Maintaining a deployed image

sergio_101
Hey, all..

I have just deployed an application in Alpha. But it shouldn’t take much time to get to the final stage..

I just have a few questions:

- How do I go about keeping the deployed image up to date. I have used iceberg for this project, and am wondering if I might have to switch to monticello to do this easily. what I would like to do is use TelePharo to remote into my running image and update to the latest code version. It looks like there is a problem with TelePharo right now.
- I liked the idea of using PharoCloud, but I can’t seem to get my image running over there. I can’t even log in, so it scares me a little bit to run my whole app there. trying to log in, i get: 'MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "doSemanticAnalysisIn:" is nil Your request could not be completed. An exception occurred.’
- How feasible is it to keep one image up and running on my production platform. It kind of looks like I might have to maintain a production image on my local machine and sync it to the production server.
- is it possible to store the session variables that are usually in the path in the cookie? I would like to make the URL shareable, and savable.

For those interested, the app does the following:

- Tracks all bands played on Bagel Radio on SomaFM
- Uses the BandsInTown API to track all shows related to all bands
- Allows the user to input their zip code, and a distance radius.
- Get a listing of all concerts in that radius

The reasoning behind this is that Bagel plays alot of up and coming and sometimes obscure artists. The followers of the station tend to attend live shows, but keeping track of such things is almost impossible. This app makes it effortless to make sure something really neat coming to town isn’t missed.

you can check it out here:

Thanks!

----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Re: Maintaining a deployed image

Tim Mackinnon
Actually 12345 gives a result… ;)

Might be nice to get a hyperlink to see more about the band… but congratulations, you’ve got a viable app up and running.

On 11 Feb 2019, at 10:44, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Pierce Ng-3
On Sat, Feb 09, 2019 at 08:12:29PM -0800, sergio ruiz wrote:
> - How do I go about keeping the deployed image up to date. I have used
> iceberg for this project, and am wondering if I might have to switch to
> monticello to do this easily. what I would like to do is use TelePharo to
> remote into my running image and update to the latest code version. It
> looks like there is a problem with TelePharo right now.

Previously, I prepare a image with new code, then upload the image and
restart the application. The image ran RFB server so I could connect for
troubleshooting if necessary.

Nowadays, I use Docker: Prepare a Pharo image, then build a Docker image
from the Pharo VM, Pharo image and any other necessary artefacts.

Basic idea is to treat all deployed images as disposable. When releasing
new code or fixes, create and deploy a new image, discarding the old
image. With good version control, you can always recreate a Pharo image
of any version of your code.

> - How feasible is it to keep one image up and running on my production
> platform. It kind of looks like I might have to maintain a production image
> on my local machine and sync it to the production server.

I run Pharo -vm-display-null -vm-sound-null but it is not really
headless because I want the option of deploying an image with RFBServer.
It consumes ~4% CPU. I believe true headless mode will use less CPU at
rest.

With Docker, the production image is first tested locally then
deployed to production.

> http://www.bagelconcertfinder.com

Cool! I recognize Bootstrap. :-)

Pierce

Re: Maintaining a deployed image

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:44:57AM +0000, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> What???s a valid zip code to see some results??? I was intrigued to see what you had done, but for those of us on the other side of the world I???m guessing it won???t find any results.

48103 is a valid zip code for Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA.

Google maps can help. Click on any interesting thing on the map,
and it should show you the street address and zip code.

Dave

Re: Maintaining a deployed image

sergio_101
To get some results, try using my zip code:

44805 at 75 mile radius..

but this is a VERY good point..

I know there are international listing in my database, I just need to figure out a way to reliably geocode these.

Currently, I am using a Mathematica API that I wrote. At first, this API was just a quick method to get up and running.

I might switch to a different API (google?) if the input makes more sense to all users.

ZipCode was just easy, as it let me focus on the rest of the problem space..

Thanks!

On February 11, 2019 at 5:44:26 AM, Tim Mackinnon ([hidden email]) wrote:

What’s a valid zip code to see some results… I was intrigued to see what you had done, but for those of us on the other side of the world I’m guessing it won’t find any results.
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Re: Maintaining a deployed image

sergio_101
Yes!

This is next on the list of tasks, along with a link to purchase tickets..

On February 11, 2019 at 5:49:24 AM, Tim Mackinnon ([hidden email]) wrote:

Might be nice to get a hyperlink to see more about the band… but congratulations, you’ve got a viable app up and running.
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Re: Maintaining a deployed image

sergio_101
This is hosted on digital ocean, with the code being hosted on github..

I would love to see an example of what you are doing. do you have something you can post?

What I am doing is:

- pull changes into my production image.
- run tests
- rsync my Pharo.image and Pharo.changes
- restart pharo on my host

On February 11, 2019 at 5:52:44 AM, Tim Mackinnon ([hidden email]) wrote:

You didn’t mention where you are hosting this - but when I asked around I was pointed towards DigitalOcean - and I simply redeploy the app from a script on GitLab (triggered from a Git commit), after it has finished loading the code into a fresh image, and running some tests, it ssh’es it up and restarts the server. For smaller apps, this is probably ok (but it does mean that if someone is mid session - they will lose their query.
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Re: Maintaining a deployed image

sergio_101

Previously, I prepare a image with new code, then upload the image and
restart the application. The image ran RFB server so I could connect for
troubleshooting if necessary.

i used to use RFB server.. but then I couldn’t find a working RFB server anymore..

do you have a link to one?

Nowadays, I use Docker: Prepare a Pharo image, then build a Docker image
from the Pharo VM, Pharo image and any other necessary artefacts.

I use docker in my day gig for lots of stuff..

Is there a quick and dirty overview of creating a docker of my pharo image? this would save ALOT of time.

Cool! I recognize Bootstrap. :-)

yes! i am NOT a front end developer.. well, i should say, i am NOT a designer.. hahah

Thanks!

----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Re: Maintaining a deployed image

sergio_101
Ann Arbor!

I have played there before! The Elbow Room and The Ark...

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 07:10:10AM -0800, sergio ruiz wrote:
> i used to use RFB server.. but then I couldn’t find a working RFB server
> anymore..

The version on STH works with Pharo 7, except for the UI which has been
broken since long time.

  http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~PharoExtras/RFB

> Is there a quick and dirty overview of creating a docker of my pharo image?
> this would save ALOT of time.

My blog post:

  https://www.samadhiweb.com/blog/2018.09.09.docker.html

Pierce

Re: Maintaining a deployed image

David T. Lewis
Well then, I hope you come back! http://theark.org/ is a short walk
from my house, and I would be happy to buy you a beer :-)

Dave

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 07:11:49AM -0800, sergio ruiz wrote:

> Ann Arbor!
>
> I have played there before! The Elbow Room and The Ark...
>
> On February 11, 2019 at 8:34:51 AM, David T. Lewis ([hidden email])
> wrote:
>

> 48103 is a valid zip code for Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA.
>
> ----
> peace,
> sergio
> photographer, journalist, visionary
>
> Public Key: http://bit.ly/29z9fG0
> #BitMessage BM-NBaswViL21xqgg9STRJjaJaUoyiNe2dV
> http://www.codeandmusic.com
> http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
> http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: Maintaining a deployed image

John Pfersich
Cool app, but very incomplete for Las Vegas. Bandsintown only has listings for about 4 venues in Vegas. There are over 100 venues in Vegas. I go to 15-20 concerts a year.