Making GUI'S

123

Making GUI'S

Juan Pablo Cook
Hi Everybody! Today I found this smalltalk IDE, and I have recently installed. I used to use VisualWorks.
I like the general interface of this framework. What I want to know is where I make a "new Canvas"? or a GUI Window? There is a palette with widgets and these things? Thanks a lot, I've been finding a free IDE to develop in Smalltalk.

Thanks a lot

JP Cook - Argentina

Re: Making GUI'S

Alexandre Bergel
Hi Juan,

Try :
UITheme exampleColorControls
UITheme exampleBasicControls
UITheme exampleGroups
UITheme exampleOtherControls
UITheme exampleWindowWithToolbars

The code to create these widget is there.

Alexandre

On 19 Jun 2009, at 14:32, Juan Pablo Cook wrote:

> Hi Everybody! Today I found this smalltalk IDE, and I have recently
> installed. I used to use VisualWorks.
> I like the general interface of this framework. What I want to know
> is where I make a "new Canvas"? or a GUI Window? There is a palette
> with widgets and these things? Thanks a lot, I've been finding a
> free IDE to develop in Smalltalk.
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> JP Cook - Argentina

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Making GUI'S

Juan Pablo Cook
Thanks a lot, but I'm a bit lost in pharo... Could you make a little example? Thanks a lot

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Juan,

Try :
UITheme exampleColorControls
UITheme exampleBasicControls
UITheme exampleGroups
UITheme exampleOtherControls
UITheme exampleWindowWithToolbars

The code to create these widget is there.

Alexandre

On 19 Jun 2009, at 14:32, Juan Pablo Cook wrote:

> Hi Everybody! Today I found this smalltalk IDE, and I have recently
> installed. I used to use VisualWorks.
> I like the general interface of this framework. What I want to know
> is where I make a "new Canvas"? or a GUI Window? There is a palette
> with widgets and these things? Thanks a lot, I've been finding a
> free IDE to develop in Smalltalk.
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> JP Cook - Argentina

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Making GUI'S

Alexandre Bergel
I do not understand where're lost. With Polymorph, with Smalltalk?
Open a workspace, cut and paste one of the line below, select, right
click and doIt.

Alexandre

On 19 Jun 2009, at 15:01, Juan Pablo Cook wrote:

> Thanks a lot, but I'm a bit lost in pharo... Could you make a little
> example? Thanks a lot
>
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Alexandre Bergel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> Try :
> UITheme exampleColorControls
> UITheme exampleBasicControls
> UITheme exampleGroups
> UITheme exampleOtherControls
> UITheme exampleWindowWithToolbars
>
> The code to create these widget is there.
>
> Alexandre
>

> On 19 Jun 2009, at 14:32, Juan Pablo Cook wrote:
>
> > Hi Everybody! Today I found this smalltalk IDE, and I have recently
> > installed. I used to use VisualWorks.
> > I like the general interface of this framework. What I want to know
> > is where I make a "new Canvas"? or a GUI Window? There is a palette
> > with widgets and these things? Thanks a lot, I've been finding a
> > free IDE to develop in Smalltalk.
> >
> > Thanks a lot
> >
> > JP Cook - Argentina

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Making GUI'S

Michael Roberts-2
I think the question was 'where is the UI builder'?. In VW you have a
builder where you can drag and drop (to a certain extent) widgets on a
canvas and define their properties.  I'm not sure we have this in
Pharo.

thanks,

Mike

Re: Making GUI'S

Cameron Sanders-3
Didn't I read somewhere that you can graphically "group" morphs
together via a menu option (e.g. make one widget a child of another)?
If so, and if relative positioning is preserved, then given how one
can create morphs in a workspace, it seems like the capability is
nearly there. We just need a browser to enable full binding to the
callbacks/blocks and a code storage spec that is compact. It seems
like it should be dead simple to build one from scratch, even if the
capability I inquired about (in the first sentence of this email) is
not present.

I don't know what I am waiting for -- except more time -- because I
guess I should build such a thing. (Are there any Pharo/squeak coders
available for part-time consulting over the next year? ...At student
level pay I must add.)

I too want a GUI builder.

-Cam

On Jun 19, 2009, at 3:22 PM, Michael Roberts wrote:

> I think the question was 'where is the UI builder'?. In VW you have a
> builder where you can drag and drop (to a certain extent) widgets on a
> canvas and define their properties.  I'm not sure we have this in
> Pharo.
>
> thanks,

Re: Making GUI'S

HI juan

there is no UiBUilder as in VW in pharo.
This is not that we do not like but nobody implemented it yet :)

Stef

On Jun 19, 2009, at 8:32 PM, Juan Pablo Cook wrote:

> Hi Everybody! Today I found this smalltalk IDE, and I have recently
> installed. I used to use VisualWorks.
> I like the general interface of this framework. What I want to know
> is where I make a "new Canvas"? or a GUI Window? There is a palette
> with widgets and these things? Thanks a lot, I've been finding a
> free IDE to develop in Smalltalk.
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> JP Cook - Argentina

Re: Making GUI'S

Juan Pablo Cook
Ah ok, And a question, If you can help me... What framework with a UiBuilder for Smalltalk free there is? It's a problem I think...

Thanks a lot

JP Cook

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
HI juan

there is no UiBUilder as in VW in pharo.
This is not that we do not like but nobody implemented it yet :)

Stef

On Jun 19, 2009, at 8:32 PM, Juan Pablo Cook wrote:

> Hi Everybody! Today I found this smalltalk IDE, and I have recently
> installed. I used to use VisualWorks.
> I like the general interface of this framework. What I want to know
> is where I make a "new Canvas"? or a GUI Window? There is a palette
> with widgets and these things? Thanks a lot, I've been finding a
> free IDE to develop in Smalltalk.
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> JP Cook - Argentina

Re: Making GUI'S

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jun 19, 2009, at 10:13 PM, Juan Pablo Cook wrote:

> Ah ok, And a question, If you can help me... What framework with a
> UiBuilder for Smalltalk free there is? It's a problem I think...

None so far.
We are at the beginner of a new area :)
Now if you look at the examples send you you can also build user
interfaces with polymorph and really sexy ones.
But yes this is something needed.
Stef

> Thanks a lot
>
> JP Cook
>
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> HI juan
>
> there is no UiBUilder as in VW in pharo.
> This is not that we do not like but nobody implemented it yet :)
>
> Stef
>
> On Jun 19, 2009, at 8:32 PM, Juan Pablo Cook wrote:
>
> > Hi Everybody! Today I found this smalltalk IDE, and I have recently
> > installed. I used to use VisualWorks.
> > I like the general interface of this framework. What I want to know
> > is where I make a "new Canvas"? or a GUI Window? There is a palette
> > with widgets and these things? Thanks a lot, I've been finding a
> > free IDE to develop in Smalltalk.
> >
> > Thanks a lot
> >
> > JP Cook - Argentina

Re: Making GUI'S

On Jun 19, 2009, at 9:45 PM, Cameron Sanders wrote:

> Didn't I read somewhere that you can graphically "group" morphs
> together via a menu option (e.g. make one widget a child of another)?
> If so, and if relative positioning is preserved, then given how one
> can create morphs in a workspace, it seems like the capability is
> nearly there. We just need a browser to enable full binding to the
> callbacks/blocks and a code storage spec that is compact. It seems
> like it should be dead simple to build one from scratch, even if the
> capability I inquired about (in the first sentence of this email) is
> not present.
>
> I don't know what I am waiting for -- except more time -- because I
> guess I should build such a thing. (Are there any Pharo/squeak coders
> available for part-time consulting over the next year? ...At student
> level pay I must add.)
>
> I too want a GUI builder.
>
> -Cam
>
> On Jun 19, 2009, at 3:22 PM, Michael Roberts wrote:
>
>> I think the question was 'where is the UI builder'?. In VW you have a
>> builder where you can drag and drop (to a certain extent) widgets
>> on a
>> canvas and define their properties.  I'm not sure we have this in
>> Pharo.
>>
>> thanks,

Re: Making GUI'S

> I don't know what I am waiting for -- except more time -- because I
> guess I should build such a thing. (Are there any Pharo/squeak coders
> available for part-time consulting over the next year? ...At student
> level pay I must add.)
>
> I too want a GUI builder.

me too :)
So may be we could have a kind of bounty system for pharo.
Frankly we are rather full and we (the core) have not that much time for
extensions but we would support any work in the direction of
        UIBuilder
        TestServer
        Package....
        FileWrite-Rio kind of integration
        Better MC support (yes I should look at MC1.5)
        Better SUnit
        Better tools (for example like the newInspector)

Re: Making GUI'S

Steve Wirts
Value Models, TypeConverter library, SubCanvas support(super powerful idea here), etc... some really wonderful idioms long lost in OO guis.
VisualWorks had some really nice frameworks that were discarded due to them being undervalued.
I hope to eventually re-introduce some of these fun frameworks into pharo given my time constraints and interest from potential users.

see
http://c2.com/ppr/vmodels.html

Magritte seems like it might be a superior alternative to VisualWorks ValueModels;  I haven't explored it enough to really know yet.
Pharo is the most exciting thing to come along for me in quite awhile!

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know what I am waiting for -- except more time -- because I
> guess I should build such a thing. (Are there any Pharo/squeak coders
> available for part-time consulting over the next year? ...At student
> level pay I must add.)
>
> I too want a GUI builder.

me too :)
So may be we could have a kind of bounty system for pharo.
Frankly we are rather full and we (the core) have not that much time for
extensions but we would support any work in the direction of
       UIBuilder
       TestServer
       Package....
       FileWrite-Rio kind of integration
       Better MC support (yes I should look at MC1.5)
       Better SUnit
       Better tools (for example like the newInspector)

Re: Making GUI'S

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Steve,

Interesting that you mention value models.  I just ran into a use for a ValueHolder, and discovered that Dolphin's #value, #value: protocol was not present.  In fact ValueHolder>>value answers the receiver!  I added an override to my Dolphin compatibility package.  I exepect to add AspectValueAdapter and perhaps some converters as need arises.

None of this takes away from Magritte; I share your interest in it and willingness to consider it as potentially powerful tool for GUI building.

Bill

Value Models, TypeConverter library, SubCanvas support(super powerful idea here), etc... some really wonderful idioms long lost in OO guis.
VisualWorks had some really nice frameworks that were discarded due to them being undervalued.
I hope to eventually re-introduce some of these fun frameworks into pharo given my time constraints and interest from potential users.

see
http://c2.com/ppr/vmodels.html

Magritte seems like it might be a superior alternative to VisualWorks ValueModels;  I haven't explored it enough to really know yet.
Pharo is the most exciting thing to come along for me in quite awhile!

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know what I am waiting for -- except more time -- because I
> guess I should build such a thing. (Are there any Pharo/squeak coders
> available for part-time consulting over the next year? ...At student
> level pay I must add.)
>
> I too want a GUI builder.

me too :)
So may be we could have a kind of bounty system for pharo.
Frankly we are rather full and we (the core) have not that much time for
extensions but we would support any work in the direction of
       UIBuilder
       TestServer
       Package....
       FileWrite-Rio kind of integration
       Better MC support (yes I should look at MC1.5)
       Better SUnit
       Better tools (for example like the newInspector)

Re: Making GUI'S

Cameron Sanders-3
To come back to Juan's latest question, let me say:
I spent many months last year loading software development environments for a variety of programming languages to see the state of the world. And I found myself disappointed that we really haven't bested smalltalk yet. Smalltalk is great, I just figured... something better would have come along over the years. For ease of realizing a design vision, and platform independence, it is hard to beat smalltalk.

I could not commit to VisualWorks because of the licensing terms, for commercialize work. Dolphin is platform limited, and differs from the other smalltalks. VisualAge is too pricey! [I tried the other flavors too...] These are good tools, they just do not fit my requirements or means. After digging around, I like the licensing terms of Pharo. It is on the right track. It is rich in functionality. It works; it is robust.

I am strictly a user right now, but I will try to contribute in the future. I like Stef's idea of a "bounty" -- great idea!

So my advice for a free smalltalk is -- drumroll please... -- Pharo. But don't ignore Squeak itself, nor the variants, depending on your needs.

That said, the the lack of a GUI builder is a clear deficiency. But we will add one. [Ahem... i sound like royalty with my use of the word "we"; i co-authored one in C/X/motif in the 1980s... it should be at least that simple in smalltalk. The aforementioned tool took two of us about one week; but I know nothing about Morph at this time.] Depending on your needs, simple GUI's are easy to build with Morph, but sometimes (most?) i just want to paint the interface and give it some thought before fully wiring it. It allows one to quickly probe whether the vision(the GUI) is an acceptable/comfortable/sufficient/... means for a user to interact with the application.  Especially when working with others programmers, and worse, those pesky clients! Clients love interfaces.

(I still do not know what Polymorph is, is it a completely different system? a piggy-back system? They can co-exist right? but they use a different value-changed notification system?)

Pharo has value models, right? [Or am i... -- I'll look later.]

Again, thanks to the good work of the Pharo people (and Squeak people), I have found some sanity in life. I got tired of Python changing. I cannot stand strong typing. I love Smalltalk. And the best part is that it's free!

Cheers,
Cam
PS: speed is another high-priority. VisualWorks and Dolphin feel really snappy!

On Jun 19, 2009, at 9:01 PM, Steve Wirts wrote:

Value Models, TypeConverter library, SubCanvas support(super powerful idea here), etc... some really wonderful idioms long lost in OO guis.
VisualWorks had some really nice frameworks that were discarded due to them being undervalued.
I hope to eventually re-introduce some of these fun frameworks into pharo given my time constraints and interest from potential users.

see
http://c2.com/ppr/vmodels.html

Magritte seems like it might be a superior alternative to VisualWorks ValueModels;  I haven't explored it enough to really know yet.
Pharo is the most exciting thing to come along for me in quite awhile!

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know what I am waiting for -- except more time -- because I
> guess I should build such a thing. (Are there any Pharo/squeak coders
> available for part-time consulting over the next year? ...At student
> level pay I must add.)
>
> I too want a GUI builder.

me too :)
So may be we could have a kind of bounty system for pharo.
Frankly we are rather full and we (the core) have not that much time for
extensions but we would support any work in the direction of
       UIBuilder
       TestServer
       Package....
       FileWrite-Rio kind of integration
       Better MC support (yes I should look at MC1.5)
       Better SUnit
       Better tools (for example like the newInspector)

Re: Making GUI'S

Rudi Engelbrecht
Hi

Have you looked at Smalltalk/X?

Includes GUI builders, super fast and has ValueModels.

Maybe Pharo can learn a bit from ST/X?

Regards

Rudi

On 20 Jun 2009, at 6:17 AM, Cameron Sanders <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know what I am waiting for -- except more time -- because I
> guess I should build such a thing. (Are there any Pharo/squeak coders
> available for part-time consulting over the next year? ...At student
> level pay I must add.)
>
> I too want a GUI builder.

me too :)
So may be we could have a kind of bounty system for pharo.
Frankly we are rather full and we (the core) have not that much time for
extensions but we would support any work in the direction of
       UIBuilder
       TestServer
       Package....
       FileWrite-Rio kind of integration
       Better MC support (yes I should look at MC1.5)
       Better SUnit
       Better tools (for example like the newInspector)

our goal is to make sure that you will have a nice clean system to
build such cool libraries.

Stef

On Jun 20, 2009, at 3:01 AM, Steve Wirts wrote:

> Value Models, TypeConverter library, SubCanvas support(super
> powerful idea here), etc... some really wonderful idioms long lost
> in OO guis.
> VisualWorks had some really nice frameworks that were discarded due
> to them being undervalued.
> I hope to eventually re-introduce some of these fun frameworks into
> pharo given my time constraints and interest from potential users.
>
> see
> http://c2.com/ppr/vmodels.html
>
> Magritte seems like it might be a superior alternative to
> VisualWorks ValueModels;  I haven't explored it enough to really
> know yet.
> Pharo is the most exciting thing to come along for me in quite awhile!
>

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> >
> > I don't know what I am waiting for -- except more time -- because I
> > guess I should build such a thing. (Are there any Pharo/squeak
> coders
> > available for part-time consulting over the next year? ...At student
> > level pay I must add.)
> >
> > I too want a GUI builder.
>

> me too :)
> So may be we could have a kind of bounty system for pharo.
> Frankly we are rather full and we (the core) have not that much time
> for
> extensions but we would support any work in the direction of
>        UIBuilder
>        TestServer
>        Package....
>        FileWrite-Rio kind of integration
>        Better MC support (yes I should look at MC1.5)
>        Better SUnit
>        Better tools (for example like the newInspector)
>
> Stef

Re: Making GUI'S

Steve Wirts
I did a talk(attached) at OOPSLA several years ago to explain the benefits of ValueModels to java programmers, it was way over their heads.
It's unfortunate as today I've yet to see anything in java that approaches the productivity they provide.

2009/6/20 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>
Steve,

Interesting that you mention value models.  I just ran into a use for a ValueHolder, and discovered that Dolphin's #value, #value: protocol was not present.  In fact ValueHolder>>value answers the receiver!  I added an override to my Dolphin compatibility package.  I exepect to add AspectValueAdapter and perhaps some converters as need arises.

None of this takes away from Magritte; I share your interest in it and willingness to consider it as potentially powerful tool for GUI building.

Bill

Value Models, TypeConverter library, SubCanvas support(super powerful idea here), etc... some really wonderful idioms long lost in OO guis.
VisualWorks had some really nice frameworks that were discarded due to them being undervalued.
I hope to eventually re-introduce some of these fun frameworks into pharo given my time constraints and interest from potential users.

see
http://c2.com/ppr/vmodels.html

Magritte seems like it might be a superior alternative to VisualWorks ValueModels;  I haven't explored it enough to really know yet.
Pharo is the most exciting thing to come along for me in quite awhile!

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know what I am waiting for -- except more time -- because I
> guess I should build such a thing. (Are there any Pharo/squeak coders
> available for part-time consulting over the next year? ...At student
> level pay I must add.)
>
> I too want a GUI builder.

me too :)
So may be we could have a kind of bounty system for pharo.
Frankly we are rather full and we (the core) have not that much time for
extensions but we would support any work in the direction of
       UIBuilder
       TestServer
       Package....
       FileWrite-Rio kind of integration
       Better MC support (yes I should look at MC1.5)
       Better SUnit
       Better tools (for example like the newInspector)

value models.ppt (307K) Download Attachment

Re: Making GUI'S

Cameron Sanders-3
They could probably all learn from the other flavors. In fact, the
cross-smalltalk portability is a negative for smalltalk.

I believe I tried smalltalk/X... that's the natively-compiled one,
right? So it feels like C++ if you change a root class -- or am I
confusing it with another? I'm on a new platform and can't check what
all I installed last year, at the moment.

I like the idea of a compiled version!! And there would be a place for
it in my world, *if* I could take code from Pharo and load it into
say, Smalltalk/X, and have it work without a month-long debugging
session.

-Cam

On Jun 20, 2009, at 1:01 AM, Rudi Engelbrecht wrote:

> Have you looked at Smalltalk/X?

Re: Making GUI'S

Rob Rothwell
Just wondering if something similar can be done with Announcements?  I think the Omnibrowser folks recently started wiring everything together using Announcments...?

Not sure...just interested!

Take care,

Rob

2009/6/20 Steve Wirts <[hidden email]>
I did a talk(attached) at OOPSLA several years ago to explain the benefits of ValueModels to java programmers, it was way over their heads.
It's unfortunate as today I've yet to see anything in java that approaches the productivity they provide.

2009/6/20 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>

Steve,

Interesting that you mention value models.  I just ran into a use for a ValueHolder, and discovered that Dolphin's #value, #value: protocol was not present.  In fact ValueHolder>>value answers the receiver!  I added an override to my Dolphin compatibility package.  I exepect to add AspectValueAdapter and perhaps some converters as need arises.

None of this takes away from Magritte; I share your interest in it and willingness to consider it as potentially powerful tool for GUI building.

Bill

Value Models, TypeConverter library, SubCanvas support(super powerful idea here), etc... some really wonderful idioms long lost in OO guis.
VisualWorks had some really nice frameworks that were discarded due to them being undervalued.
I hope to eventually re-introduce some of these fun frameworks into pharo given my time constraints and interest from potential users.

see
http://c2.com/ppr/vmodels.html

Magritte seems like it might be a superior alternative to VisualWorks ValueModels;  I haven't explored it enough to really know yet.
Pharo is the most exciting thing to come along for me in quite awhile!

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know what I am waiting for -- except more time -- because I
> guess I should build such a thing. (Are there any Pharo/squeak coders
> available for part-time consulting over the next year? ...At student
> level pay I must add.)
>
> I too want a GUI builder.

me too :)
So may be we could have a kind of bounty system for pharo.
Frankly we are rather full and we (the core) have not that much time for
extensions but we would support any work in the direction of
       UIBuilder
       TestServer
       Package....
       FileWrite-Rio kind of integration
       Better MC support (yes I should look at MC1.5)
       Better SUnit
       Better tools (for example like the newInspector)

Re: Making GUI'S

Rob Rothwell
Also just wondering what anyone thought of the concept of Maui in the context of this discussion!

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3836