Magritte validations may weaken domain model

Magritte validations may weaken domain model

fstephany
Hi all,

I'm reading the chapter on magritte in the seaside book and found this
in section 24.5 :

"There are advantages to having your rules outside your domain objects,
[...snip...] Still you have to pay attention since it may weaken your
domain model."

Any pointer to a discussion about the pro/cons of this approach ?
Nothing important, I'm just curious to know...

Cheers,
Francois

Re: Magritte validations may weaken domain model

Lukas Renggli
On 2 April 2010 22:10, Francois Stephany <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm reading the chapter on magritte in the seaside book and found this in
> section 24.5 :
>
> "There are advantages to having your rules outside your domain objects,
> [...snip...] Still you have to pay attention since it may weaken your domain
> model."

What this means is that it might be better to put the validation
directly into your model.

    MyModel>>isValid
        ^ some complicated condition

Generally there is a trade-off between putting the domain validation
into the model or into the meta-model (as with about anything that can
be part of the meta-model). If you put it into the model it is closer
to the data and behavior and might be easier for people not accustomed
to meta-models; if you put it into the meta-model it is more generic
and can potentially be reused and extended for different models.

Sort of as a workaround you can call the meta-model to do the
validation from the model. Something like:

    MyModel>>isValid
         ^ self description isSatisfiedBy: self

Lukas

> Any pointer to a discussion about the pro/cons of this approach ?
> Nothing important, I'm just curious to know...
>
> Cheers,
> Francois

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch