Making more memory available to VM on OS X.

Making more memory available to VM on OS X.

nacho
Hi,
I'm doing some fractal drawings which requires a great number of iterations and point drawing.
Once the given fractal set is rendered Pharo becomes very sluggish. Is there a way to allocate more memory to the VM upon starting it?
thanks
Nacho
Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Making more memory available to VM on OS X.

Stéphane Ducasse

On Nov 23, 2013, at 5:25 PM, nacho <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm doing some fractal drawings which requires a great number of iterations
> and point drawing.
> Once the given fractal set is rendered Pharo becomes very sluggish.

This is strange. I can understand that pharo takes time to compute a fractal but I do not see why it would be sluggish after.

> Is there
> a way to allocate more memory to the VM upon starting it?
> thanks
> Nacho
>

> -----
> Nacho
> Smalltalker apprentice.
> Buenos Aires, Argentina.

MandelMorph2-raa.11.mcz (8K) Download Attachment
MandelMorph2-tbn.1.mcz (8K) Download Attachment
silly little mandelbrot program in Smalltalk.pdf (291K) Download Attachment
tp2-LOL.1.mcz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Making more memory available to VM on OS X.

nacho
Thanks for the attachments I will take a look at them.
The time it takes to render the fractal is not the problem. But after that, if I want to drag or resize the window the fractal has been draw into, the sluggish begins. Even with the fast dragging option checked. Also, closing and opening other windows become sluggish.
thank
take care
Nacho

Lic. Ignacio Sniechowski, MBA

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Nov 23, 2013, at 5:25 PM, nacho <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm doing some fractal drawings which requires a great number of iterations
> and point drawing.
> Once the given fractal set is rendered Pharo becomes very sluggish.

This is strange. I can understand that pharo takes time to compute a fractal but I do not see why it would be sluggish after.

> Is there
> a way to allocate more memory to the VM upon starting it?
> thanks
> Nacho
>

> -----
> Nacho
> Smalltalker apprentice.
> Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Making more memory available to VM on OS X.

Stéphane Ducasse
Probably because you should cache the result you get and not redraw it all the time.
You should control when you want to redraw it. So your Morph should hold a form or something like that.

Stef