Made with Amber

laurent laffont
Hi,

Product accepted by customer (source code should be released this year).

Laurent Laffont

Re: Made with Amber

Bernat Romagosa
Congrats Laurent! It looks fantastic!

Bernat Romagosa.

Laurent Laffont

Re: Made with Amber

sebastianconcept
show!

amazing responsiveness

congratulations Laurent

Em sexta-feira, 23 de março de 2012 14h45min05s UTC-3, laurent escreveu:
Hi,

Product accepted by customer (source code should be released this year).

Laurent Laffont

Laurent Laffont

Re: Made with Amber

Thelliez
Great!

What advantages have you seen with amber while developing this application?

Cheers,
Thierry

Re: Made with Amber

Guillermo Sapaya
Excellent Laurent!
It is good to see products on Amber!

Regards,
Guillermo
Enviado desde mi BlackBerry de Personal

From: laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 18:45:05 +0100
ReplyTo: [hidden email]
Subject: [amber-lang] Made with Amber

Hi,

Product accepted by customer (source code should be released this year).

Laurent Laffont

Re: Made with Amber

laurent laffont
On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Thierry Thelliez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great!

What advantages have you seen with amber while developing this application?

Metadata (json) is loaded through ajax to build the book. Then the book browser is composed of several widgets that need to be synchronized. It handles embed and fullscreen views.

The advantages of Amber are:
- you develop in ONE tool: all the css, external js, smalltalk and raw js code written there. Easy (and live) integration with js librairies.
- you can reload widgets individually and extend the application on the fly (thanks Smalltalk) - feedback cycle is far more shorter than traditional JS / JQuery development
- SUNIT !!
- Announcement means you can decouple code
- Inspector and Debugger (though Amber debugger needs work to catch Pharo's one)
- Easy to inline raw js when you need performance

If you want to play with it, here some examples (click on "Feuilleter le livre" tab)

The application is quite responsive. We actually have more server loading problems than client side.

Laurent

Cheers,
Thierry

Re: Made with Amber

Denis Kudriashov
Hello

How fast you develop this application?
How many developers and designers you have?

What you think about development time of your solution with another
technologies (ruby, php, java, seaside)?

2012/3/24, laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Thierry Thelliez <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Great!
>>
>> What advantages have you seen with amber while developing this
>> application?
>>

> Metadata (json) is loaded through ajax to build the book. Then the book
> browser is composed of several widgets that need to be synchronized. It
> handles embed and fullscreen views.
>
> The advantages of Amber are:
> - you develop in ONE tool: all the css, external js, smalltalk and raw js
> code written there. Easy (and live) integration with js librairies.
> - you can reload widgets individually and extend the application on the fly
> (thanks Smalltalk) - feedback cycle is far more shorter than traditional JS
> / JQuery development
> - SUNIT !!
> - Announcement means you can decouple code
> - Inspector and Debugger (though Amber debugger needs work to catch Pharo's
> one)
> - Easy to inline raw js when you need performance
>
> If you want to play with it, here some examples (click on "Feuilleter le
> livre" tab)
> -
> http://mediatheques.agglo-moulins.fr/agglo-moulins.fr/bib-numerique/notice/id/278/folio/MS_120_0011R
> -
> http://mediatheques.agglo-moulins.fr/agglo-moulins.fr/bib-numerique/notice/ido/D09030257
> -
> http://mediatheques.agglo-moulins.fr/agglo-moulins.fr/bib-numerique/notice/ido/D09030182
>

> The application is quite responsive. We actually have more server loading
> problems than client side.
>
> Laurent
>

>> Cheers,
>> Thierry

Re: Made with Amber

laurent laffont
Hi Denis,

note that the Amber application is the book viewer, only client side. Server side is written in PHP (no choice, integration in an existing product).

So I cannot compare the development time with PHP/Ruby/Java/Seaside.

IMO development process (ex: TDD, timeboxing, ...) has more impact on development time than technology. Amber enables TDD and quick feedback. So it's better than raw javascript or jQuery plugin development.

Laurent

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello

How fast you develop this application?
How many developers and designers you have?

What you think about development time of your solution with another
technologies (ruby, php, java, seaside)?

2012/3/24, laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Thierry Thelliez <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Great!
>>
>> What advantages have you seen with amber while developing this
>> application?
>>

> Metadata (json) is loaded through ajax to build the book. Then the book
> browser is composed of several widgets that need to be synchronized. It
> handles embed and fullscreen views.
>
> The advantages of Amber are:
> - you develop in ONE tool: all the css, external js, smalltalk and raw js
> code written there. Easy (and live) integration with js librairies.
> - you can reload widgets individually and extend the application on the fly
> (thanks Smalltalk) - feedback cycle is far more shorter than traditional JS
> / JQuery development
> - SUNIT !!
> - Announcement means you can decouple code
> - Inspector and Debugger (though Amber debugger needs work to catch Pharo's
> one)
> - Easy to inline raw js when you need performance
>
> If you want to play with it, here some examples (click on "Feuilleter le
> livre" tab)
> -
> http://mediatheques.agglo-moulins.fr/agglo-moulins.fr/bib-numerique/notice/id/278/folio/MS_120_0011R
> -
> http://mediatheques.agglo-moulins.fr/agglo-moulins.fr/bib-numerique/notice/ido/D09030257
> -
> http://mediatheques.agglo-moulins.fr/agglo-moulins.fr/bib-numerique/notice/ido/D09030182
>

> The application is quite responsive. We actually have more server loading
> problems than client side.
>
> Laurent
>

>> Cheers,
>> Thierry

Re: Made with Amber

Hannes Hirzel
On 3/24/12, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Thierry Thelliez <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Great!
>>
>> What advantages have you seen with amber while developing this
>> application?
>>

> Metadata (json) is loaded through ajax to build the book. Then the book
> browser is composed of several widgets that need to be synchronized. It
> handles embed and fullscreen views.
>
> The advantages of Amber are:
> - you develop in ONE tool: all the css, external js, smalltalk and raw js
> code written there. Easy (and live) integration with js librairies.
> - you can reload widgets individually and extend the application on the fly
> (thanks Smalltalk) - feedback cycle is far more shorter than traditional JS
> / JQuery development
> - SUNIT !!
> - Announcement means you can decouple code
> - Inspector and Debugger (though Amber debugger needs work to catch Pharo's
> one)
> - Easy to inline raw js when you need performance
>
> If you want to play with it, here some examples (click on "Feuilleter le
> livre" tab)
> -
> http://mediatheques.agglo-moulins.fr/agglo-moulins.fr/bib-numerique/notice/id/278/folio/MS_120_0011R
> -
> http://mediatheques.agglo-moulins.fr/agglo-moulins.fr/bib-numerique/notice/ido/D09030257
> -
> http://mediatheques.agglo-moulins.fr/agglo-moulins.fr/bib-numerique/notice/ido/D09030182
>

> The application is quite responsive. We actually have more server loading
> problems than client side.
>
> Laurent

Thank you for this summary on the development approach. It illustrates
how Amber is used to develop an HTML5 application.

-- Hannes

Re: Made with Amber

Michael Chean-2
Beautiful!