Maintaining paths with File Libraries

jtuchel
Hi,

back when Seaside was invented, you only needed a hand ful of js and css
files. Nowadays, you need a lot of them, like if you use a more complex
jQuery Plugin or tools like CodeMirror etc.

Most of these consist not only of a bunch of files, but deploy with some
subdirectories like /lib, /css, /modes etc.

What I'd like to do is this: for development and maybe even test
environments, I'd like to put such a tool into its own WAFileLibrary
subclass which serves subdirectories. This way, it is very simple to
replace the FileLibrary with real files on a production machine.
Another pro is that most of these tools are coded in a way that they
expect a certain directory structure, so they import files from their
/bin subdir by default. If you need to change this, you have to change
the .js sources. I'd like to avoid this.

So there are teh following goals I want to achieve:

* keep all files of a tool like CodeMirror in one FileLibrary
* keep the suggested directory structure as it is suggested by the tool
* thus make updating easier
* server files from "subdirectories" of the FileLibrary

So far, I couldn't find anything that would allow me to make a
WAFileLibrary behave like a directory with subdirectories, like this

/myTool
     + /modes
     + / styles

With one common start path for the whole structure (bas URL).

Did I overlook something?

Joachim

Re: Maintaining paths with File Libraries

John McKeon
I think the SeaBreeze project achieved this. They used the TinyMCE editor which has such a folder heirarchy.  It might be worth a look..

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 5:01 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

back when Seaside was invented, you only needed a hand ful of js and css files. Nowadays, you need a lot of them, like if you use a more complex jQuery Plugin or tools like CodeMirror etc.

Re: Maintaining paths with File Libraries

Udo Schneider
Hi Joachim,

IMHO most of your requirements are already addressed by
"WAAbstractFileLibrary".
Quite handy if you need to import deeply nested framework directory
structures. I learned about it when taking a look at Thorsten's
Bootstrap project. And I'm loving it since then - WAAbstractFileLibrary
and the wrapper :-)

CU,

Udo

On 12.10.14 11:01, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> back when Seaside was invented, you only needed a hand ful of js and css
> files. Nowadays, you need a lot of them, like if you use a more complex
> jQuery Plugin or tools like CodeMirror etc.
>
> Most of these consist not only of a bunch of files, but deploy with some
> subdirectories like /lib, /css, /modes etc.
>
> What I'd like to do is this: for development and maybe even test
> environments, I'd like to put such a tool into its own WAFileLibrary
> subclass which serves subdirectories. This way, it is very simple to
> replace the FileLibrary with real files on a production machine.
> Another pro is that most of these tools are coded in a way that they
> expect a certain directory structure, so they import files from their
> /bin subdir by default. If you need to change this, you have to change
> the .js sources. I'd like to avoid this.
>
> So there are teh following goals I want to achieve:
>
> * keep all files of a tool like CodeMirror in one FileLibrary
> * keep the suggested directory structure as it is suggested by the tool
> * thus make updating easier
> * server files from "subdirectories" of the FileLibrary
>
> So far, I couldn't find anything that would allow me to make a
> WAFileLibrary behave like a directory with subdirectories, like this
>
> /myTool
>      + /modes
>      + / styles
>
> With one common start path for the whole structure (bas URL).
>
> Did I overlook something?
>
> Joachim

Re: Maintaining paths with File Libraries

jtuchel
Hi Udo,

I guess you were speaking of WAMetafileLibrary. Seems like that's
exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for answering

Joachim

Am 12.10.14 um 15:52 schrieb Udo Schneider:

> Hi Joachim,
>
> IMHO most of your requirements are already addressed by
> "WAAbstractFileLibrary".
> Quite handy if you need to import deeply nested framework directory
> structures. I learned about it when taking a look at Thorsten's
> Bootstrap project. And I'm loving it since then -
> WAAbstractFileLibrary and the wrapper :-)
>
> CU,
>
> Udo
>

> On 12.10.14 11:01, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> back when Seaside was invented, you only needed a hand ful of js and css
>> files. Nowadays, you need a lot of them, like if you use a more complex
>> jQuery Plugin or tools like CodeMirror etc.
>>
>> Most of these consist not only of a bunch of files, but deploy with some
>> subdirectories like /lib, /css, /modes etc.
>>
>> What I'd like to do is this: for development and maybe even test
>> environments, I'd like to put such a tool into its own WAFileLibrary
>> subclass which serves subdirectories. This way, it is very simple to
>> replace the FileLibrary with real files on a production machine.
>> Another pro is that most of these tools are coded in a way that they
>> expect a certain directory structure, so they import files from their
>> /bin subdir by default. If you need to change this, you have to change
>> the .js sources. I'd like to avoid this.
>>
>> So there are teh following goals I want to achieve:
>>
>> * keep all files of a tool like CodeMirror in one FileLibrary
>> * keep the suggested directory structure as it is suggested by the tool
>> * thus make updating easier
>> * server files from "subdirectories" of the FileLibrary
>>
>> So far, I couldn't find anything that would allow me to make a
>> WAFileLibrary behave like a directory with subdirectories, like this
>>
>> /myTool
>>      + /modes
>>      + / styles
>>
>> With one common start path for the whole structure (bas URL).
>>
>> Did I overlook something?
>>
>> Joachim

Re: Maintaining paths with File Libraries

jtuchel
I meant WAFileMetadataLibrary of course ;-)

Am 12.10.14 um 16:25 schrieb [hidden email]:

> Hi Udo,
>
> I guess you were speaking of WAMetafileLibrary. Seems like that's
> exactly what I was looking for.
>
> Thanks for answering
>
> Joachim
>
> Am 12.10.14 um 15:52 schrieb Udo Schneider:
>> Hi Joachim,
>>
>> IMHO most of your requirements are already addressed by
>> "WAAbstractFileLibrary".
>> Quite handy if you need to import deeply nested framework directory
>> structures. I learned about it when taking a look at Thorsten's
>> Bootstrap project. And I'm loving it since then -
>> WAAbstractFileLibrary and the wrapper :-)
>>
>> CU,
>>
>> Udo
>>

>> On 12.10.14 11:01, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> back when Seaside was invented, you only needed a hand ful of js and
>>> css
>>> files. Nowadays, you need a lot of them, like if you use a more complex
>>> jQuery Plugin or tools like CodeMirror etc.
>>>
>>> Most of these consist not only of a bunch of files, but deploy with
>>> some
>>> subdirectories like /lib, /css, /modes etc.
>>>
>>> What I'd like to do is this: for development and maybe even test
>>> environments, I'd like to put such a tool into its own WAFileLibrary
>>> subclass which serves subdirectories. This way, it is very simple to
>>> replace the FileLibrary with real files on a production machine.
>>> Another pro is that most of these tools are coded in a way that they
>>> expect a certain directory structure, so they import files from their
>>> /bin subdir by default. If you need to change this, you have to change
>>> the .js sources. I'd like to avoid this.
>>>
>>> So there are teh following goals I want to achieve:
>>>
>>> * keep all files of a tool like CodeMirror in one FileLibrary
>>> * keep the suggested directory structure as it is suggested by the tool
>>> * thus make updating easier
>>> * server files from "subdirectories" of the FileLibrary
>>>
>>> So far, I couldn't find anything that would allow me to make a
>>> WAFileLibrary behave like a directory with subdirectories, like this
>>>
>>> /myTool
>>>      + /modes
>>>      + / styles
>>>
>>> With one common start path for the whole structure (bas URL).
>>>
>>> Did I overlook something?
>>>
>>> Joachim

Re: Maintaining paths with File Libraries

Udo Schneider
Hi Joachim,

damned! Copied the wrong side of the class definition ...

Yes, I meant WAFileMetadataLibrary of course :-)

CU,

Udo