Managing Pharo external packages with Metacello, please read!

12

Re: Managing Pharo external packages with Metacello, please read!

Nicolas Cellier
Steph,
I understand how boring it may seem:
- you already discussed the subject over and over
- you already took decisions
and now we come later with new proposals, and ask you to reconsider
the work again...

As for the Preferences/Settings, Pharo choices are probably very weel thought.

However, every solution will come with trade offs, and it would be
good to have a rationale justifying the choices you made, and perhaps
more importantly justifying why you did abandon some solutions,
because some questions might be repeated in Pharo 1.2, 1.3, 2.0 ...
and find different answers in different context. Note that Squeak
evolutions might have influence on Pharo too, and it's part of the
context...

I strongly encourage you to establish your rationale on Pharo grounds
- independently of Andreas proposals, put it on the Pharo wiki and let
us know the URL.

You also know that Squeak goals are not exactly those of Pharo w.r.t.
backward compatibility, so Squeak can't just blindly replicate Pharo
solutions without a rationale.

The merit of Andreas proposal is to try and establish such a
rationale. Without it, we're bound to repeat discussions again and
again,

Nicolas

2010/5/17 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Elliot believe me we **really** discussed that over more than a year with dale and a couple of others.
> We pushed metacello contrary to other people that said it was crap and bloated.
> So may be we are a bit slow and not that smart but we want to give a try to the setup we have in mind.
> Now we also want to have a list of packages which constitutes pharo-core that will be manage as a pharo-core
> configuration.
>
> Stef

Re: Managing Pharo external packages with Metacello, please read!

Stéphane Ducasse
nicolas

all the information is in the metacello mailing-list  and we already posted many mails on that topics in this mailing list.
I'm sorry but I do not have the time to repeat again what we said. Now since I'm in a really good mood
in a nutshell

one repo per version Pharo1.0, Pharo11 ... MetacelloRepository
        containing configurationOfXXX frozen = all the dependent packages are copied locally + configuration ready to load using load.

a project
        contain its single/or whatever configurationOfMyProject
        people publish the config to their repository and if they want they push from their repository to the version repository
        a version that they freeze (may be using tags)

For Pharo core or pharo packages that we maintain we want to maintain it as a project.
with its own repository and packages.

Then we have a server that load configuration and barks if something wrong happen. And may be we kick out
the configurationofXXX from MetacelloRepositories

> Steph,
> I understand how boring it may seem:
> - you already discussed the subject over and over
> - you already took decisions
> and now we come later with new proposals, and ask you to reconsider
> the work again...

more than that. :)
It looks like if we did not talk or think about what we are doing.

> As for the Preferences/Settings, Pharo choices are probably very weel thought.
>
> However, every solution will come with trade offs, and it would be
> good to have a rationale justifying the choices you made, and perhaps
> more importantly justifying why you did abandon some solutions,
> because some questions might be repeated in Pharo 1.2, 1.3, 2.0 ...
> and find different answers in different context. Note that Squeak
> evolutions might have influence on Pharo too, and it's part of the
> context...
>
> I strongly encourage you to establish your rationale on Pharo grounds
> - independently of Andreas proposals, put it on the Pharo wiki and let
> us know the URL.
>
> You also know that Squeak goals are not exactly those of Pharo w.r.t.
> backward compatibility, so Squeak can't just blindly replicate Pharo
> solutions without a rationale.
>
> The merit of Andreas proposal is to try and establish such a
> rationale. Without it, we're bound to repeat discussions again and
> again,

So to fix the problem consider that as our proposal.

Re: Managing Pharo external packages with Metacello, please read!

Geert Claes
Administrator
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
1) We create a squeaksource repository called Pharo10MetacelloRepository
Just a wee idea here, since there are all these ConfigurationOfXXX packages, why not have a MetacelloRepositoryForXXX (rather than XXXMetacelloRepository).  Maybe ConfigurationRepositoryForXXX is a better name?

Re: Managing Pharo external packages with Metacello, please read!

Stéphane Ducasse
Because I want to have them close to the Pharo repositories :)
        "Everything was carefully thought" (tm)

:)

On May 17, 2010, at 3:17 PM, Geert Claes wrote:

> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>> 1) We create a squeaksource repository called Pharo10MetacelloRepository
>>

> Just a wee idea here, since there are all these ConfigurationOfXXX packages,
> why not have a MetacelloRepositoryForXXX (rather than
> XXXMetacelloRepository).  Maybe ConfigurationRepositoryForXXX is a better
> name?

Re: Managing Pharo external packages with Metacello, please read!

Geert Claes
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
Because I want to have them close to the Pharo repositories :)
        "Everything was carefully thought" (tm)
Fair enough ... how about PharoConfigurationRepository :)

I have read all replies here and I am still a bit confused, so is it the idea to have a separate repository per release e.g. Pharo10Configurations, Pharo11Configurations etc?

Re: Managing Pharo external packages with Metacello, please read!

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Because I want to have them close to the Pharo repositories :)
>       "Everything was carefully thought" (tm)

Fair enough ... how about PharoConfigurationRepository :)

I have read all replies here and I am still a bit confused, so is it the
idea to have a separate repository per release e.g. Pharo10Configurations,
Pharo11Configurations etc?

yes

Administrator
Is there no clean way to "not" have version numbers in the Repository name?  Configuration packages like  ConfigurationOfSeaside28 and ConfigurationOfSeaside30 just don't look right either.

Re: Managing Pharo external packages with Metacello, please read!

Nicolas Cellier
The meaning of my message was don't do it for squeak, but do it for yourself.
I don't doubt the mailing list is a mine of information, but even in
the best mine you need to dig a lot before extracting the gold
nuggets.
Of course, I've got no right to control your agenda, who am I ?
You can consider the subject close, and I won't find your attitude
shocking at all.
But next time, consider writing a rationale for your own, it will
increase quality of Pharo decision process.

Best regards

Nicolas

2010/5/17 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> nicolas
>
> all the information is in the metacello mailing-list  and we already posted many mails on that topics in this mailing list.
> I'm sorry but I do not have the time to repeat again what we said. Now since I'm in a really good mood
> in a nutshell
>
> one repo per version Pharo1.0, Pharo11 ... MetacelloRepository
>        containing configurationOfXXX frozen = all the dependent packages are copied locally + configuration ready to load using load.
>
> a project
>        contain its single/or whatever configurationOfMyProject
>        people publish the config to their repository and if they want they push from their repository to the version repository
>        a version that they freeze (may be using tags)
>
> For Pharo core or pharo packages that we maintain we want to maintain it as a project.
> with its own repository and packages.
>
> Then we have a server that load configuration and barks if something wrong happen. And may be we kick out
> the configurationofXXX from MetacelloRepositories
>
>> Steph,
>> I understand how boring it may seem:
>> - you already discussed the subject over and over
>> - you already took decisions
>> and now we come later with new proposals, and ask you to reconsider
>> the work again...
>
> more than that. :)
> It looks like if we did not talk or think about what we are doing.
>

>> As for the Preferences/Settings, Pharo choices are probably very weel thought.
>>
>> However, every solution will come with trade offs, and it would be
>> good to have a rationale justifying the choices you made, and perhaps
>> more importantly justifying why you did abandon some solutions,
>> because some questions might be repeated in Pharo 1.2, 1.3, 2.0 ...
>> and find different answers in different context. Note that Squeak
>> evolutions might have influence on Pharo too, and it's part of the
>> context...
>>
>> I strongly encourage you to establish your rationale on Pharo grounds
>> - independently of Andreas proposals, put it on the Pharo wiki and let
>> us know the URL.
>>
>> You also know that Squeak goals are not exactly those of Pharo w.r.t.
>> backward compatibility, so Squeak can't just blindly replicate Pharo
>> solutions without a rationale.
>>
>> The merit of Andreas proposal is to try and establish such a
>> rationale. Without it, we're bound to repeat discussions again and
>> again,
>
> So to fix the problem consider that as our proposal.
>
> Stef

Re: [Metacello] Managing Pharo external packages with Metacello, please read!

Miguel Cobá
El lun, 17-05-2010 a las 09:49 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:
> I like the idea of tags.
> Now I still would like to be able to freeze a version. This way we could have a pharo10 distribution on a CD
> with all the code included.

But look at Debian for example. They release a stable release, lets say
5.0 on January 15th. This is a iso image that includes a given set of
package versions, lets say

Package A version 1.1
Package B version 2.0
Package C version 2.1

then they continue working on testing and unstable versions of the
distro. Of course as the software is used all around the world, the
users report bugs and the developers push new versions with the fixes to
the debian repositories. The fixes can be bug fixes, security fixes and
new features. Only the security fixes and severe bug fixes are pushed to
the stable release (as well as to the testing and unstable branches of
course). This security fixes are part of the security updates for stable
installations of the distro.
But.. after a given number of security fixes and severe bug fixes are
collected, they release an update for the stable release, even
generating new .iso files. Suppose that they release an update in May
1st. They could call it Debian GNU/Linux stable 5.0.1.

The point is, even if I downloaded the stable release on January 15th,
it is different from the version you download on May 1st. They are both
called debian 5.0 stable and nobody expect that they are bitwise
identical.

But, when you install from the version from January and after updating
it from the update stream, I get the same packages that the person that
install its server from the version of May 1st.

I think the same can happen to Pharo. You release a given set of
versions (in the form of configurationOfXXX) but that doesn't means that
those are inmutable. They will be updated to match the packages that fix
bugs in a given external package.

Now for the generation of the release, you simply script it to use the
latest #released version of a configuration. That is the way that
Metacello works currently, installing the latest released version by
default.

Cheers

> [...]
> > image and load the configuration, the only possible candidate version
> > to install is the 0.3, because is the only one marked to work in Pharo1.1.
> >
> > 4. A port to Squeak 5 is made. This likely will need a new baseline
> > because will need squeak specific packages to be included
> > (compatibility packages) and also maybe a Pharo compatibility package
> > will be made. Anyway, a new baseline indicating new packages
> > relationships will be made:
> >
> > ConfigurationOfPackage>>baseline02
> > "second baseline, it accounts for install in Pharo and Squeak"
> >
> > ConfigurationOfPackage>>version04: spec
> >  <version: '0.4'>
> >
> >  spec for: #common do: [
> >    spec blessing: #release.
> >    spec worksIn: #( 'Pharo1.0' 'Pharo1.1' 'Squeak5.0' )
> >    ... ].
> >  spec for: #squeak do: [
> >    ... ].
> >  spec for: #pharo do: [
> >    ... ].
> >
> > At this point the ConfigurationOfXXX is capable of install the last
> > version in Squeak and Pharo.
> >
> > If I start on Squeak 4.0 then even if I load the
> > ConfigurationOfPackage, no package will be installed because nobody has tested this.
> >
> > If I start on Squeak 5.0 only version 0.4 can be installed.
> >
> > If I start on Pharo 1.0 versions 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 and 0.4 can be installed
> >
> > If I start on Pharo 1.3 no package will be installed
> >
> > 5. Nobody updates the configuration for the Squeak 6.0 and 7.0 releases
> > but new versions are created for Pharo 1.3 and Pharo1.4. The code no longer works in Pharo 1.0 and Pharo1.1
> >
> > ConfigurationOfPackage>>baseline08
> > "second baseline, it accounts for install in Pharo and Squeak"
> >
> > ConfigurationOfPackage>>version09: spec
> >  <version: '0.9'>
> >
> >  spec for: #common do: [
> >    spec blessing: #release.
> >    spec worksIn: #( 'Pharo1.3' 'Pharo1.4' )
> >    ... ].
> >  spec for: #pharo do: [
> >    ... ].
> >
> > 6. Installing on Squeak 8 is again supported together with support for Squeak 7.0:
> >
> > ConfigurationOfPackage>>baseline04
> > "third baseline, it accounts for install in Pharo and Squeak"
> >
> > ConfigurationOfPackage>>version10: spec
> >  <version: '1.0'>
> >
> >  spec for: #common do: [
> >    spec blessing: #release.
> >    spec worksIn: #( 'Pharo1.3' 'Pharo1.4' 'Squeak7.0' 'Squeak8.0' )
> >    ... ].
> >  spec for: #squeak do: [
> >    ... ].
> >  spec for: #pharo do: [
> >    ... ].
> >
> > So the tags come and go as the support for given forks and releases are
> > tested.
> > Different versions of the Package package can work in different forks
> > and in different releases of those forks.
> > It is always the job of the interested parties to add support (that is
> > version methods and baselines, or simply tags to the worksIn: list) for

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Managing Pharo external packages with Metacello, please read!

I understand nicolas. Now my agenda is more than full.
and the proposal is here. Simple

One repo per version Pharo1.0, Pharo11 ... MetacelloRepository
       containing **published** configurationOfXXX
        -> all the dependent packages are copied locally + configuration ready to load using load.

A project
       contain its single/or several configurationOfMyProject with the complete history
       people commit the config to their repository and if they want they **publish** from their repository to the version repository
       a version. This version is frozen -> all the dependent packages are copied locally + configuration ready to load using load.

For Pharo core or pharo packages that we maintain we want to maintain it as a project.
with its own repository and packages.

We can use automatic build server to validate the status or migration between different repositories
> [...]
>>> and find different answers in different context. Note that Squeak
>>> evolutions might have influence on Pharo too, and it's part of the
>>> context...
>>>
>>> I strongly encourage you to establish your rationale on Pharo grounds
>>> - independently of Andreas proposals, put it on the Pharo wiki and let
>>> us know the URL.
>>>
>>> You also know that Squeak goals are not exactly those of Pharo w.r.t.
>>> backward compatibility, so Squeak can't just blindly replicate Pharo
>>> solutions without a rationale.
>>>
>>> The merit of Andreas proposal is to try and establish such a
>>> rationale. Without it, we're bound to repeat discussions again and
>>> again,
>>
>> So to fix the problem consider that as our proposal.
>>
>> Stef

Re: [Metacello] Managing Pharo external packages with Metacello, please read!

two points
        - let us try something simple that we can understand
        - second the latest only works if nobody publish a broken code in his repository.
        or you will have to publish the packages tagged 'latest but for stream pharo1.0'

So for now let us keep it simple and learn.

Stef

On May 18, 2010, at 4:17 AM, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez wrote:

> [...]
>>> spec for: #squeak do: [
>>>   ... ].
>>> spec for: #pharo do: [
>>>   ... ].
>>>
>>> So the tags come and go as the support for given forks and releases are
>>> tested.
>>> Different versions of the Package package can work in different forks
>>> and in different releases of those forks.
>>> It is always the job of the interested parties to add support (that is
>>> version methods and baselines, or simply tags to the worksIn: list) for
>>> a package in a given combination.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> --
>>> Miguel Cobá
>>> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

> Miguel Cobá
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Managing Pharo external packages with Metacello, please read!

Tudor Girba

I like this approach:
1. Projects can continue to be built independently. For example, in
Moose, we have already a process with multiple configurations (one for
each repository) depending on each other.
2. When ready, the Configurations and all related packages are
"published" in the PharoXXMetacelloRepository. Having a package per
Configuration makes it easy to copy it.

The only problem is that the code of Configuration mentions explicitly
the repository (especially in the case of having nested
Configurations, I point to a configuration by specifying the
repository, package, and class). So, I guess the simplest thing here
would be to provide the default "load" method to already override
dynamically all repositories with the PharoXXMetacelloRepository.

Cheers,
Doru

On 18 May 2010, at 09:32, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> [...]
>>>       containing configurationOfXXX frozen = all the dependent
>>> packages are copied locally + configuration ready to load using
>>> load.
>>>
>>> a project
>>>       contain its single/or whatever configurationOfMyProject
>>>       people publish the config to their repository and if they
>>> want they push from their repository to the version repository
>>>       a version that they freeze (may be using tags)
>>>
>>> For Pharo core or pharo packages that we maintain we want to
>>> maintain it as a project.
>>> with its own repository and packages.
>>>
>>> Then we have a server that load configuration and barks if
>>> something wrong happen. And may be we kick out
>>> the configurationofXXX from MetacelloRepositories

>>> more than that. :)
>>> It looks like if we did not talk or think about what we are doing.

>>> So to fix the problem consider that as our proposal.

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow."

Re: Managing Pharo external packages with Metacello, please read!

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes I think that this is what dale proposed.
Dale is off line today but he will probably comment
Stef

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I like this approach:
1. Projects can continue to be built independently. For example, in Moose, we have already a process with multiple configurations (one for each repository) depending on each other.
2. When ready, the Configurations and all related packages are "published" in the PharoXXMetacelloRepository. Having a package per Configuration makes it easy to copy it.

The only problem is that the code of Configuration mentions explicitly the repository (especially in the case of having nested Configurations, I point to a configuration by specifying the repository, package, and class). So, I guess the simplest thing here would be to provide the default "load" method to already override dynamically all repositories with the PharoXXMetacelloRepository.

Thanks Doru for pointing this. Actually, this was the only "problem" I found with the solution. My though about this where:

- I really don't care where they are the confs you depends on. I only care that YOU loads and runs perfectly.
- Maybe that other confs that you depend on are also in the same repo...but I don't think something bad to getting the conf from, for example, MetacelloRepository.

You can update the conf once you publish it and to use the PharoXXXMetacelloRepositopry instead of MetacelloRepository or whatever, but I don't think it is strictly needed. What it is needed is that it loads and works ok.  If other person, or even you, want to ALSO publish your dependences, great...

What do you think?

Cheers

Mariano

[...]

Well, the whole point of the "publish" idea would be to ensure a safe
and guarded place from which everything can be loaded.

If you depend on other repositories, these can disappear in time and
you are back to the same problem as now.

So, I think the only way around this problem is to produce
configurations that can load only from a controlled repository.

Cheers,
Doru

On 18 May 2010, at 12:03, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> [...]
> more importantly justifying why you did abandon some solutions,
> because some questions might be repeated in Pharo 1.2, 1.3, 2.0 ...
> and find different answers in different context. Note that Squeak
> evolutions might have influence on Pharo too, and it's part of the
> context...
>
> I strongly encourage you to establish your rationale on Pharo grounds
> - independently of Andreas proposals, put it on the Pharo wiki and let
> us know the URL.
>
> You also know that Squeak goals are not exactly those of Pharo w.r.t.
> backward compatibility, so Squeak can't just blindly replicate Pharo
> solutions without a rationale.
>
> The merit of Andreas proposal is to try and establish such a
> rationale. Without it, we're bound to repeat discussions again and
> again,
>
> So to fix the problem consider that as our proposal.

www.tudorgirba.com

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

Re: Managing Pharo external packages with Metacello, please read!

Stéphane Ducasse
+1
archives are like that.

On May 18, 2010, at 12:39 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I strongly encourage you to establish your rationale on Pharo grounds
>> - independently of Andreas proposals, put it on the Pharo wiki and let
>> us know the URL.
>>
>> You also know that Squeak goals are not exactly those of Pharo w.r.t.
>> backward compatibility, so Squeak can't just blindly replicate Pharo
>> solutions without a rationale.
>>
>> The merit of Andreas proposal is to try and establish such a
>> rationale. Without it, we're bound to repeat discussions again and
>> again,
>>
>> So to fix the problem consider that as our proposal.
>>
>> Stef

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Every thing has its own flow."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

Re: Managing Pharo external packages with Metacello, please read!

Dale Henrichs
Yes, I don't think that it is a good idea to modify the configuration
when it is published in the PharoXXMetacelloRepository.

In the end the reason for this discussion revolves around the desire to
provide a simple method for developers/users to load projects that are
"known/tested to work in PharoXX".

Creating a PharoXXMetacelloRepository means that we have a "white list"
of configurations that are"known/tested to work in PharoXX".

GoferProjectLoader provides  an API for loading projects from a target
repository. The API makes it very simple to load a particular project by
name, without having to specify more details about the version of groups
involved. It also means that one can arrange to do special things under
the cover of the GoferProjectLoader, like point to a different
repository based upon the version of Pharo that it is running in ...

I think that what we need in addition to a "white list" of projects, a
"white list" of  _versions_ that are "known/tested to work in PharoXX."

I think it would be straightforward to subclass/extend the
GoferProjectLoader to add the notion of a version/group "white list"
that records the exact configuration/version/group(s) that have been
tested and known to work. This same extension to GoferProjectLoader can
automatically include an overrideRepositories: to ensure that all
projects/packages are loaded from the PharoXXMetacelloRepository
repository...

By default, the GoferProjectLoader loaded into PharoXX would point to
PharoXXMetacelloRepository and use the "white list" of versions.

Once a developer/user has become comfortable using PharoXX, he/she can
configure GoferProjectLoader to suit his/her needs as well as directly
load Configurations/versions that are not on the "white list" (using
Metacello directly) without requiring any changes to the configurations
or where they originated from...

So in the end the following expression will do things differently
depending upon a) which version of Pharo it is executed in and b)
whether or not you are using the 'default' GoferProjectLoader:

   Gofer project load: 'SqueakDBX'.

All while using the same Configuration...

Dale

<[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>:

[...]

www.tudorgirba.com<http://www.tudorgirba.com>

"Every thing has its own flow."

Re: Managing Pharo external packages with Metacello, please read!

sound cool.
Estenban we need more :)

12