Magma support (was: Magma/Pharo)

Chris Muller-4
The packages on Magma squeaksource are less than a month old, and I've
been gone for 13 days out the last 30..!!  These are the
latest-and-greatest version of Magma that Pharo users should be using.
 Plus you also pointed out the two verbal updates I put out on the
list about an official 1.2 release.

So I'm not sure what you mean by "quiet"?  Nor am I sure why you would
need me to tell you what's broken about Magma in Pharo, especially
when you acknowledged I don't use Pharo, but you do and had a problem
with the Metacello config.  If you think it will help, ok,  "Someone
from Pharo fix that," there you are.

Someone else asked if I could update the wiki to clarify something.
Let me just say, to those who are interested in Magma, I invite you to
integrate yourself into Magma development; fix the Metacello, update
the wiki, post helpful messages on the Magma mailing list instead of
just questions, etc.

I feel that I've demonstrated my mode of support, over years, to those
who engage me with Magma questions.  If you need more output, you've
got to give more input (or money).  If things are too "quiet" for you,
please subscribe to the Magma project so you will be notified when new
packages arrive.  Check the MC history, there were 11 versions of the
"Magma client" package in March, 2011, alone.

 - Chris

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Daniel Lyons <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2011, at 10:34 AM, Chris Muller wrote:
>
>> Magma is not yet supported on Pharo 1.2, but it is part of my plans to
>> do so.  In fact, I plan to look into it this month.
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/magma/2011-March/001747.html
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/magma/2011-February/001718.html
>
>> Please note that I expect Pharo to eventually produce resources
>> (developers or money) to assist with Magma support and upgrades as
>> Pharo becomes more and more divergent from Squeak in the future.
>

> I appreciate that you're busy and I can understand not wanting to maintain a port of your software to a platform you don't use, but as long as Magma development remains this quiet, what good will it do for Pharo to provide developers? If it were "hey, this piece is broken under Pharo, please someone from Pharo take a look at it," it would be a lot easier I think for people to get involved and help shoulder some of the burden. It is (or should be) much easier to get help when you ask for it than when you wish for it silently, looking into the void.
>
> I'm not an expert at Smalltalk or Pharo and *far* from being one in Magma, but I *am* a real programmer and I know how to fix bugs. Step one is knowing what they are.
>
> —
> Daniel Lyons

Re: Magma support (was: Magma/Pharo)

NorbertHartl
Chris,

I really appreciate what you do. Being a few years in this community I saw what you did on your own and that is pretty impressive. I'm also sad that I didn't have the opportunity yet to do magma work. I'm still just a lurker.
Regarding pharo there are plans to update the config and create a hudson build job on the pharo CI server. This raises the visibility of what is not working. Hopefully enough people will chime in and fix what isn't working.

Just to give my kudos to you,

Norbert