Magma is the right choice?

fvozzi
Hi Chris, list,
I'm using magma for an application that I'm making (for fun) since 3 months ago. It's a web based (pharo + seaside) query system.
All is fine with magma and my model is going to be very object oriented and very clear. I'm happy of using magma but muncertainty it's about scaling and performance issues because It will start with 20000 customers and 100 transactions/year for each one.
The system is mainly for query of the commercial situation of each client. ¿You think that magma is suitable for this type of application?

Sorry my poor english.

Thanks in advance,
Facundo

ps: i'll test it with masive data input and query but it's important for me your opinion.

Re: Magma is the right choice?

Chris Muller-3
Hi Facundo,

    ((20000 * 100) / 365.0) =  5479.45205479452 "transactions" per day, average

So it "sounds" like light-duty, but of course it may not be.  How many
objects in a "transaction"?  At http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5606 you
can see,

  oneThousandElementArrayOfObjectsRead : 40.66985645933014 per second.

so if you need more than 40000 objects per second, I would say the
answer is "no".

But of course, this is just for one server, you might want to do HA
anyway if you are suporting that many customers.

It also depends on if you're running that old Cog on MY laptop:

Hardware Details:
        computer : Lenovo T60p
        cpu :  Intel Core2Duo
        speed :  2.0GHz
        memory :  2GB
        disk :  internal SATA

OS Details:
        osVersion : linux-gnu
        platformName : unix
        platformSubtype : i686

Vm Details:
        vmVersion : Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.11]

Which is why, and I hope you won't mind my saying; I normally don't
care to address these sorts of questions.  It depends on hundreds
variables, many of which are related to how the application is
written...

Before doing any load testing, I strongly recommend using the latest
code available on MagmaTester.

 - Chris

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Facundo Vozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Chris, list,
> I'm using magma for an application that I'm making (for fun) since 3 months
> ago. It's a web based (pharo + seaside) query system.
> All is fine with magma and my model is going to be very object oriented and
> very clear. I'm happy of using magma but my uncertainty it's about scaling
> and performance issues because It will start with 20000 customers and 100
> transactions/year for each one.
> The system is mainly for query of the commercial situation of each client.
> ¿You think that magma is suitable for this type of application?
> Sorry my poor english.
> Thanks in advance,
> Facundo
> ps: i'll test it with masive data input and query but it's important for me
> your opinion.

Re: Magma is the right choice?

fvozzi
Hi Chis,

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Facundo,

   ((20000 * 100) / 365.0) =  5479.45205479452 "transactions" per day, average

So it "sounds" like light-duty, but of course it may not be.

The potencial users of the system are commerces and they are going to be 100. 20000 customers / 100 commerces is an average of 200 customers by commerce. Each commerce could inform 100 times about their customers comercial status in a year.

 How many
objects in a "transaction"?  At http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5606 you
can see,

The "most important" transaction has 10 objects including dates and numbers.

 oneThousandElementArrayOfObjectsRead : 40.66985645933014 per second.

so if you need more than 40000 objects per second, I would say the
answer is "no".

No, I think that I'll not need more than 40000 objects per second.

But of course, this is just for one server, you might want to do HA
anyway if you are suporting that many customers.

It also depends on if you're running that old Cog on MY laptop:

Hardware Details:
       computer : Lenovo T60p
       cpu :  Intel Core2Duo
       speed :  2.0GHz
       memory :  2GB
       disk :  internal SATA

OS Details:
       osVersion : linux-gnu
       platformName : unix
       platformSubtype : i686

Vm Details:
       vmVersion : Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.11]

I have a similiar hardware scenary but I'm using Windows.

Which is why, and I hope you won't mind my saying; I normally don't
care to address these sorts of questions.  It depends on hundreds
variables, many of which are related to how the application is
written...

Yes, I know that and I thank you for answer.

Before doing any load testing, I strongly recommend using the latest
code available on MagmaTester.

I'm using Cog + Pharo 1.1 + Magma 1.1 (last version I think).

 - Chris

Thanks you again,
Facundo