MagLev 1.0 released, congrats to Gemstoners!

MagLev 1.0 released, congrats to Gemstoners!

Janko Mivšek
Hello all,

I just saw the great news that MagLev reached 1.0 and I like to
congratulate Gemstome guys for all work on that project, important for
us Smalltalkers as well!

        http://maglev.github.com/

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: MagLev 1.0 released, congrats to Gemstoners!

Charles Monteiro
Indeed, to have Gemstone available to Ruby is a great thing if you can't work on ST i.e.  Ruby is not all that bad a place to be. My question though is what's a viable application for this? i.e. have you all thought about how to integrate this into a pre-existing Ruby app framework. For example, it seems that the Borges project (Ruby Seaside) is dead but that seems would have been a great candidate to use MagLev to provide persistence. Rails is coupled to RDMS , one can plug different frameworks e.g. ActiveRecord, DataMapper but its an RDMS thing.

-Charles

2011/11/3 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>
Hello all,

I just saw the great news that MagLev reached 1.0 and I like to
congratulate Gemstome guys for all work on that project, important for
us Smalltalkers as well!

       http://maglev.github.com/

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

--
Charles A. Monteiro
www.monteirosfusion.com
sent from the road

Re: MagLev 1.0 released, congrats to Gemstoners!

Conrad Taylor
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Charles Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
Indeed, to have Gemstone available to Ruby is a great thing if you can't work on ST i.e.  Ruby is not all that bad a place to be. My question though is what's a viable application for this? i.e. have you all thought about how to integrate this into a pre-existing Ruby app framework. For example, it seems that the Borges project (Ruby Seaside) is dead but that seems would have been a great candidate to use MagLev to provide persistence. Rails is coupled to RDMS , one can plug different frameworks e.g. ActiveRecord, DataMapper but its an RDMS thing.

-Charles

Charles, I spoke with two Rails core developers on the subject of using Maglev as a Rails datastore.  They said that one will need to do the following:

a)  create a connection adapter.  e.g. see sqlite3_adapter in Rails 3

b)  create a visitor e.g.  Rails out of the box supports the following visitors:

Next, Rails have many NoSQL adapters including the following:

Riak
Redis
MongoDB
CouchDB
BigTable
and so on

Thus, it should be a matter of researching one of the examples above to produce a drop in replacement for ActiveRecord.

-Conrad

sent from the road

Re: MagLev 1.0 released, congrats to Gemstoners!

Charles Monteiro
extremely cool, I need to understand how those adapters work. I know that this the wrong thread for it but I wonder how  "pluggable" this all is. What I mean is this, say I had developed an app using standard Rails 3.x i.e. ActiveRecord and had thus used all the relationship descriptors that do the magic e.g. "belongsTo" and so forth, can I simply pop a couch db adapter ? If so how do we implement that in the case of an OO db i.e. ActiveRecord relied on the convention of setting up foreign keys (id).

Do you know of a spec to write these adapters? I guess Google is my friend :)

thanks

www.monteirosfusion.com
sent from the road

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Charles Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
extremely cool, I need to understand how those adapters work. I know that this the wrong thread for it but I wonder how  "pluggable" this all is. What I mean is this, say I had developed an app using standard Rails 3.x i.e. ActiveRecord and had thus used all the relationship descriptors that do the magic e.g. "belongsTo" and so forth, can I simply pop a couch db adapter ? If so how do we implement that in the case of an OO db i.e. ActiveRecord relied on the convention of setting up foreign keys (id).

Do you know of a spec to write these adapters? I guess Google is my friend :)

thanks

Charles, there's no spec.  However, you can consider the code of another adapter to be the specification.  I have looked at a few of them (i.e. NoSQL solutions) and they tend to follow a similar theme.  Next, NoSQL solutions are built outside of the ActiveRecord ecosystem and it's a good reason for doing so.  For example, it makes your model code fully documenting:

class Project
  include MongoMapper::Document

  key :name, String, :required => true
  key :priority, Integer

  many :tasks
end

I really like the fact that you're defining everything inline using a simple DSL.  BTW, I have done a simple podcast on Maglev which  provides an introduction which covers the building of a simple interface called MaglevModel:

I feel that Maglev could have one of the more natural models because it doesn't try to decompose a Ruby object into something that's different.  For example,

class Comment < ActiveRecord::Base

end

sent from the road

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:31 PM, Conrad Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ActiveRecord:

class Post < ActiveRecord::Base
  has_many :comments
end

Maglev:

class Comment

   include MaglevModel

   def initialize( arguments )
      @title = arguments[:title]
   end
end

class Post

   include MaglevModel

   attr_accessor :title, :body
   attr_reader :comments

   def initialize( arguments )
      @title = arguments[:title]
      @body = arguments[:body]
      @comments = []
   end

   def add_comment( title )
      @comments << Comment.new( title )
   end

end

I really like this way writing Ruby plus I don't have to deal with SQL joins.

-Conrad

[...]

Monty Williams-3
Charles,

How about using both Ruby and Smalltalk? Martin McClure gave a talk at ESUG 2011 called "Not-so-foreign functions: Calling Ruby from Smalltalk" where he demonstrated calling a Ruby Gem from Smalltalk. The Gem he used also a had native code extension.

Given that there are over 28,000 Ruby Gems, I hope some will be of use to Smalltalkers.

-- Monty

sent from the road

Re: MagLev 1.0 released, congrats to Gemstoners!

Charles Monteiro
Conrad:

This is starting to sink in i.e. how to use Maglev for persistency, what I"m unsure about is how to mix it with Rails i.e. can I just ignore ActiveRecord and combine MagLev with the rest of Rails ? i.e. does it all work ?