Magritte from Cincom public repository

Miguel Sanchez
Hi,

I'm wrestling with ideas for a prototyping platform (ultimately possibly production platform) using Seaside and possibly Gemstone as an object store. I'm new to Smalltalk so I'm wrestling with great number of concepts to start with. I've recently been working through the Seaside book and the section on Magritte look very interesting. I'm working with VisualWorks 7.7 and when I try to load the package of the Public store I get a number of errors and it seems to do a partial load of the Magritte classes (I have packages created and some methods injected in existing classes.)

My questions are the following.

1. Is Magritte actively maintained to a point where it's usable ?
2. Does anyone have experience with loading MagritteForVisualWorks from the cincom public repository (I have turned off atomic loads)?

Best Regards,

Miguel

Re: Magritte from Cincom public repository

Lukas Renggli
> 1. Is Magritte actively maintained to a point where it's usable ?

Sure, Magritte is actively maintained in Pharo Smalltalk, and
regularly ported to GemStone, VisualWorks, and GST. I and many other
people have used it in dozens of commercial application.

> 2. Does anyone have experience with loading MagritteForVisualWorks from the
> cincom public repository (I have turned off atomic loads)?

I don't know the status on VisualWorks. It should work, I know a
couple of projects that use it.

Also check out the work of Gerhard on Scaffolding
<http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/ScaffoldingGS.html>. This builds on
top of Magritte and runs on GemStone and Pharo. It sounds somehow
similar to what intend to do.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli