Magritte Tutorial - MAPersonEditor

Chad Nantais-2
I've called a MAPersonEditor from my WATask, but pressing "Save" in
the editor does not seem to answer to the task.  Do I need to override
a save message or something?

Thanks,

Chad

Re: Magritte Tutorial - MAPersonEditor

Chad Nantais-2
Nevermind that last message.  I was overcomplicating the problem.  All
I had to do was change my change one method in my task.

(from this)
getPerson
        ^ self call:
                (MAPersonEditor new)

(to this)
getPerson
        ^self call: (MAPersonModel new asComponent
                addValidatedForm;
                yourself).

A very simple, time-saving solution.  Plus, didn't need to use the
MAPersonEditor.

I can see Magritte being a big help when building a questionnaire or
survey application which involves many input forms.

Cheers,

Chad

On 3/6/06, Chad Nantais <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've called a MAPersonEditor from my WATask, but pressing "Save" in
> the editor does not seem to answer to the task.  Do I need to override
> a save message or something?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chad

Re: Magritte Tutorial - MAPersonEditor

Lukas Renggli-2
Hi Chad,

welcome to the list and thanks for answering your question ;-)

> getPerson
> ^self call: (MAPersonModel new asComponent
> addValidatedForm;
> yourself).

Indeed you have to use Seaside decorations to add a validation-
handler and a form handler. This allows to customize those two
aspects, say if you want multiple Magritte components within one
form, different button labels, different button actions, different
error handling, etc.

> I can see Magritte being a big help when building a questionnaire or
> survey application which involves many input forms.

Certainly, but there are many more thing you can do: building
reports, reflecting about model objects, letting users build their
own forms from custom descriptions, ...

Letting users customize descriptions can be done like ...

model := MAScaffolder description: MAPersonModel description.
model asComponent
        -> an editor onto the model-object
model description asComponent
        -> an editor onto the description (meta-model)

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Magritte Tutorial - MAPersonEditor

Damien Cassou-3
Chad Nantais a écrit :

> Nevermind that last message.  I was overcomplicating the problem.  All
> I had to do was change my change one method in my task.
>
> (from this)
> getPerson
> ^ self call:
> (MAPersonEditor new)
>
> (to this)
> getPerson
> ^self call: (MAPersonModel new asComponent
> addValidatedForm;
> yourself).

For those who has not understand why the first won't work:

In fact, MAPersonEditor is just a demo to see how easily one can
describe a model and have the component updated. MAPersonEditor should
_not_ be used in another application as it never returns the modified
models.

--
Damien Cassou