Magritte on Gemstone install instructions

Magritte on Gemstone install instructions

GLASS mailing list
Hi,

On https://github.com/magritte-metamodel/magritte, the GemStone
installation instructions currently point to
http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/magritte.html.
 From what I have seen on there, they should probably point to
http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Magritte/Magritte3/main/ instead. Is that
correct?

Regards
- Iwan

--
Reahl, the Python only web framework: http://www.reahl.org

Re: Magritte on Gemstone install instructions

GLASS mailing list
Iwan,

If you have information to contribute about installing and running
Magritte with GemStone I would appreciate it if you would share that
information on the GsDevKitHome project page[1] via pull request ...
Note that that page is on the dev branch ...

Thanks,

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/tree/dev/projects/magritte3

On 02/09/2015 18:04, Dale Henrichs via Glass wrote:
> If you have information to contribute about installing and running
> Magritte with GemStone I would appreciate it if you would share that
> information on the GsDevKitHome project page[1] via pull request ...
> Note that that page is on the dev branch ...

Sure, as soon as I understand enough myself. I am a bit lost currently
between different repos and different flavours and installation
instructions :-)

Somehow I expect installation instructions for Magritte in terms of
Metacello/Gofer because our infrastructure and CI servers have been
built around those mechanisms. On the GsDevKitHome project page I see
shell scripts and environment variables and doing things from scratch...
which I will have to study for half a day before I know how to do the
same in our current infrastructure. (Right now my priority is Magritte
and making sure we give feedback re bugs and enhancements in the right
place, and about the correct Magritte code base.)

BTW, I'd love to play with tODE also... and somehow the quickest path
there would be for me to also install the client in a Pharo image (which
I already have) via Metacello.

So, those are the sort of instructions I am looking for...

Regards
- Iwan

On 9/2/15 11:04 PM, Iwan Vosloo via Glass wrote:
> On 02/09/2015 18:04, Dale Henrichs via Glass wrote:
>> If you have information to contribute about installing and running
>> Magritte with GemStone I would appreciate it if you would share that
>> information on the GsDevKitHome project page[1] via pull request ...
>> Note that that page is on the dev branch ...
>
> Sure, as soon as I understand enough myself. I am a bit lost currently
> between different repos and different flavours and installation
> instructions :-)
I'm sorry:) You haven't mentioned which version of GemStone you are
using or how long you have been using GemStone so I assumed that you
followed the instructions on the README[1] to install GemStone. I am
curious as to which version of GLASS/GemStone you are using. Are you
using Seaside?

I have been making significant changes to the supporting infrastructure
for GLASS/GsDevKit to make creating/managing multiple stones a bit
easier for newcomers and while that work is ongoing not all of the bits
and pieces are complete ...

To load Magritte into GemStone, the following expression should load the
latest 3.2 release of Magritte3 into the most recent version of GLASS[2]
running any version of GemStone:

   Metacello new
     configuration: 'Magritte3';
     version: #release3.2;
     repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Magritte/Magritte3/main';
     load: "The packages or groups that you are interested in"

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/blob/master/README.md
[2] https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsUpgrader#gsupgrader-classupgradeglass1

> Somehow I expect installation instructions for Magritte in terms of
> Metacello/Gofer because our infrastructure and CI servers have been
> built around those mechanisms. On the GsDevKitHome project page I see
> shell scripts and environment variables and doing things from
> scratch... which I will have to study for half a day before I know how
> to do the same in our current infrastructure.
gsDevKitHome and tODE have been aimed at providing that kind of support
"out of the box" without gsDevKitHome each developer has had to build
their own supporting scripts.
> (Right now my priority is Magritte and making sure we give feedback re
> bugs and enhancements in the right place, and about the correct
> Magritte code base.)
I used #release3.2 above, because I believe that it is functional (unit
tests passing), but if you are interested in using the latest then
perhaps #release3 (?) would be a better choice.

> BTW, I'd love to play with tODE also... and somehow the quickest path
> there would be for me to also install the client in a Pharo image
> (which I already have) via Metacello.

If you are interested in learning about tODE I encourage you to use the
development branch of gsDevKitHome and follow these instructions[3] (the
earlier link was for the master branch of gsDevKitHome). I have another
structural change in the works (separating out the tODE Client
scripts/structure from the server) but the basic functionality is pretty
compete.

Creating a tODE Pharo image is part of the installation process, so the
`installServer` script mentioned in the README[3] will create everything
for you including a running stone with tODE loaded...

I will appreciate your feedback ... and I want to help where I can with
Magritte.

Dale

[3]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/tree/dev#open-source-development-kit-for-gemstones-64-bit-

On 03/09/2015 17:51, Dale Henrichs via Glass wrote:
> I'm sorry:) You haven't mentioned which version of GemStone you are
> using or how long you have been using GemStone so I assumed that you
> followed the instructions on the README[1] to install GemStone. I am
> curious as to which version of GLASS/GemStone you are using. Are you
> using Seaside?
Apologies Dale, we're on 3.2.6 on 64bit Linux and also Seaside 3.1.4. I
worked with GemStone about 15 years ago... but that probably does not
count all that much anymore :-). I have recently started working on an
established project using this stack again (Seaside I know somewhat, but
things like Magritte and Metacello are fairly new still).  What's
happened here is that people often added methods (or changed methods) on
infrastructural stuff like Magritte to get to a desired effect without
necessarily understanding the frameworks in question and the impact of
such changes. This is now a bit painful, so I am trying to get things
back to the established versions out there... and will also bug this
list with additions I'd rather contribute upstream than cobble together
in the dark...

> To load Magritte into GemStone, the following expression should load
> the latest 3.2 release of Magritte3 into the most recent version of
> GLASS[2] running any version of GemStone:
>
>   Metacello new
>     configuration: 'Magritte3';
>     version: #release3.2;
>     repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Magritte/Magritte3/main';
>     load: "The packages or groups that you are interested in"

Ah, great. Thanks. That confirms for me that we are using the correct
repository, and that the bug I suspect really must exist.

> gsDevKitHome and tODE have been aimed at providing that kind of
> support "out of the box" without gsDevKitHome each developer has had
> to build their own supporting scripts.

I figured... We have a CI which builds stones and pharo images for us,
we just fetch from there. So, if a developer wants to add something
different you have to make it fit. Monticello seems to be the easiest
way to deal with loading packages into a pre-existing image/stone -
hence my focus there.

>> (Right now my priority is Magritte and making sure we give feedback
>> re bugs and enhancements in the right place, and about the correct
>> Magritte code base.)
> I used #release3.2 above, because I believe that it is functional
> (unit tests passing), but if you are interested in using the latest
> then perhaps #release3 (?) would be a better choice.

I checked releases 3.1, 3.2 and 3.5 and they all have the same problem.
Magritte-Model adds:

NumberParser>>isNumber:
| stream |
     stream := aStringOrStream readStream.
     NumberParser parse: stream onError: [ ^ false ].
     ^ stream atEnd

Trouble is parse:onError: should be called on a subclass of NumberParser
in GemStone as it eventually hits something that calls self
subclassResponsibility. (Sorry, don't have the exact code in front of me
now.)

But the bug baffles me: I wonder how others get past in on GemStone?
Either I am missing something simple here or everyone does what we did:
just supply our own method...

> If you are interested in learning about tODE I encourage you to use
> the development branch of gsDevKitHome and follow these
> instructions[3] (the earlier link was for the master branch of
> gsDevKitHome). I have another structural change in the works
> (separating out the tODE Client scripts/structure from the server) but
> the basic functionality is pretty compete.
>
> Creating a tODE Pharo image is part of the installation process, so
> the `installServer` script mentioned in the README[3] will create
> everything for you including a running stone with tODE loaded...
>
> I will appreciate your feedback ... and I want to help where I can
> with Magritte.

Thanks Dale, when not developing in Pharo we're using Gemtools and have
all kinds of issues with it - I'd personally feel better if we can JUST
stick to GemStone for dev as well. That's where my interest in tODE
comes from.

Regards
- Iwan

--