Machine learning in Pharo

Andy Burnett
Are there any ML libraries in Pharo? I want to build a document classifier for the contents of an RSS feed. I was hoping to try this in Pharo.

Cheers
Andy

Re: Machine learning in Pharo

stepharo
I know that in VW we developed LSI (stemers and probably others) but I'm
not sure that this is what you need.
> Are there any ML libraries in Pharo? I want to build a document
> classifier for the contents of an RSS feed. I was hoping to try this
> in Pharo.
>
> Cheers
> Andy

Re: Machine learning in Pharo

Evan Donahue
Hello,

I added a "MachineLearning" repository to Smalltalkhub a while back, but I got sidetracked before adding anything beyond a naive KNN classifier, which was really just to help prototype the testing framework. That said, my plans involve expanding the library extensively this summer in conjunction with my research, starting in about 6 days. I work on natural language processing, so it is possible that I was already planning to build some of the models you were intending to use. What models were you looking for? I also added a parallel NLP repository, which is similarly barren but for a naive IBM Model 1 translation model, which probably won't help you.

Relatedly, I was contemplating building an RSS classifier myself, and would gladly use one, were it to exist.

Cheers,
Evan

Re: Machine learning in Pharo

abergel
Hi Even,

let us know! This is highly exciting!

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Machine learning in Pharo

stepharo
for NLP

Olivier started to work on Phonetix

Now there is
     https://github.com/mark-watson/nlp_smalltalk
     But the lince is GPL3.0
     and it looks simple... not sure it is worth to polute your life
with such license.

Stef

Le 1/5/16 à 18:50, Evan Donahue a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I added a "MachineLearning" repository to Smalltalkhub a while back, but I
> got sidetracked before adding anything beyond a naive KNN classifier, which
> was really just to help prototype the testing framework. That said, my plans
> involve expanding the library extensively this summer in conjunction with my
> research, starting in about 6 days. I work on natural language processing,
> so it is possible that I was already planning to build some of the models
> you were intending to use. What models were you looking for? I also added a
> parallel NLP repository, which is similarly barren but for a naive IBM Model
> 1 translation model, which probably won't help you.
>
> Relatedly, I was contemplating building an RSS classifier myself, and would
> gladly use one, were it to exist.
>
> Cheers,
> Evan

Re: Machine learning in Pharo