Magritte Installation broken?

Peter Kwangjun Suk
Hello,

I'm trying to go through Chapter 25 of the Seaside Book (Magritte) and
my image has neither Object>>asComponent nor any implementer of
#asComponentOn:.  As a result, the Address example on page 366 blows
up.  What happened?

--Peter

--
There's neither heaven not hell,
save what we grant ourselves.

Re: Magritte Installation broken?

Peter Kwangjun Suk
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Peter Kwangjun Suk
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to go through Chapter 25 of the Seaside Book (Magritte) and
> my image has neither Object>>asComponent nor any implementer of
> #asComponentOn:.  As a result, the Address example on page 366 blows
> up.  What happened?

Found it.  Magritte-Seaside needed to be loaded separately.  Wow,
that's pretty painful for a problem in a tutorial!  If it causes
consternation with a VisualWorks veteran in Pharo, then it's going to
kill the tutorial for a web developer Smalltalk newbie.

--Peter

--
There's neither heaven not hell,
save what we grant ourselves.
There's neither fairness nor justice,
save what we grant each other.

Re: Magritte Installation broken?

Lukas Renggli
>> I'm trying to go through Chapter 25 of the Seaside Book (Magritte) and
>> my image has neither Object>>asComponent nor any implementer of
>> #asComponentOn:.  As a result, the Address example on page 366 blows
>> up.  What happened?
>
> Found it.  Magritte-Seaside needed to be loaded separately.  Wow,
> that's pretty painful for a problem in a tutorial!  If it causes
> consternation with a VisualWorks veteran in Pharo, then it's going to
> kill the tutorial for a web developer Smalltalk newbie.

If you use ConfigurationOfMagritte or one of the ready made images you
should get Magritte-Seaside automatically.

Magritte also works in VisualWorks, so you might want to try it there
if you feel more comfortable with that platform.

For instructions on how to load on the various platforms see
<http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/magritte>.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you use ConfigurationOfMagritte or one of the ready made images you
> should get Magritte-Seaside automatically.

I also have the Seaside one-click experience (3.0.4) and it exhibited
the exact same behavior as Pharo-1.1.1-one-click after doing the load
of Seaside then Magritte.  If someone can give me a pointer to the
mechanism that should have loaded Magritte-Seaside, I can take a look
at what's going on in my images.  (But without that, I can't spare the
time to dig in, as I'm kind of in a sprint.)

--Peter