[Magritte] Persistence for descriptions

Humber Aquino
Hi everyone.. i'm new in the Squeak/Seaside/Magritte world.. and i really like it

I thinks it's great the work you people are doing and eventually i would like to contribute in any way..

In the meantime i'm trying to use Seaside/Magritte for some projects, but i have a newbie question..

how can i implement persistence in Magritte in a simple way? Saving to the image? How often? Is this safe enought?

Thanks in advance

Humber

Re: [Magritte] Persistence for descriptions

stephane ducasse
welcome!

> Hi everyone.. i'm new in the Squeak/Seaside/Magritte world.. and i
> really like it

Cool!

> I thinks it's great the work you people are doing and eventually i
> would like to contribute in any way..

Excellente there are plenty of things to do and have fun with.

> In the meantime i'm trying to use Seaside/Magritte for some
> projects, but i have a newbie question..
>
> how can i implement persistence in Magritte in a simple way? Saving
> to the image? How often? Is this safe enought?

usually for a snapshot you should save multiple of them with
different name 01 02 10.
This is safe but some people are working on a database back end using
Magma. Esug is also trying to get a XML back end (but
so far nothing there).

Impara pubslihed in their source a back end for XML.

> Thanks in advance
>
> Humber

Re: [Magritte] Persistence for descriptions

Humber Aquino
Thanks for the reply Stephane!

I tried magma a little bit and looks great! Does it work with a 3.9g-7057 image? I know i does with 3.8.

And if i just want to save the image periodically in the background? How can this be done?
Is there a working recipe?

Thanks!

On 9/25/06, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
welcome!

> Hi everyone.. i'm new in the Squeak/Seaside/Magritte world.. and i
> really like it

Cool!

> I thinks it's great the work you people are doing and eventually i
> would like to contribute in any way..

Excellente there are plenty of things to do and have fun with.

> In the meantime i'm trying to use Seaside/Magritte for some
> projects, but i have a newbie question..
>
> how can i implement persistence in Magritte in a simple way? Saving
> to the image? How often? Is this safe enought?

usually for a snapshot you should save multiple of them with
different name 01 02 10.
This is safe but some people are working on a database back end using
Magma. Esug is also trying to get a XML back end (but
so far nothing there).

Impara pubslihed in their source a back end for XML.

> Thanks in advance
>
> Humber

Re: Re: [Magritte] Persistence for descriptions

Lukas Renggli
> I tried magma a little bit and looks great! Does it work with a 3.9g-7057
> image? I know i does with 3.8.

There is also GOODS that is quite easy to use and that a lot of
Seasiders are using. It is a bit slow for huge amounts of objects
though.

There are several Web sites that discuss the advantages and
disadvantages of different persistency mechanisms in Squeak:

http://www.visoracle.com/squeakfaq/persistency_.html

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Magritte] Persistence for descriptions

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 03:06:57PM -0400, Humber Aquino wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Stephane!
>
> I tried magma a little bit and looks great! Does it work with a
> 3.9g-7057image? I know i does with
> 3.8.
>
> And if i just want to save the image periodically in the background? How can
> this be done?
> Is there a working recipe?

"UnixProcess saveImageInBackgroundNicely"

Requires SqueakMap->OSProcess

Dave

Re: [Magritte] Persistence for descriptions

Humber Aquino
Thanks everyone.. i'll try all the alternatives to see what fits in my case.
I'll try to put this little project on seasidehosting as soon as posible.  :D