Magritte-ROE for gst?

Nicolas Petton
Hi,

I would like to port Magritte-roe for gst.

Before I start, I would like to know if there are any dependencies to
PostgreSQL.

I know roe only works with PGsql on squeak, but the gst version has
support for other sqls. I saw some 'pg_*' in the sql requests, but as I
don't know PGsql, I don't know if that matters.

Cheers!

Nicolas

Re: Magritte-ROE for gst?

Lukas Renggli
> Before I start, I would like to know if there are any dependencies to
> PostgreSQL.

It looks like Magritte-ROE has some hardcoded PostgreSQL dependencies.
However since the package is really minimal, only 3 classes and a few
methods it shouldn't be hard to change. I only put that together to
quickly dump and load some objects into a database that were Magritte
described, it does not do anything sophisticated.

> I know roe only works with PGsql on squeak, but the gst version has
> support for other sqls. I saw some 'pg_*' in the sql requests, but as I
> don't know PGsql, I don't know if that matters.

Yeah, these are the meta-tables of PostgreSQL that describe the schema.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Magritte-ROE for gst?

Nicolas Petton
Le dimanche 26 avril 2009 à 11:58 +0200, Lukas Renggli a écrit :
> > Before I start, I would like to know if there are any dependencies to
> > PostgreSQL.
>
> It looks like Magritte-ROE has some hardcoded PostgreSQL dependencies.
> However since the package is really minimal, only 3 classes and a few
> methods it shouldn't be hard to change. I only put that together to
> quickly dump and load some objects into a database that were Magritte
> described, it does not do anything sophisticated.

Does it mean that there are known limitations? If so, should I consider
using another Magritte extension to use it with SQL?

Nicolas

> > I know roe only works with PGsql on squeak, but the gst version has
> > support for other sqls. I saw some 'pg_*' in the sql requests, but as I
> > don't know PGsql, I don't know if that matters.
>
> Yeah, these are the meta-tables of PostgreSQL that describe the schema.
>
> Lukas

Re: Magritte-ROE for gst?

Lukas Renggli
> Does it mean that there are known limitations? If so, should I consider
> using another Magritte extension to use it with SQL?

Magritte-ROE was designed (or rather quickly put together) for a
particular use-case (Magritte objects should be read from and dumped
into a PostgreSQL). When I wrote it, I did not have the time to do
anything more than I needed.

So what I am trying to say is that Magritte-ROE might not work for
your requirements, but it should be fairly easy to adapt to about
anything ;-)

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli