> Squeak-3.8a-1.app.zip
>
> On Friday, May 26, 2006, at 12:04PM, Avi Bryant
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On May 26, 2006, at 7:20 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>>
>>> You need the 3.8.12beta4U mac vm which is Mac Intel aware.
>>> Much faster, nicer, and improved.
>>
>> Yep, it's very nice, though there are some things (like file locking)
>> that we need the unix VM for.  Any word on when that will be
>> available for Intel?  A naive recompile just gives a segfault.
>>
>> Avi

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
===

Re: MacBook & Squeak

David T. Lewis
I think that the file locking you are referring to is the file locking
in OSProcess and OSPP. Most likely this already is working on the Mac VM,
although I'm not it a position to test and confirm this. File locking
does not require any fancy pthread-aware signal handling and such, so
it probably is already OK on OS X.

Both OSProcess and OSProcessPlugin have newer versions on SqueakSource
that are intended in part to address problems on Mac OS X. These are
really only tested on my own Intel Linux box, but they may work better
on Mac so if anyone is doing some experimenting with this, please try
the latest unreleased versions on SqueakSource and let me know how it
goes.

Dave

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 01:12:14PM -0700, John M McIntosh wrote:

> I think  you'll need to define your file locking needs, not all
> operating systems support this, perhaps someone could make an
> optional plugin? And or supply FFI code.
>
> On 26-May-06, at 12:03 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:
>

> >On May 26, 2006, at 7:20 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
> >
> >>You need the 3.8.12beta4U mac vm which is Mac Intel aware.
> >>Much faster, nicer, and improved.
> >
> >Yep, it's very nice, though there are some things (like file
> >locking) that we need the unix VM for.  Any word on when that will
> >be available for Intel?  A naive recompile just gives a segfault.
> >
> >Avi

Re: MacBook & Squeak

Avi  Bryant

On May 26, 2006, at 1:35 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Todd, did we ever solve the performance issues with this VM as
> compared to the carbon mac intel VM? 3.8.12b4U

0 tinyBenchmarks  '224956063 bytecodes/sec; 7593723 sends/sec'

vs. the Carbon VM:

  '348536419 bytecodes/sec; 7042112 sends/sec'

So the sends are comparable but it's running at 2/3 the bytecode speed.

Avi

Re: MacBook & Squeak

johnmci
Forgot.

You should be able to stick the unixOSProcess in the mac carbon VM
bundle and just use it. No X11 related thingees, or forking the
Squeak Carbon VM process tho.

On 26-May-06, at 2:38 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> I think that the file locking you are referring to is the file locking
> in OSProcess and OSPP. Most likely this already is working on the
> Mac VM,
> although I'm not it a position to test and confirm this. File locking
> does not require any fancy pthread-aware signal handling and such, so
> it probably is already OK on OS X.

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
===

Re: MacBook & Squeak

johnmci
mmm, compiler options, VM options, compiler versions, register usage,
gnu-header differences etc all come to mind.
Likely need to beat the compiler into producing the same instructions
as the carbon vm has for the same interp.c

On 26-May-06, at 3:12 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On May 26, 2006, at 1:35 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> Todd, did we ever solve the performance issues with this VM as
>> compared to the carbon mac intel VM? 3.8.12b4U
>
> 0 tinyBenchmarks  '224956063 bytecodes/sec; 7593723 sends/sec'
>
> vs. the Carbon VM:
>
>  '348536419 bytecodes/sec; 7042112 sends/sec'
>
> So the sends are comparable but it's running at 2/3 the bytecode
> speed.
>
> Avi

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
===

Re: MacBook & Squeak

tblanchard
Nope - your compiler options improved performance about 10-20% (and
this VM uses them).

At some point I'd like to return to that but I've become busy
recently. :-/

-Todd Blanchard

On May 26, 2006, at 1:35 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Todd, did we ever solve the performance issues with this VM as
> compared to the carbon mac intel VM? 3.8.12b4U
>
> On 26-May-06, at 1:05 PM, Todd Blanchard wrote:
>
>> I've built one - get it at http://www.blackbagops.net/
>> Squeak-3.8a-1.app.zip
>>
>> On Friday, May 26, 2006, at 12:04PM, Avi Bryant
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Yep, it's very nice, though there are some things (like file
>>> locking)
>>> that we need the unix VM for.  Any word on when that will be
>>> available for Intel?  A naive recompile just gives a segfault.
>>>
>>> Avi

> =====
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =====

Re: MacBook & Squeak

timrowledge

On 26-May-06, at 1:12 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> I think  you'll need to define your file locking needs, not all
> operating systems support this, perhaps someone could make an
> optional plugin?
We've been dreaming about an extended FilePlugin for quite some time
and this is one of the things that would likely be included. The OS
spread is an issue that adds yet more excitement to an already
thrilling problem.

tim
Strange OpCodes: PWB: Put to Waste Basket