MagLev 1.0 released, congrats to Gemstoners!

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MagLev 1.0 released, congrats to Gemstoners!

Janko Mivšek
Hello all,

I just saw the great news that MagLev reached 1.0 and I like to
congratulate Gemstome guys for all work on that project, important for
us Smalltalkers as well!

http://maglev.github.com/

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: MagLev 1.0 released, congrats to Gemstoners!

Charles Monteiro
Indeed, to have Gemstone available to Ruby is a great thing if you can't work on ST i.e.  Ruby is not all that bad a place to be. My question though is what's a viable application for this? i.e. have you all thought about how to integrate this into a pre-existing Ruby app framework. For example, it seems that the Borges project (Ruby Seaside) is dead but that seems would have been a great candidate to use MagLev to provide persistence. Rails is coupled to RDMS , one can plug different frameworks e.g. ActiveRecord, DataMapper but its an RDMS thing.

-Charles

2011/11/3 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>
Hello all,

us Smalltalkers as well!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web

--
Charles A. Monteiro
www.monteirosfusion.com
sent from the road
Reply | Threaded
|

Conrad Taylor
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Charles Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
Indeed, to have Gemstone available to Ruby is a great thing if you can't work on ST i.e.  Ruby is not all that bad a place to be. My question though is what's a viable application for this? i.e. have you all thought about how to integrate this into a pre-existing Ruby app framework. For example, it seems that the Borges project (Ruby Seaside) is dead but that seems would have been a great candidate to use MagLev to provide persistence. Rails is coupled to RDMS , one can plug different frameworks e.g. ActiveRecord, DataMapper but its an RDMS thing.

-Charles

Charles, I spoke with two Rails core developers on the subject of using Maglev as a Rails datastore.  They said that one will need to do the following:

a)  create a connection adapter.  e.g. see sqlite3_adapter in Rails 3

b)  create a visitor e.g.  Rails out of the box supports the following visitors:

Next, Rails have many NoSQL adapters including the following:

Riak
Redis
MongoDB
CouchDB
BigTable
and so on

Thus, it should be a matter of researching one of the examples above to produce a drop in replacement for ActiveRecord.

-Conrad

Hello all,

us Smalltalkers as well!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web

--
Charles A. Monteiro
www.monteirosfusion.com
sent from the road

Reply | Threaded
|

Charles Monteiro
extremely cool, I need to understand how those adapters work. I know that this the wrong thread for it but I wonder how  "pluggable" this all is. What I mean is this, say I had developed an app using standard Rails 3.x i.e. ActiveRecord and had thus used all the relationship descriptors that do the magic e.g. "belongsTo" and so forth, can I simply pop a couch db adapter ? If so how do we implement that in the case of an OO db i.e. ActiveRecord relied on the convention of setting up foreign keys (id).

Do you know of a spec to write these adapters? I guess Google is my friend :)

thanks  

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:06 PM, Conrad Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

-Charles

Charles, I spoke with two Rails core developers on the subject of using Maglev as a Rails datastore.  They said that one will need to do the following:

b)  create a visitor e.g.  Rails out of the box supports the following visitors:

Riak
Redis
MongoDB
CouchDB
BigTable
and so on

Thus, it should be a matter of researching one of the examples above to produce a drop in replacement for ActiveRecord.

-Conrad

Hello all,

us Smalltalkers as well!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web

--
Charles A. Monteiro
www.monteirosfusion.com
sent from the road

--
Charles A. Monteiro
www.monteirosfusion.com
sent from the road
Reply | Threaded
|

Conrad Taylor
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Charles Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
extremely cool, I need to understand how those adapters work. I know that this the wrong thread for it but I wonder how  "pluggable" this all is. What I mean is this, say I had developed an app using standard Rails 3.x i.e. ActiveRecord and had thus used all the relationship descriptors that do the magic e.g. "belongsTo" and so forth, can I simply pop a couch db adapter ? If so how do we implement that in the case of an OO db i.e. ActiveRecord relied on the convention of setting up foreign keys (id).

thanks  

Charles, there's no spec.  However, you can consider the code of another adapter to be the specification.  I have looked at a few of them (i.e. NoSQL solutions) and they tend to follow a similar theme.  Next, NoSQL solutions are built outside of the ActiveRecord ecosystem and it's a good reason for doing so.  For example, it makes your model code fully documenting:

class Project
  include MongoMapper::Document

key :name, String, :required => true
  key :priority, Integer

many :tasks
end

I really like the fact that you're defining everything inline using a simple DSL.  BTW, I have done a simple podcast on Maglev which  provides an introduction which covers the building of a simple interface called MaglevModel:

I feel that Maglev could have one of the more natural models because it doesn't try to decompose a Ruby object into something that's different.  For example, 

class Comment < ActiveRecord::Base

end

-Charles

Riak
Redis
MongoDB
CouchDB
BigTable
and so on

-Conrad

Hello all,

us Smalltalkers as well!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web

--
Charles A. Monteiro
www.monteirosfusion.com
sent from the road

--
Charles A. Monteiro
www.monteirosfusion.com
sent from the road

Reply | Threaded
|

Conrad Taylor
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:31 PM, Conrad Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

thanks  

Charles, there's no spec.  However, you can consider the code of another adapter to be the specification.  I have looked at a few of them (i.e. NoSQL solutions) and they tend to follow a similar theme.  Next, NoSQL solutions are built outside of the ActiveRecord ecosystem and it's a good reason for doing so.  For example, it makes your model code fully documenting:

class Project

end

I really like the fact that you're defining everything inline using a simple DSL.  BTW, I have done a simple podcast on Maglev which  provides an introduction which covers the building of a simple interface called MaglevModel:

I feel that Maglev could have one of the more natural models because it doesn't try to decompose a Ruby object into something that's different.  For example, 

ActiveRecord: 

class Post < ActiveRecord::Base
  has_many :comments
end

Maglev:

class Comment

include MaglevModel

def initialize( arguments )
      @title = arguments[:title]
   end
end

class Post

include MaglevModel

attr_accessor :title, :body
   attr_reader :comments

@title = arguments[:title]
      @body = arguments[:body]
      @comments = []
   end

def add_comment( title )
      @comments << Comment.new( title )
   end

end

I really like this way writing Ruby plus I don't have to deal with SQL joins.

-Conrad

-Charles

Riak
Redis
MongoDB
CouchDB
BigTable
and so on

-Conrad

Hello all,

us Smalltalkers as well!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web

--
Charles A. Monteiro
www.monteirosfusion.com
sent from the road

--
Charles A. Monteiro
www.monteirosfusion.com
sent from the road

Reply | Threaded
|

Monty Williams-3
In reply to this post by Charles Monteiro
Charles,

How about using both Ruby and Smalltalk? Martin McClure gave a talk at ESUG 2011 called "Not-so-foreign functions: Calling Ruby from Smalltalk" where he demonstrated calling a Ruby Gem from Smalltalk. The Gem he used also a had native code extension.

Given that there are over 28,000 Ruby Gems, I hope some will be of use to Smalltalkers.

-- Monty

To: "GemStone Seaside beta discussion" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:19:28 AM
Subject: Re: [GS/SS Beta] MagLev 1.0 released, congrats to Gemstoners!

-Charles

Hello all,

us Smalltalkers as well!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web

--
Charles A. Monteiro
www.monteirosfusion.com
sent from the road

Reply | Threaded
|

Charles Monteiro
In reply to this post by Conrad Taylor
Conrad:

This is starting to sink in i.e. how to use Maglev for persistency, what I"m unsure about is how to mix it with Rails i.e. can I just ignore ActiveRecord and combine MagLev with the rest of Rails ? i.e. does it all work ?

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 11:45 PM, Conrad Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:31 PM, Conrad Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

thanks  

class Project

end

ActiveRecord: 

class Post < ActiveRecord::Base
  has_many :comments
end

Maglev:

class Comment

include MaglevModel

@title = arguments[:title]
   end
end

class Post

include MaglevModel

attr_accessor :title, :body
   attr_reader :comments

@title = arguments[:title]
      @body = arguments[:body]
      @comments = []
   end

def add_comment( title )
      @comments << Comment.new( title )
   end

end

I really like this way writing Ruby plus I don't have to deal with SQL joins.

-Conrad

-Charles

Riak
Redis
MongoDB
CouchDB
BigTable
and so on

-Conrad

Hello all,

us Smalltalkers as well!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web