Making packages shipped with Pharo ready for 1.0

Making packages shipped with Pharo ready for 1.0

Adrian Lienhard
Hi,

I've more closely looked at the failing tests and undeclared
references in the Pharo image. The test result is 14 expected
failures, 34 failures, 54 errors, 2 unexpected passes. Considering
that the Pharo-core ships with all tests green, this situation needs
to be fixed.

I urge the package maintainers to closely look at the list below and
provide fixes and cleanups of their code.

There are also 9 tests failing from Pharo-core. I will take care of
those.

Nil
-----
- Sends deprecated message: #findLastOccuranceOfString:startingAt:
- A test opens a workspace that says: "Squeak is a beautiful language.
Look at http:\\www.squeak.org ..."
- Another test opens another workspace
- NSBuffer has method that references an undeclared variable
'collection'
- undeclared reference to GradientFillMorph, StringSocketStream
- Total failing tests: 10
- Total tests with errors: 11

ECompleteion
------------
- 7 tests failing
- 2 errors

O2
--
- #dropOnClass: references InputSensor (this class does not exist
anymore!)

OB
------
- undeclared references: HttpResponse, Json, JsonObject
- #dropOnClass: references InputSensor (this class does not exist
anymore!)

NewInspector
------------
- undeclared reference automaticallyHideIfNoChild
- NewInspector DNU #inspect (sent in #testSymbolTableM6812)

Shout
-----
- undeclared variable sourceMap

RB
--
- undeclared reference to RBBasicLintRuleTest and
RBTransformationRuleTest

Pharo-core tests failing
------------------------
- FontTest>>testFallback (assumes different font, to be removed)
- FontTest>>testParagraphFallback (assumes different font, to be
removed)
- FontTest>>testResetAfterEmphasized (assumes different font, to be
removed)
- StandardSystemFontsTest>>testRestoreDefaultFonts (assumes different
font, to be removed)
- TestIndenting>>testNewLineStartsIndentedWhenWrapped (assumes
different font, to be removed)
- TestIndenting>>testSetUp (assumes different font, to be removed)
- LocaleTest>>testIsFontAvailable (some Japanese font checking that
fails with DejaVu, to be removed)
- testFinalizationOfEquals (was on my to do list, but works again:
remove expected failure tag)
- testObsoleteClasses: again includes classes from MC and others (have
to be checked)

MorphExamplesAndDemos
---------------------
- undeclared references to DescriptionForPartsBin and ScreeningMorph

Cheers,
Adrian

BTW, Damien, do we know for each package who the maintainer is? Does
each package have one?

Re: Making packages shipped with Pharo ready for 1.0

Lukas Renggli
> RB
> --
> - undeclared reference to RBBasicLintRuleTest and
> RBTransformationRuleTest

I take responsible for the AST and Refactoring packages. I believe
these undeclared references have been fixed quite some time ago. See
the attached dependency graph for details.

Please make sure to take the latest code, the current Pharo
distributions use outdated packages. I suggest that you do not load
the separately packaged tests, some tests must fail because some parts
of the refactoring engine are broken. It is getting better though, I
already fixed over 40 tests and discovered and fixed many tests. Also
some basic refactorings without reformatting the code are in reach.

Use the following snipped to load the latest code:

Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'rb';
        addPackage: 'AST-Core';
        addPackage: 'Refactoring-Core';
        addPackage: 'Refactoring-Spelling';
        load.

> OB
> ------
> - undeclared references: HttpResponse, Json, JsonObject

It looks like the Pharo images contains OB-Web (the web view for OB),
while all the prerequisites (Kom, Json) are not loaded.

> - #dropOnClass: references InputSensor (this class does not exist
> anymore!)

That was fixed a long time ago.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

rb.pdf (28K) Download Attachment

Re: Making packages shipped with Pharo ready for 1.0

Nicolas Cellier
2009/10/27 Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>:

> Pharo-core tests failing
> ------------------------
> - FontTest>>testFallback (assumes different font, to be removed)
> - FontTest>>testParagraphFallback (assumes different font, to be
> removed)
> - FontTest>>testResetAfterEmphasized (assumes different font, to be
> removed)
> - StandardSystemFontsTest>>testRestoreDefaultFonts (assumes different
> font, to be removed)
> - TestIndenting>>testNewLineStartsIndentedWhenWrapped (assumes
> different font, to be removed)
> - TestIndenting>>testSetUp (assumes different font, to be removed)
> - LocaleTest>>testIsFontAvailable (some Japanese font checking that
> fails with DejaVu, to be removed)
> - testFinalizationOfEquals (was on my to do list, but works again:
> remove expected failure tag)

This remind me discussions with Norbert http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6347
and also http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-September/131654.html

Nicolas

> - testObsoleteClasses: again includes classes from MC and others (have
> to be checked)
>
> MorphExamplesAndDemos
> ---------------------
> - undeclared references to DescriptionForPartsBin and ScreeningMorph
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> BTW, Damien, do we know for each package who the maintainer is? Does
> each package have one?

Re: Making packages shipped with Pharo ready for 1.0

Adrian Lienhard
Thanks, Lukas!

Damien will certainly pick up the gofer script you posted.

Indeed, OB-Web is loaded and obviously should not. Also we should
check that the version of OB is the newest one.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Oct 27, 2009, at 17:36 , Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> RB
>> --
>> - undeclared reference to RBBasicLintRuleTest and
>> RBTransformationRuleTest
>
> I take responsible for the AST and Refactoring packages. I believe
> these undeclared references have been fixed quite some time ago. See
> the attached dependency graph for details.
>
> Please make sure to take the latest code, the current Pharo
> distributions use outdated packages. I suggest that you do not load
> the separately packaged tests, some tests must fail because some parts
> of the refactoring engine are broken. It is getting better though, I
> already fixed over 40 tests and discovered and fixed many tests. Also
> some basic refactorings without reformatting the code are in reach.
>
> Use the following snipped to load the latest code:
>
> Gofer new
>        squeaksource: 'rb';
>        addPackage: 'AST-Core';
>        addPackage: 'Refactoring-Core';
>        addPackage: 'Refactoring-Spelling';
>        load.
>
>> OB
>> ------
>> - undeclared references: HttpResponse, Json, JsonObject
>
> It looks like the Pharo images contains OB-Web (the web view for OB),
> while all the prerequisites (Kom, Json) are not loaded.
>
>> - #dropOnClass: references InputSensor (this class does not exist
>> anymore!)
>
> That was fixed a long time ago.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch
> <rb.pdf>_______________________________________________

Re: Making packages shipped with Pharo ready for 1.0

Adrian

I will have a look at Nile with cyrille and else we remove it from 1.0
(which would be a pity).

Stef

On Oct 27, 2009, at 5:04 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> [...]
> - TestIndenting>>testNewLineStartsIndentedWhenWrapped (assumes
> different font, to be removed)
> - TestIndenting>>testSetUp (assumes different font, to be removed)
> - LocaleTest>>testIsFontAvailable (some Japanese font checking that
> fails with DejaVu, to be removed)
> - testFinalizationOfEquals (was on my to do list, but works again:
> remove expected failure tag)
> - testObsoleteClasses: again includes classes from MC and others (have
> to be checked)
>
> MorphExamplesAndDemos
> ---------------------
> - undeclared references to DescriptionForPartsBin and ScreeningMorph
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> BTW, Damien, do we know for each package who the maintainer is? Does
> each package have one?

Re: Making packages shipped with Pharo ready for 1.0

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

I do not yet use Nile, but after learning a little more about the existing file streams, my first thought was "Nile is installed, right?"  It would be a shame to see it removed.

Bill

> [...]

> - TestIndenting>>testNewLineStartsIndentedWhenWrapped (assumes
> different font, to be removed)
> - TestIndenting>>testSetUp (assumes different font, to be removed)
> - LocaleTest>>testIsFontAvailable (some Japanese font checking that
> fails with DejaVu, to be removed)
> - testFinalizationOfEquals (was on my to do list, but works again:
> remove expected failure tag)
> - testObsoleteClasses: again includes classes from MC and others (have
> to be checked)
>
> MorphExamplesAndDemos
> ---------------------
> - undeclared references to DescriptionForPartsBin and ScreeningMorph
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> BTW, Damien, do we know for each package who the maintainer is? Does
> each package have one?

Re: Making packages shipped with Pharo ready for 1.0

Stéphane Ducasse

On Oct 27, 2009, at 10:45 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> I do not yet use Nile, but after learning a little more about the
> existing file streams, my first thought was "Nile is installed,
> right?"  It would be a shame to see it removed.

Yes but we should fix the tests.

Re: Making packages shipped with Pharo ready for 1.0

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I've more closely looked at the failing tests and undeclared
references in the Pharo image. The test result is 14 expected
failures, 34 failures, 54 errors, 2 unexpected passes. Considering
that the Pharo-core ships with all tests green, this situation needs
to be fixed.

First of all, I really want to thank you Adrian. I am always complaining about this, but I never took the time to do something. So I _really_ appreciate your work and I think this is very important for Pharo.

I urge the package maintainers to closely look at the list below and
provide fixes and cleanups of their code.

If there are packages without maintainers, may be this could be a task for Smalltalks 2009 Pharo Sprint in November.

[...]

Thanks, Nicolas

We integrated your fix and now it does not fail anymore. Just have to
remove it from expectedFailures.

Cheers
Adrian

On Oct 27, 2009, at 17:58 , Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> 2009/10/27 Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>:
>> Pharo-core tests failing
>> ------------------------
>> - FontTest>>testFallback (assumes different font, to be removed)
>> - FontTest>>testParagraphFallback (assumes different font, to be
>> removed)
>> - FontTest>>testResetAfterEmphasized (assumes different font, to be
>> removed)
>> - StandardSystemFontsTest>>testRestoreDefaultFonts (assumes different
>> font, to be removed)
>> - TestIndenting>>testNewLineStartsIndentedWhenWrapped (assumes
>> different font, to be removed)
>> - TestIndenting>>testSetUp (assumes different font, to be removed)
>> - LocaleTest>>testIsFontAvailable (some Japanese font checking that
>> fails with DejaVu, to be removed)
>> - testFinalizationOfEquals (was on my to do list, but works again:
>> remove expected failure tag)
>
> This remind me discussions with Norbert http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6347
> and also http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-September/131654.html
>
> Nicolas
>
>> - testObsoleteClasses: again includes classes from MC and others
>> (have
>> to be checked)
>>
>> MorphExamplesAndDemos
>> ---------------------
>> - undeclared references to DescriptionForPartsBin and ScreeningMorph
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian
>>
>> BTW, Damien, do we know for each package who the maintainer is? Does
>> each package have one?

Re: Making packages shipped with Pharo ready for 1.0

Martin McClure-2
Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Pharo-core tests failing
> ------------------------
> - FontTest>>testFallback (assumes different font, to be removed)
> - FontTest>>testParagraphFallback (assumes different font, to be
> removed)
> - FontTest>>testResetAfterEmphasized (assumes different font, to be
> removed)
> - StandardSystemFontsTest>>testRestoreDefaultFonts (assumes different
> font, to be removed)
> - TestIndenting>>testNewLineStartsIndentedWhenWrapped (assumes
> different font, to be removed)
> - TestIndenting>>testSetUp (assumes different font, to be removed)
> - LocaleTest>>testIsFontAvailable (some Japanese font checking that
> fails with DejaVu, to be removed)
> - testFinalizationOfEquals (was on my to do list, but works again:
> remove expected failure tag)
> - testObsoleteClasses: again includes classes from MC and others (have
> to be checked)

Also note that in a Pharo-core image HostWindowTests>>#testOne fails,
apparently because HostWindows aren't implemented on Linux. I'm guessing
that the test should be conditionalized to not run on Linux, or to
expect to fail on Linux.

Regards,

-Martin

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Martin McClure <[hidden email]> wrote:
Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Pharo-core tests failing
> ------------------------
> - FontTest>>testFallback (assumes different font, to be removed)
> - FontTest>>testParagraphFallback (assumes different font, to be
> removed)
> - FontTest>>testResetAfterEmphasized (assumes different font, to be
> removed)
> - StandardSystemFontsTest>>testRestoreDefaultFonts (assumes different
> font, to be removed)
> - TestIndenting>>testNewLineStartsIndentedWhenWrapped (assumes
> different font, to be removed)
> - TestIndenting>>testSetUp (assumes different font, to be removed)
> - LocaleTest>>testIsFontAvailable (some Japanese font checking that
> fails with DejaVu, to be removed)
> - testFinalizationOfEquals (was on my to do list, but works again:
> remove expected failure tag)
> - testObsoleteClasses: again includes classes from MC and others (have
> to be checked)

Also note that in a Pharo-core image HostWindowTests>>#testOne fails,
apparently because HostWindows aren't implemented on Linux. I'm guessing
that the test should be conditionalized to not run on Linux, or to
expect to fail on Linux.

This has been fixed in latest version. See http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1338

Regards,

-Martin

Re: Making packages shipped with Pharo ready for 1.0

Nicolas Cellier
Thank you.
Note that this test uses recently controversed (TestCase>>#assert:)
with a Block argument.
Maybe you should add the #value everywhere...

Nicolas

2009/10/28 Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks, Nicolas
>
> We integrated your fix and now it does not fail anymore. Just have to
> remove it from expectedFailures.
>
> Cheers
> Adrian
>
> On Oct 27, 2009, at 17:58 , Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>
>> 2009/10/27 Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>:
>>> Pharo-core tests failing
>>> ------------------------
>>> - FontTest>>testFallback (assumes different font, to be removed)
>>> - FontTest>>testParagraphFallback (assumes different font, to be
>>> removed)
>>> - FontTest>>testResetAfterEmphasized (assumes different font, to be
>>> removed)
>>> - StandardSystemFontsTest>>testRestoreDefaultFonts (assumes different
>>> font, to be removed)
>>> - TestIndenting>>testNewLineStartsIndentedWhenWrapped (assumes
>>> different font, to be removed)
>>> - TestIndenting>>testSetUp (assumes different font, to be removed)
>>> - LocaleTest>>testIsFontAvailable (some Japanese font checking that
>>> fails with DejaVu, to be removed)
>>> - testFinalizationOfEquals (was on my to do list, but works again:
>>> remove expected failure tag)
>>
>> This remind me discussions with Norbert http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6347
>> and also http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-September/131654.html
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>>> - testObsoleteClasses: again includes classes from MC and others
>>> (have
>>> to be checked)
>>>
>>> MorphExamplesAndDemos
>>> ---------------------
>>> - undeclared references to DescriptionForPartsBin and ScreeningMorph
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Adrian
>>>
>>> BTW, Damien, do we know for each package who the maintainer is? Does
>>> each package have one?

Re: Making packages shipped with Pharo ready for 1.0

Damien Cassou
On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> BTW, Damien, do we know for each package who the maintainer is? Does
> each package have one?

I've updated http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Packages with the
known maintainers.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Damien will certainly pick up the gofer script you posted.
>
> Indeed, OB-Web is loaded and obviously should not. Also we should
> check that the version of OB is the newest one.

I'm building the November images right now with all the updated packages.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Making packages shipped with Pharo ready for 1.0

Adrian Lienhard
Damien,

I checked the problem below again in the new Pharo 09.11.1 image but
it still contains the old method OBMethodNode>>dropOnClass:, which
references InputSensor. Maybe you need to sync with Lukas to get the
latest version of OB?

Thanks

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I checked the problem below again in the new Pharo 09.11.1 image but
> it still contains the old method OBMethodNode>>dropOnClass:, which
> references InputSensor. Maybe you need to sync with Lukas to get the
> latest version of OB?

fixed, sorry.